Toshiba says HD DVD format isn't dead yet

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About 1080P LCD prices

These are not rare anymore and there are dozens priced in the magic $1400-up zone. Blu-Ray players are $300 now and probably less next year. Buying many Blu-Ray discs between $10-$20 and some a few dollars more.

Enjoy it today.

Chris:

I hope you are right about Oppo. I do not own one of their players; however, if they do release a player that will play all types of disks I will certainly purchase one.

Justin

I do too, but I guess I need to make it clear, I don't really have any inside information. I do know it has been considered, of course, but have no way of knowing if any decision has been made or will be made soon. I just believe that the next Oppo universal player set for release at some point, the DV-983H would seem to me to be the end of the line for that product type and a move to adding Blu-ray would be the logical next step now that the end to the format war is near. I wouldn't hold off buying a DV-980H if SACD/DVD-A playback is needed now. Who knows if my belief is correct or when it will happen if it does. I would think late 2008 would be the earliest release at this point. I still think the DV-980H is terrific but if a Profile 2.0 Blu-ray player was added, it would sure be a unique product and for the on a slim budget enthusiast like myself, would really be attractive. I don't have any idea what price would be possible either but if past history is any indication, Oppo could offer a very good player at a nice price and their pre-release testing, return policy and post-release firmware update support is excellent.

Chris

Having just received an HD A30 player for Xmas (from my wife - so I share in the cost), I'm less than pleased with the news - however, I will view this as a better quality DVD player for the time being. My big screen is 1080i and the improvement over DVD is noticeable but not enough to make me want to rush out and buy a Blu Ray player. I'll wait until I'm ready to invest in a 1080p screen - for now, my HD DVD titles can keep my SACD/DVD A titles company ;)

People who send back their players because of mass hysteria on other web sites and discussion boards are morons.

I do too, but I guess I need to make it clear, I don't really have any inside information. I do know it has been considered, of course, but have no way of knowing if any decision has been made or will be made soon.
Chris
Oppo must be at CES. Brian are you there????? Been a couple years since i have done CES, it is fun, but
If anyone is at CES ASK these guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People who send back their players because of mass hysteria on other web sites and discussion boards are morons.

People not keeping up with this on a frequent basis that just purchased an HD DVD player then heard the Warner announcement and simple analysis from the news sources could reasonably come to the conclusion that the format war will soon be over and HD DVD support will soon end. It isn't unreasonable for someone to return a player for a soon to be discontinued format. I would hardly consider them morons.

Chris

Until WB offers HD-DVD owners free replacement discs, and Toshiba announces that player production has halted, and Paramount & Universal stop releasing HD-DVD discs, they are over reacting to one studios announcement. Therefore: morons.

(How many people sent back their DVD-Audio and/or SACD players when Rhino/UMG/Sony (Pop/Rock) stopped making discs?)

I just came back from my small observation trip to CES, (needed to get back to Detroit to my work) and can report to you that HD DVD and Blu-Ray having the biggest presentation on the show and a lot of attention was directed to the Music Content, Dolby and DTS are greatly presented as well. I still feel that we need a better penetration of the market for all HD technologies but all and all things are looking very stable.

So no need to worry.

Until WB offers HD-DVD owners free replacement discs, and Toshiba announces that player production has halted, and Paramount & Universal stop releasing HD-DVD discs, they are over reacting to one studios announcement. Therefore: morons.

(How many people sent back their DVD-Audio and/or SACD players when Rhino/UMG/Sony (Pop/Rock) stopped making discs?)

Jon, we'll just have to disagree. Toshiba will stop making HD DVD players soon and Paramount and Universal will stop releasing HD DVD software as soon as their contractual obligations end. Recent first time HD DVD owners that might have been looking forward to the New Line Lord of the Rings trilogy, surely heard New Line announce that "Pan's Labyrinth", their first HD DVD will be their last. My best estimate, there are just under 1 million HD DVD players sold in the world, and about 3.5 million HD DVD's sold and a similar number of HD DVD's given away with players purchased. Most people in the world will not have even known anybody that owned an HD DVD player, it can go now and hardly a tear will be shed and it will.

The HD DVD numbers are tiny compare to DVD-A and microscopic compared to SACD. HD DVD has abou 10% of the HD disc market in Toshiba's own country, Japan. The Toshiba statement that HD DVD is gaining momentum in regions other than North America was made without even one specific example. The statement was hogwash, there are no examples.

Some owners of HD DVD players received this holiday will end up very bitter if no new HD software and especially the HD software they wanted will be available. The result, a percentage of that group won't ever be involved unless they return their HD DVD players now and either purchase Blu-ray or wait until the time is right to purchase Blu-ray. You and I have been through owning formats that quickly are left without support and software releases and it is just business as usual to us. Consumers that first purchased VHS then CD then DVD and missed all of the various tiny niche formats that came and went don't get it and won't like it. Like I said, it isn't a big number that recently purchased HD DVD this past holiday season, but every little part of this market matters now since it has an uphill battle anyway.

Several have asked me at various sites and my answer has been yes, return the HD DVD player and buy a Blu-ray player when you find one that meets your needs unless you are comfortable with owning an orphaned format, HD DVD works great and you can find some value for a period and the player also does a great job with DVD. Not many are excited about using the HD DVD player for DVD with their new HDTV. HDTV sales have been terrific and now is the time for Blu-ray to have a chance to ride that wave. I hope we see high resolution surround music find a market on Blu-ray and Warner might be willing to make another effort similar to the DVD-A effort, I don't know, but I can sure hope and having HD DVD go away is an essential first step.

