The Whos' "Kids alright"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bear

Reaction score
Ive seen the Who's, The Kids alright , in a few stores now and the packaging looks good. Has anyone bought this yet?

bear said:
Ive seen the Who's, The Kids alright , in a few stores now and the packaging looks good. Has anyone bought this yet?

In a word... AWESOME!!!. Great sound. Even better visuals. Great extras. They don't get better than this one. Even a 5.1 mix of Who Are You as a bonus. The documentary on the restoration is facinating too. They really took a lot of time and effort to get it right. One of my faves!

Bob Romano said:
In a word... AWESOME!!!. Great sound. Even better visuals. Great extras. They don't get better than this one. Even a 5.1 mix of Who Are You as a bonus. The documentary on the restoration is facinating too. They really took a lot of time and effort to get it right. One of my faves!

Cool ! - I may check it out then. Thanks

On Best Buy .com, there are two entries for the DVD of "The Kids Are Alright" - both widescreen - same release date - everything seems identical, except one is listed at $19.99 and one at $24.99. Is one of these a typo or are there two versions? Thanks.

Bob Romano said:

Cool!! This is a great Who film, and I'm on a Who kick since getting the new "Tommy" Deluxe Edition. BTW, how much of the movie is mixed for 5.1? Is any of it, or just the "Who Are You" mix?

bizmopeen said:
Cool!! This is a great Who film, and I'm on a Who kick since getting the new "Tommy" Deluxe Edition. BTW, how much of the movie is mixed for 5.1? Is any of it, or just the "Who Are You" mix?

The cheaper disc price loses the second disc of extras about the restoration of the film , which are very good. The film is remixed to 5.1 throughout, Who are you ? is a seperate video shoot with added 5.1

Check out Who Live at Royal Albert Hall concert too. It's awesome !

Manus

The only problem with the otherwise excellent "The Kids Are Alright" special edition DVD is the claim that all the clips now play at the correct speed. This is almost true, but not quite. Some of the material originally transferred from 25fps PAL video now plays 4% too slow, including interviews and "Anyway Anyhow Anywhere". I know it's tricky when a movie contains footage shot at different frame rates, but these clips could have been speed or pitch corrected. I wonder why they weren't?

Alright, at the risk of drowning us all in geek-speak, I'll bite...
Jaffaman said:
Some of the material originally transferred from 25fps PAL video now plays 4% too slow, including interviews and "Anyway Anyhow Anywhere".
how do you know that a given video source/film source is 4% too slow? How did you arrive at that number? How did you even discern that there was an issue? I imagine you realize that the previous home video versions of Kids Are Alright had much larger speed discrepancies, and that the producers of the new version have made an exemplary effort to "normalize" the tapes to their originally intended speeds.

It all comes down to the difference between US and UK frame rates. Film shot for cinematic movies runs at 24 frames per second. Film shot for US TV also runs at 24 fps. Film and video for UK TV runs at 25 fps.

When “The Kids Are Alright” was compiled, these two different speeds of film were thrown together. This meant that, when shown in the cinema or on US TV, the songs originally shot at 24 fps played at the correct speed but 25 fps footage played 4% slow. When the film was shown on UK TV, songs filmed at 24 fps played 4% fast and the 25fps footage played at the correct speed.

All VHS copies, around the world, were derived from a PAL master. American NTSC copies were merely frame-blended copies from that master video. It's impotant to remember that the film wasn’t sped up to deliberately shorten the movie. It was merely a side-effect of the 24/25 fps speed-up.

Now, with the restored movie on NTSC DVD, most of the songs run at their correct speed again. Most… but not all. Much of the UK TV footage now runs 4% slow. “Anyway Anyhow Anywhere”, shot at 25 fps for UK TV, is slow. Check it against your CD or record. The UK TV interviews are also slow. Melvyn Bragg never sounded that low in pitch on TV before. However, some songs like “Tommy Can You Hear Me”, originally shot at 25 fps, seem to have been pitch-corrected to avoid sounding wrong at 24 fps.

Confused? :mad:@:

This is the problem we PAL countries have with almost all movies transferred to video and DVD, and many US TV shows like “The Sopranos”. Most have to be sped up by 4.167 % to match our 25 fps frame rate. The majority of people don’t notice, but it always bugs me. A lifetime as an audio enthusiast and engineer in radio tends to make one picky.

Back