Radiohead - From the Basement Bluray - is the 5.1 actually mixed in surround?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil Palfreyman

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I have the DVD of this title but stumbled across mention of the BluRay whilst researching 1080i50 on BluRay (for reasons that will be obvious to some...)

...anyway, the DVD I have is stereo only, but I notice that the BluRay, although it's 1080i50 video, has a DTS HD Master Audio 5.1 audio stream!!!!!!

Does anyone have this and can they confirm if it's been mixed in surround? I'm assuming not 'cos we would have heard about it, right?

I have the DVD of this title but stumbled across mention of the BluRay whilst researching 1080i50 on BluRay (for reasons that will be obvious to some...)

...anyway, the DVD I have is stereo only, but I notice that the BluRay, although it's 1080i50 video, has a DTS HD Master Audio 5.1 audio stream!!!!!!

Does anyone have this and can they confirm if it's been mixed in surround? I'm assuming not 'cos we would have heard about it, right?

Are you talking about this one..it does have 5.1

amazon uk listing HERE

The surround on this disc is an ambient mix. It does, however, sound fantastic if you rip it and upmix it through SpecWeb!

I'd estimate that 98% of these blu ray concerts(live)have ambient mixes...I've got quite a few blu ray concerts and I can count on my fingers the ones I would consider discreet mixes...just a handful...I don't even attempt to compare these concerts to audiophile studio discs....very few measure up..it can be done...but seldom is achieved...

I'd estimate that 98% of these blu ray concerts(live)have ambient mixes...I've got quite a few blu ray concerts and I can count on my fingers the ones I would consider discreet mixes...just a handful...I don't even attempt to compare these concerts to audiophile studio discs....very few measure up..it can be done...but seldom is achieved...

The live material on "Stone and Steel" is discrete 5.1 and studio quality. The initial release has 1080i50 video, though, so may not play on US player/TV combinations.

Most Blu Ray concerts do not even have any ambiance in rears. Some even have faux looped crowd noises, such as Rush In Rio.

I'm eight years late to this but just want to add to this info. I'm playing this right at the moment. It have the DVD version and interestingly the Dolby 5.1 on the menu is described as 'Stereo 5.1'. It's not ambient, there's lots going on in all 5.1 channels. However, it sounds like 'all channel stereo', in fact I can't tell the difference when I shift to that on my AVR. I would suspect the blu-ray would be the same, possibly with increased definition.

Back