Chris

I just came back from my small observation trip to CES, (needed to get back to Detroit to my work) and can report to you that HD DVD and Blu-Ray having the biggest presentation on the show and a lot of attention was directed to the Music Content, Dolby and DTS are greatly presented as well. I still feel that we need a better penetration of the market for all HD technologies but all and all things are looking very stable.

So no need to worry.

Alexander:

Thanks for the update.

Justin

No kidding! There's absolutely no reason to get rid of a perfectly good player. I'm still thinking about getting one and a lot of discs once they really start to drop (if & when it's truly dead). One of the boards here brought up a couple of titles only on HD-DVD that I would pick up in a heartbeat: Roy Orbison's "A Black & White Night" and the Eagles' "Live in Melbourne". Who knows, maybe they'll never get released on Blu-Ray. There's definitely other titles I'd pick up, too. I just can't afford (and it's not a wise decision) to pay premium prices for roughly two of the same things. :mad:@:

Morons or not, I would probably take a player back if I had just purchased it. I have been burned too many times before, and it isn't as much about the money as it is being too eager to buy something that has not yet proven its viability. I keep my $2,000 Toshiba SD-9200 Almost-DVD-Audio player as a reminder to avoid Toshiba like the plague.

If I just paid over $400+ I might consider it, but I agree you would have to be an idiot to return your player over mass hysteria on discussion boards. It's too late to return my player, but then I thought: "What if I could?" And the answer is "Hell No." I've only sunk in around $300 total for the HD-DVD thing, player and discs. What did I get? A nice new HD player that will up convert regular DVD's nicely. And...... 16 HD-DVD discs And the Blade Runner box set. I would have considered blu-ray as well had the price and offer's been the same. I'm still waiting for a sub $200 blu-ray player that has its specs right and does 1080p. I would consider paying a bit more if it includes DVD-A / SACD. I want to reward the first company that offers both of these options on any HD format.

The question going forward: is it worth buying HD-DVD's anymore without the discounted prices? The idea was I would save money in the long run buying the HD versions instead of the regular ones and wait for a format winner if there was one. Both formats would saturate the market and even if one format did not make it on a mass level, I'd still be able to buy a back-up unit. Now I'll save money by not buying anything or I might go with the original plan. Perhaps we'll buy fire sale HD-DVD items no problem. I own all the Quad formats, Beta, Laserdisc, recordable CD recorder that requires special discs to record, DAT recorder, Mac plus with 4 MB memory. What's the big deal about one more format as long as it doesn't cost much.. Well, the space to put all this crap in for one thing! :D

HD-DVD might live on as a back-up storage for computers. Perhaps not on the Mac, but on Windows machines. If that's the case, might as well put video and Hi def music on them. Who knows? Perhaps one might be able to put 10 - 15 Quad conversions on there at 24 bit / 96 kHz. HD-DVD might be around to reinvent itself as some small weird alternative and serve a different purpose than the "Home Theater Experience."

I would wait to see what happens with the whole HD thing. Wait for prices to fall a whole lot more before buying anything in either HD format.

Right, just enjoy what you have while the A/V world calms down a bit. No point in getting wrapped up with the people STILL arguing back and forth!

Your investment is low and value high; it gives you something to enjoy while you wait for that $200 Blu Ray player. I think that'll happen by end of this year.

Gee, why do I still have three DAT decks and thinking about un-boxing a friend's Beta HiFi to archive some band recordings I have in that format??? It's only dead if it stops bringing you joy or um, playing back correctly.

Last edited:
Right, just enjoy what you have while the A/V world calms down a bit. No point in getting wrapped up with the people STILL arguing back and forth!

Your investment is low and value high; it gives you something to enjoy while you wait for that $200 Blu Ray player. I think that'll happen by end of this year.

Gee, why do I still have three DAT decks and thinking about un-boxing a friend's Beta HiFi to archive some band recordings I have in that format??? It's only dead if it stops bring you joy or um, playing back correctly.

Tim:

Well stated. I know a guy that still playes around with a CED player.

Justin

Rumors are that Universal may drop HD-DVD this month! Supposedly their contract is coming up and they may jump ship. That would leave Toshiba holding the bag on a format with no software providers.

Over here it looks like the momentum has shifted towards Blu-ray for "Home Theater."

But here's what we should be watching for in the next year. If HD-DVD goes on as a recordable disc drive format for Windows. How many combo HD-DVD / blu-ray players are released and at what cost. If Toshiba throws in the towel with HD-DVD. Or instead reinvents HD-DVD as a player for up converting regular DVD players. What happens if the market is flooded with sub $50 HD-DVD players. When do we get sub $200 blu-ray players that has its specs right and does 1080p. If DVD-A / SACD is added to HD players. More HD Hi-Rez music titles. And if HD downloads happen or is even feasible. Directv's recordable HDTV drives can now be had for $300 with free installation. What if they offer pay-per-view same day as disc releases? What if Toshiba offer’s a HD-DVD recorder option in these units because blu-ray can’t / won’t.

And most important of all.... How much saturation any HD player in any format makes against standard DVD. How many people actually switch from DVD to blu-ray in the next 12 months. Even with possible sub $200 players will blu-ray need to offer free discs and other incentives to entice people to switch from regular DVD. When will all the movies studios discontinue making regular DVD’s because the HD disc format has made it beyond a niche item.

It should be interesting to see where we’re at in February 2009 with the HDTV switchover.

Last edited:
Back