R.I.P. Guitar Player Magazine

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackwood

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
In news that will be shocking to no one, another magazine bites the dust, but it always hurts a bit when it’s a music magazine.

Guitar Player came out in 1967. I didn’t start reading it until the 80s.

They included flexi-discs from time to time which was always cool.

The magazine held an interesting spot between Guitar World and Guitar for the Practicing Musician, at least in the era when I started reading it. GP was a little more broad where you might find folk, jazz, blues and rock guitarists all covered in the same issue.

Final issue features Jimmy Page on the cover.

d9oe8GycX7y594BDvdfoa9-1200-80.png

On their recommendation, I bought an LP of a (then unknown) band called Steppenwolf. A few months later, WLS started playing Born to be Wild.

In 1976, I found a new release on Guitar Player records by Michael Bloomfield. If You Love These Blues, Play em as You Please features Bloomfield playing and explaining a wide variety of blues styles. Later rereleased on CD by Kicking Mule records.

I'll miss Guitar Player, just as I miss Tower Records and Korvettes.

https://www.discogs.com/release/306...If-You-Love-These-Blues-Play-Em-As-You-Please

I still have dozens of their mags. from the 70's, 80's and 90's stashed in a box; learned a ton of stuff from finding new & exciting artists; to their lesson sections. Stopped subscribing as the genres moved away from my preferred focus. Kinda wish I'd never stopped though.

I know I've kept those flexi-discs also, but man those things were definitely "flexi" and prone to scratching easily.

So no digital for GP, or is that staying with us at least?

https://www.guitarplayer.com/

I too have stacks of old GP mags. I still go through them from time to time, it’s especially fun to look at the old ads for gear and music lessons. I hope they continue online.

Like mentioned in a prior post, I also got the news on Sound & Vision stopping their print edition. This one hurts, as I read these front to back.

Back