Quad LP/Tape Poll Rich Mountain Tower: Rich Mountain Tower [EV/Q8/QR]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the EV/Q8/QR of Rich Mountain Tower - Rich Mountain Tower

• 10 - Great Surround, Great Fidelity, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6 -

• 5 -

• 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
I have just played both of these Ovation albums the first on CD the second on vinyl and it's weird I never noticed this before but the same song appears on both albums.
It's Circle Sky Moon Mix
If its quad on the first album it should be quad on the second and maybe the others are too. The songs on the second album may be from the same sessions as the first one and they may have repeated the same song perhaps planning to promote it as a single. I read somewhere the group was surprised by the second albums release on Ovation as they had never been told about it.
The music on both of these albums is good to me and reminds me a little of that of Southwind also from the same time period
Sometimes songs are redone and released on different albums. IMHO the second redone version is almost always inferior.

This brings to my mind "Turn to Stone" by Joe Walsh done first on Barnstorm and then again on So What. Also "Make Me Do Anything You Want" by A Foot in Cold Water, first done on the debut album then redone on "All Around Us". In fact about half of that last album were redo's, perhaps they ran out of material and had to fulfill a contract?

Other times a hit song (the same version) will see release on more than one album. That practice was common in the sixties where a lot of albums were mostly filler, the same hit was used to sell albums (over and over).

You didn't say if the second album produced any quad effect, so I assume that you just listened in stereo. I may pick up the other two albums as well (quad or not) as I really enjoyed that first one!

To reply above the phono stage on my Marantz 4400 is malfunctioning I have to play records on the mono setting and I get sound out of all 4 speakers so I don't know what I'm getting
Thankfully for digital my discs play fine thru it.

Back