Trip to a Record Store - What's Your Latest?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to a record show today and found this album that I’ve not seen before. Looks interesting and the vinyl looks clean and shiny. Will listen to it later today.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3 MB
Zia Records are thriving in Arizona and in Las Vegas. I just spent $307 at the Zia on Sahara in Las Vegas on Black Friday Record Store Day. Two new Zia's have opened in the Phoenix metro area in the last year. I went to the Zia by my work today during lunch, a very rare occasion where I didn't buy anything. I was really just curious to see if they had any RSD merch left, which they didn't.
I was just at the Rainbow Ave Zia's here in Vegas earlier this month. Good selection, was just going to get 3 newer CDs that were on sale. Not a lot of surround, what they had was mixed into the CD section. Tons of used music and movies. First time I set foot in a music store in a decade+. Might be another decade+ until I do that again, literally walked out with only the 3 discs I went in for. I just get what I want online usually for the same or lower price, and I don't have to hunt through a store/drive anywhere to get it. But it was nice to be reminded why I don't bother anymore.

I used to visit the music store weekly as a teen and early into my college daze. This was well before ecommerce. The moment I could get shit mail order or online for cheap, I abandoned the local hunt.

Vintage Vinyl used to be the Varsity Movie Theater where I attended many many saturday matinees and then later saturday night midnight videos.
There is a better record store called "the Record Exchange" on South Hampton. It has been in business for 48 years. Vintage Vinyl almost that long but not quite.

Depending on ones music preferences one might prefer one over the other. I think Record exchange has more classical and more CDs which is what I kind of look for. They had all their matrix quad LPs, with the audiophile LPs, which made them easy to go through. I think Vintage Vinyl has a lot more of stuff I don't shop for.

Last edited:
@gene_stl "subscriber of St. Louis and other symphony orchestras!!"

@Clement Have been in Vintage Vinyl. great store!! Got a parking ticket in front of it w/rental car!! My then partner's son had his wedding banquet 20 years ago at Four Seasons in St. L He got married in a little Orthodox Church tucked away in the woods that held about 30 people!!

On another trip, I closed a national cartridge deal for remanufactured toner in our skybox at old Busch stadium. Walgreen got several railcars at each regional whse. We took them on a tour of our plant. Went back to our St. L branch after tour. That was across the highway from Westport. West County...

On another trip, we met Jeremy Brett (PBS Sherlock Holmes) RIP We had an informal chat at Westport Playhouse with him and other members of our literary club. Banquet the next night at Creve Coeur Country Club. all set up by KETC.

Don't recall the name of the store. There was a great vintage record store near Washington University in St. L. nice store, too

Gimme two orders of TOASTED RAVIOLI!!

BTW: this thread is meant for any visit to a record store, even local ones.

Once upon a time, I spent a week in MN each month. Tried not to miss DITV!!
First purchase from Down in the Valley:
1977 new release LP Loving is Why - Sons of Champlin.
Alameda County hippie funk

Between COVID, retail apocalypse and two bouts with cancer, I haven't been to a record store in three years. That was nearly $300 at Rolling Stones in Norridge, IL. Despite this, I managed to spend thousand$ each year on discs.

Gainesville, Florida (I worked nearby for 13 years) used to have a fabulous record store, though I have not been in a very long time.
I had an intern/UF student, we would talk a lot about older music. He would go find the LP's and play them. On weekends we'd walk around downtown Gainesville clubbing and dropping in on local bands playing (free) in various houses around the general University area.

I think the first one I suggested was Twelve Dreams of Dr Sardonicus. He found it and we listened one weekend at his apt. Many others followed, he managed to find them all at that record store. But if the store still exists, it's about an 85 mile drive for me and not keen on city traffic these days.

I forget Mould is from the midwest (I think Minnesota). You don't see those stocked many other places.
He attended Macalester University in St. Paul and went on to form Hüsker Dü. I saw them play live a couple of times in the early 80s, and they ended the shows with the theme song from The Mary Tyler Moore Show, which was set in Minneapolis!

Silver Platters in Lynwood WA (suburb of Seattle) Dec.8
Easy Street in West Seattle Dec.9

Platters still a great place to shop, not so much for Easy Street. Cool place to hang out but CD selection is minuscule and used vinyl has been relegated to foot level below new vinyl.
Sorry, not into crawling on the floor

Today i made the pilgrimage to the Minneapolis Cheapo Records! KILLER selection of LPs, CDs, DVDs, and Blu-Rays. Multichannel music again mixed in the stacks.
View attachment 99296

View attachment 99297View attachment 99298View attachment 99299
View attachment 99300View attachment 99301

The pics I'm seeing makes the stores look huge. The biggest store we have in our area is Josey Records. It's pretty nifty 2 floors & reasonably close to me but I rarely go there. Why? Old Codger Alert: they play music so loud you can't even converse with the store clerks or concentrate while you browse. I feel like Marty McFlies high school principal.

Sadly after 20+ years one of my favorite record stores just closed, Vinyl Renaissance. They had a separate section for quad records & audiophile direct to disc stuff. Bought a few SACD's there & a couple of LP's. Small but very nice selection of 'tronics & speakers, etc. But the owners just decided to retire...

Back