Steven Wilson The Who - Who Are You (Steven Wilson Atmos Mix forthcoming!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do we know that Who By Numbers hasn't already been mixed in surround and is just waiting to be released? I thought I remember a rumor about that somewhere recently but might be mistaken.
I know there was a thread saying the master tapes had been recently found which raised speculation, but I don’t remember any confirmation that anyone was working on a multichannel release.

My favorite Who album is Tommy.
My second favorite is a toss up between “Who’s Next” and “Who Are You”. Depending on the day you ask me either could be second.
So I am as excited for WAY as I was for WN.
And hopefully, as someone surmised above, the box set should be cheaper given the lack of material ( compared to “Who’s Next”).

I always loved the video for the title track (as seen in The Kids Are Alright movie). The band's humor and camaraderie are on full display. Even Entwistle cracks the occasional smile. :cool:

Too bad the whole album wasn't done like this video. It is one of my all time favorites. It should of been the norm for classic rock bands back in the day to film the once through prior to the overdubs.

My favorite Who album is Tommy.
My second favorite is a toss up between “Who’s Next” and “Who Are You”. Depending on the day you ask me either could be second.
So I am as excited for WAY as I was for WN.
And hopefully, as someone surmised above, the box set should be cheaper given the lack of material ( compared to “Who’s Next”).
My fav is Quadrophenia then Tommy, Who's Next, Who Are You. And Live at Leeds is a killer live album. I saw the Who for the first time in 1968 (Fillmore east) and they were incredibly powerful.
The Who by Numbers is one Who album I never purchased

I am pretty sure they toured and I attended one of the shows. It was the first time I had seen them without Keith Moon.
This is the show I attended in a very small venue, The Capital Theater in Passsaic, NJ in 1979.
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-who/1979/capitol-theatre-passaic-nj-33d614bd.html

Well, some folks do refer to the '79 tour as the Who Are You tour, which perhaps it may have technically been. But it didn't start until nine months after the album's release and, most importantly, there was a new drummer in the band. I have a hard time imagining that they would include a concert with Kenney Jones in a Who Are You box set. Not that I'd mind. Replacing Keith Moon was obviously going to change the dynamic of the band considerably, but there were still some great shows on that tour, despite Townshend often looking like he was in very rough shape. (Thankfully he would clean up his act shortly after). So if they included a live show from that era I wouldn't actually complain although it would be a potentially controversial move. I posted a video up thread of a '79 performance of "Music Must Change" that I think is just great. Kenney is really swingin' on it.

But the 1979/1980 tours felt to me more like they were road testing the new version of the band rather than a tour for Who Are You.

And here's a little piece of music trivia for y'all. Shortly after the band offered Kenney Jones the gig, Phil Collins approached Pete Townshend about joining the band. (At the time, the band had yet to announce that Kenney would be the new drummer). Phil has stated that if he had been asked to join, he would have left Genesis. How different would the 80's have been?

Well, some folks do refer to the '79 tour as the Who Are You tour, which perhaps it may have technically been. But it didn't start until nine months after the album's release and, most importantly, there was a new drummer in the band.
If Keith Moon hadn't died, they surely would have toured sooner. Like you said, they were giving a test run with the new drummer but either way, they did play songs from Who Are You album...and remember the cover with Keith sitting on the chair that says "NOT TO BE TAKEN AWAY"

I always loved the video for the title track (as seen in The Kids Are Alright movie). The band's humor and camaraderie are on full display. Even Entwistle cracks the occasional smile. :cool:

Wasn't this an Easter Egg on the TKAA DVD?

Back