Steven Wilson Yes "Fragile" Super Deluxe Edition out in June with Dolby Atmos mix!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steven keeps redoing his old 5.1 mixes and adding atmos into the bargain. For those of us who don't have an atmos setup, I wish he would just focus on albums he hasn't done yet. I would love a Going for the One, Drama, 90125, or even a Tormato set.

No chance without the multitracks, which are missing for those albums as far as I know.

I've been following news about Going for the One being a possible surround release for years and I've seen two things of significance reported:

One, Wilson said on his Facebook page years ago the multi-track tapes were "unavailable" (a rather precise term to use).
Two, Steve Howe responded to a fan question on one of the "Cruise to the Edge" trips (again, years ago) that he thought that a surround mix had already been done, and that he was surprised by the question.

This makes me think someone/something is holding this up for whatever reason, not that the tapes have been lost.

We just moved to a house an year ago and not that my physical media collection is that extensive. I seem to have a gut feeling that any space will eventually run out and large box sets take more space. I have stopped buying vinyl even though I became nuts about collecting them. Blu-Rays take way less space and entertain you too.

Parkinson's Law - “Stock expands to fill the storage space available”

All of them? I'd heard they were missing for Going for the One, but not the others. Well how about Time and a Word or Yes?
I've read about Tormato, on the Yesfans website, that the multitracks have even been put on to digital files in readiness, but no-one wants to do the remix or pay for it. A shame, I have a soft spot for Tormato, an underrated album.

...Steve Howe responded to a fan question on one of the "Cruise to the Edge" trips (again, years ago) that he thought that a surround mix had already been done, and that he was surprised by the question.
I don't think Steve Howe was speaking from a place of insider knowledge, but rather he assumed that GFTO had been mixed by Steven Wilson like the other "classic" records.

Tormato is probably the album that would most benefit from a proper remix!
And GFTO. Both have anemic sound in their original stereo mixes.

The recent super deluxe of The Yes Album... did that one have a new 5.1 mix with the Atmos, was there just the older Wilson 5.1 mix, or does it have both?

As for this Fragile release, it contains a new 5.1 Steven Wilson mix (as well as Atmos) and not the 2015 Steven Wilson 5.1 mix nor the 2002 5.1 mix, right?

The recent super deluxe of The Yes Album... did that one have a new 5.1 mix with the Atmos, was there just the older Wilson 5.1 mix, or does it have both?

As for this Fragile release, it contains a new 5.1 Steven Wilson mix (as well as Atmos) and not the 2015 Steven Wilson 5.1 mix nor the 2002 5.1 mix, right?

According to his own liner notes in the edition, SW changed a couple of small, subtle things to the old 5.1 mix for The Yes Album, but it's pretty much the same as the 2014 one. I bought it last week and I've only listened to the Atmos mix so far, so I haven't had the chance to try and catch those subtle changes yet. There's only that 5.1 mix there.

The upcoming Fragile seems to be exactly as you say.

Nope this one has been done to death IMHO.
Let's put some of this energy into more deserving titles.
How about someone release a few box sets or bundles of the Black Jazz catalog
Weren't a lot those releases in QS encoded?

Reactions: LTW
From Steven's Facebook page:

YES (official)'s 1972 album Fragile is being reissued as a six-disc super deluxe edition by RHINO on 28th June. Pre-order here: https://rhino.lnk.to/FragileSDE

This follows the same format and approach that was taken on the recent The Yes Album super deluxe with a vinyl and CD remaster of the original mix, instrumentals, edits, rarities, live recordings, along with various versions of my remix of the album, including a newly created Dolby Atmos mix.

The blu-ray offers five versions of the album; 2024 Dolby Atmos Mix, 2024 5.1 mix, 2024 New Stereo Mix, 2024 Instrumentals, and 2024 Remaster of Original Mix.

Although the Atmos mix is newly created, the “new” stereo and 5.1 mixes are essentially very slightly tweaked versions of my 2014 mixes from the previous edition.

Back