R.I.P. Guitar Player Magazine

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stereophile, itself has been around for decades. I'm sure @Kal Rubinson could maybe tell us how long. I'm thinking about '69/'70?
Love it or hate it, it's survived.
Wiki says founded by J. Gordon Holt in 1961 or '62. That's further back than I thought. IIRC Holt was also writing the stereo column in Popular Electronics. His article Hafler vs Scheiber: 4 Channels on Disc 1970 propelled me into the world of Quad.

Last edited:
I think it’s been alluded to in some of the last-issue editor pages that the advertising just isn’t there like it used to be. That money is going to online advertising where it’s easier to track results and pivot quickly. So there’s just not enough money from ads to sustain always-increasing printing costs, mailing/distribution costs added to the fact that more and more people don’t see the need to pay for print material when so much is available online for free or next-to-nothing.

In the case of the guitar magazines, it must be tough to own so many titles and try to get enough advertising for each one. It would be neat if they’d take all those properties and create a mega-guitar magazine that had bits of all of them. But they’re probably better off investing in their web, YouTube and social media presence. It feels like for print, Guitar World will be the focus, but who knows how long that one will last.

Another thing... I assume Future is accountable to shareholders or at least is more corporate-centered than music-centered. If it isn’t making a good profit, it has to be killed. I’m guessing that applies to their non-music titles, too.
My guess is that they made the calculation that the US and the UK could only support one guitar magazine in each territory

I believe my first magazine subscription was Popular Electronics when I was in high school, back in the early 1960s. When I discovered Audio magazine, I subscribed immediately, and loved it for as long as it lasted. I imagine I continued with whatever it folded into (lost to time and age) and I don't believe I was without some sort of hi-fi or TV magazine until now.

This sucks.

As a subscriber to Sound & Vision, I’m with you there. Stereophile reviews equipment that costs about the same as typical home in Idaho, and they have boring reviews of boring music
I gave Stereophile a try, and I agree with you on the tests of equipment that most of us can't afford. Some of their music reviews were decent but when my subscription ran out, that was it.

Back