Se-405 dilemma

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadchuck

I have a se-405 I got so long ago I forgot when and how much I paid for it. It has always been a lower middle of the road performance unit. I discarded the sc board and wired it only for mm use and once used box for a project but, I since have restored it to original as best I could. It does work, I just played Doors greatest CD-4 disc with a AT-14 cart. I can either get rid of it or scrap boards and use cabinet for other projects again, but will not restore unit rather I will toss internal boards.,
What say you?

Huh? My SE-405 is a wonderful performer.

Doug
I've had Pioneer Qx646 Qx949,SE 405,Harmon Kardon 800+ , Technics sh400, Heathkit 1507 and JVC 4dd demodulators.
I used an At15s with new needles ,but not until I got a AT14s and used it with a JVC4dd
did I finally have successful cd-4 playback
The AT14s works with all the units, but only the best performance comes from the JVC4dd.
Good to know the SE405 does perform. What cartridge do you use?

I have several. The following from a thread on another forum:

Pickering XUV - 4500Q, Empire 4000D (I, II, or III) Empire 440D, AT12S, AT14S, AT15Sa, AT20SLa, Stanton 780 with Q or 4DQ stylus, Panasonic EPC 450CII, EPC 451C semiconductor (strain gauge) cartridges.

The AT440MLa (b) cartridges, although not designated as quad cartridges, have been found to work well for CD-4. Maybe not quite up to the best cartridges designed for CD-4 in heavily modulate grooves, but generally good.

The Panasonic cartridges require a preamp/demodulator which can provide the bias current necessary for the cartridges to operate, of course. SE-405. SH-400 are the two most often mentioned

Some of the cartridges I listed have later versions, like the ATs. Styli with different designations but still CD-4-compatible.

I have all these cartridges with genuine styli and they all work fine.

Doug

Back