Rhino Quadio Batch 5 for August 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
based on the spines of the jewel case artwork that Foraging Rhino recently shared here, my best guess for the next Quadio batch is.. 🤞😅

View attachment 107185

from top L;

Bread "Baby I'm-A Want You" (Elektra),
"Graham Central Station" (Warner),
Bette Midler "The Divine Miss M." (Atlantic),
Duke Ellington "New Orleans Suite" (Atlantic)

alternative options for the Duke Ellington title depending on colour variation of the white on grey spine include;

Herbie Mann "Hold On, I'm Comin'" (Atlantic),
James Gang "Miami" (Atco)
This set of albums is quite consistent with the diversity of styles included in recent bundles.
Incredible sonics here besides a lot good music. But I'll hold of on commenting more until we get another clue, rather than count chickens.
And James Gang on Atco, I think Foraging would have said "Atco" is one of the labels if it were so. So your sense of color appears on.

Not any clues of a live album just yet. And it appears by the clues - no unissued quad mixes yet.

I think the fact that the album was released in 1972 and WEA didn't start releasing quad LPs until September of 1973 has a lot to do with this. Probably not wanting to oversaturate the market they chose to release the greatest hits album (which came out in stereo in 1973 as well, so it was the "current" album) and Baby I'm-a Want You as an "older" hit catalog album, having originally been released in January 1972.

Having said that however, it is possible that an unreleased quad mix of Guitar Man does exist - an interview with Jac Holzman (who aside from being president of Elektra Records was also in charge of WEA's entire quad program) in Record World magazine in March of 1973 had this little nugget:

View attachment 107189

Given that they only ended up releasing two, the most likely candidate for the third is Guitar Man - I definitely don't think it's referring to Best of Bread, Volume 2, which didn't come out until May of 1974, more than a year after this was written.
That sounds to me like three Bread albums in addition to "The Best of Bread"!

Stupid title for a band that only had 5 albums. LOL

Maybe The Stones could legitimately have a title like that.
Why is it stupid? Most of the tracks were bonafide hits. The Doors didn't just have one hit! Although "Greatest Hits" and "Best of" are used interchangeably, I would argue that to call a compilation "best of" requires no actual hits. Many bands had Greatest Hits packages culled from as few a three albums.
I wish that was the case but ..."Best of the Best of The Doors," Carly Simon and three Bread albums... is pretty definite, I think.
In my head I alway confuse the "best of" Bread and the Doors. That was why I was thinking of four Bread albums!

Why is it stupid? Most of the tracks were bonafide hits. The Doors didn't just have one hit! Although "Greatest Hits" and "Best of" are used interchangeably, I would argue that to call a compilation "best of" requires no actual hits. Many bands had Greatest Hits packages culled from as few a three albums.

In my head I alway confuse the "best of" Bread and the Doors. That was why I was thinking of four Bread albums!
It's stupid because, with only 5 albums, chances are they only have an hour's worth (or one album) of bonafide, charting hits.
To have a title like "best of the best of the best" implies that they have so many hits that it would take multiple albums to hold them.

It's stupid because, with only 5 albums, chances are they only have an hour's worth (or one album) of bonafide, charting hits.
To have a title like "best of the best of the best" implies that they have so many hits that it would take multiple albums to hold them.

Maybe it was just a typesetting or spelling error in the original article and not really worth nitpicking about, even...

Luckily they relented and just went with The Best of The Doors which allowed them to issue a full LP instead of a 7-inch single. :D
they were going to call it "The End Of The Doors" but that didn't leave much of a window of opportunity, so in order to keep the fanlights open they went to Paris and with the shutters up and the drapes drawn, a great defenestration flung The French Doors out on to an unsuspecting publique for the final curtain.. 😅😆

Luckily they relented and just went with The Best of The Doors which allowed them to issue a full LP instead of a 7-inch single. :D
Are you saying that they only had one worthy song? I'm guessing "Riders on the Storm", my personal least favourite track. The mashup with Blondie is rather cool though!

based on the spines of the jewel case artwork that Foraging Rhino recently shared here, my best guess for the next Quadio batch is.. 🤞😅

View attachment 107185

from top L;

Bread "Baby I'm-A Want You" (Elektra),
"Graham Central Station" (Warner),
Bette Midler "The Divine Miss M." (Atlantic),
Duke Ellington "New Orleans Suite" (Atlantic)

alternative options for the Duke Ellington title depending on colour variation of the white on grey spine include;

Herbie Mann "Hold On, I'm Comin'" (Atlantic),
James Gang "Miami" (Atco)
Good guesses, but still not seeing how you get black and dark red from Bette Midler. (not that there haven't been a couple of odd spines that didn't really match the album colors before. There have)

still going with "Bloodshot" for that one.

R.dc60b5e7c4a2a65b78fe861856c21b23

Last edited:
It does irk me that compilations labeled "The Very Best of [ARTIST]" are usually longer than their "Best of" counterparts. If it's truly the "very best," rather than the garden variety "best," the tracklist should be shorter.

I think the fact that the album was released in 1972 and WEA didn't start releasing quad LPs until September of 1973 has a lot to do with this. Probably not wanting to oversaturate the market they chose to release the greatest hits album (which came out in stereo in 1973 as well, so it was the "current" album) and Baby I'm-a Want You as an "older" hit catalog album, having originally been released in January 1972.

Having said that however, it is possible that an unreleased quad mix of Guitar Man does exist - an interview with Jac Holzman (who aside from being president of Elektra Records was also in charge of WEA's entire quad program) in Record World magazine in March of 1973 had this little nugget:

View attachment 107189

Given that they only ended up releasing two, the most likely candidate for the third is Guitar Man - I definitely don't think it's referring to Best of Bread, Volume 2, which didn't come out until May of 1974, more than a year after this was written.
No quad tape on Guitar Man.

Good guesses, but still not seeing how you get black and dark red from Bette Midler. (not that there haven't been a couple of odd spines that didn't really match the album colors before. There have)

still going with "Bloodshot" for that one.

R.dc60b5e7c4a2a65b78fe861856c21b23
just that the Bette Midler Quad LP has a red and black border around the artwork and the illustration of Bette on the cover has rouge, red lipstick, reddish hair, black mascara eye makeup, etc. that kind of thing really, just a stab in the dark and wishful thinking as it's one of my most hoped for Quad reissues, i know as much as everyone else! 👀😅

Back