Steven Wilson's 20 Favorite British Rock Albums (One of Them Remixed to 5.1 by Stephen W Tayler)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always had a hard time with Genesis. On paper, they have every single musical element that I should love, but in practice it doesn't happen. I especially struggle with Peter Gabriel's vocal delivery.
I always could not stand Phil Collins, apart from "In The Air Tonight", so a few years ago I tried to listen to all the Genesis albums up to when Peter Gabriel left as I've always loved most of his solo materiel. I assumed that I would like it but I found 99% of it impenetrable, and it was somewhat surprising as it was from an era where the majority of my favourite music was made, and from one of my favourite genres.

Cool to see Diamond Head on Mr. Wilson's list.

Not only is Lightning To The Nations a great album, but they are still putting out great stuff.

I always could not stand Phil Collins, apart from "In The Air Tonight", so a few years ago I tried to listen to all the Genesis albums up to when Peter Gabriel left as I've always loved most of his solo materiel. I assumed that I would like it but I found 99% of it impenetrable, and it was somewhat surprising as it was from an era where the majority of my favourite music was made, and from one of my favourite genres.
I don't care for Collins "motown" revival stuff, but overall I think he did a great job with Genesis. I was never a Peter Gabriel fan until he went solo. Steve Hackett's solo work and some Genesis work I really like.
Different strokes.

The first 7 look like a list I'd make! (Except the Who.)
Something about that kind of dedication to being difficult must come across in his mixes too. I'm usually easy to please by his work.

Nursery Cryme thru Lamb are absolute favorites here though. Along with Hackett's first two. I thought Gabriel solo paled next to Genesis. The 3rd "melting face cover" self titled is a winner though. Brand X is OK. Floyd right up until Dark Side is still some of the most interesting music I've ever heard in my life. And Fragile/CTTE Yes and 72-74 Crimson. If someone could find that mirror thing from Stargate and find an alternate universe where Bruford made just one more album with Yes...

Hawkwind is another favorite. They somehow deliver the experience of tripping balls at a festival with their music. Going to be following Mr Stephen W Taylor after that Space Ritual remix!

It's funny that Steven Wilson has worked as a surround mixer of some Hackett live releases when you consider that most of the songs are covers of Genesis. I remember that he said that he doesn't think he can do a good job in mixing when he doesn't like the music. I guess this is an exception...

@rugene I guess it helps that SW and Hackett are good colleagues, and he likes his solo music. And I honestly think he doesn't dislike Genesis at all, he's just not a huge fan but enjoys some aspects of their music. He also performed vocals for the Genesis Revisited II album, in the song Can-Utility and the Coastliners (which, incidentally, I like quite a lot, except the last few seconds with those strained vocals by Gabriel - that part sounds so much more pleasant to me in the SW version, although I prefer the original version when it comes to the instrumental performances).

I am not sure what it means to enjoy some aspects of their music when he said clearly that he doesn't like Genesis. I presume he couldn't say no to Hackett since he had made multiple mixes of his solo music.

I am not sure what it means to enjoy some aspects of their music when he said clearly that he doesn't like Genesis. I presume he couldn't say no to Hackett since he had made multiple mixes of his solo music.

To be honest I've never heard that directly from himself - I've only read it on different sites (such as here) but never from the source.

I haven't watched this yet (uploaded yesterday), but he might say something about Genesis here:

Well, watching this... super interesting, and my hunch was correct! He likes Genesis, he's just not a big fan like he is of Yes, Pink Floyd or King Crimson (he also mentions Van der Graaf Generator). I repeat, he likes Genesis. He doesn't love Genesis, but he likes them.

Throughout the years I've found out it's uncanny how similar my tastes in prog rock are to his. I almost feel like he's reading my mind whenever I hear or read him talking about prog. Then when it comes to other genres it's a different story - he's for instance a lot more into 80's music than I am, but when it comes to prog, it's safe to say I'm going to love anything he recommends, and vice versa.

Bit of a disagreement with him on a specific topic though; despite my lack of love for Genesis and my Yes fanboy-ism, I find that Supper's Ready's structure is almost as good as Close to the Edge's. I think it's brilliant as a whole, and definitely more than a bunch of beautiful ideas put together. And he loves Gabriel's voice (interesting) whereas I loathe it (in Genesis - I kinda like it in his solo stuff). 100% agree with everything else he says about both bands in the video.

Last edited:
To be honest I've never heard that directly from himself - I've only read it on different sites (such as here) but never from the source.

I haven't watched this yet (uploaded yesterday), but he might say something about Genesis here:

Yes, he enjoys the Genesis Collins era and the album Nursery Cryme, but not much Foxtrott.

The "Apocalypse in 9/8" section they improvised in the studio is still one of the best things they ever recorded! I never realized how much they recorded off the cuff until hearing some interviews years later. Turns out it's all my favorite parts!

Back