Van Morrison "Moondance" (Standalone Blu-Ray with Steven Wilson Dolby Atmos mix coming in December!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if this works on the Rhino USA store, but if you order from Warner Music Canada you can use the code STUDY30 for 30% off. It took off 9 dollars which essentially paid for my shipping.
Just tried it on an order I wasn’t going to follow through with... didn’t work for the Rhino US site. But it was worth a try. Thanks for sharing it, especially for those in Canada.

Good news, my BR from years ago doesn't play, replacement time.
Well that scared me... haven't heard of this being a known problem disc, like Aqualung or Dark Side from the Immersion box. Anyone else having issues with the 2013 Moondance Blu-ray?

Anyway, mine is playing right now and appears to be working just fine. And sounds great and has lifted my mood. And Into The Mystic just started as I'm typing this, and man, what a wonderful song it is, no matter how many times I've heard it, each time it transports me, all over again.

I think I'll make an MKV backup of this disc, just for peace of mind. Not planning to buy the new standalone release, since I don't have an Atmos system, and already have the Scheiner 5.1 mix right here.

I am, no matter what I try, mine won't play. I guess the fact that I sold mine may have something to do with it. lmao :LOL:
Ha. Not a fan of the album? Or Morrison in general? It doesn't rank up there with Astral Weeks for me, but it does have a smattering of classic songs, and the surround mix helped me rediscover my appreciation of the album overall.

Ha. Not a fan of the album? Or Morrison in general? It doesn't rank up there with Astral Weeks for me, but it does have a smattering of classic songs, and the surround mix helped me rediscover my appreciation of the album overall.
Oh, I love it. It was part of a massive sell off of physical stuff to pay for new stuff.

However people might buy or bundle this, don’t forget the code: CC22SLA15WMG

It’s not a huge discount if you’re just pre-ordering this title alone, but every bit helps. It takes $3.75 of this one.
Thanks much for the heads up...I just used this code mins ago for the Van Morrison "Moondance" Blu-ray pre-order.

Ok, how did I manage to miss this...Van Morrison "Moondance (Deluxe) (Blu-ray)" available for pre-order ($24.95) via the RHINO home store page (yes, I was surfing the site tonight to see if any "new" Quadio info. was listed but instead came across this pre-order, release date 11/3/2023). Several high-res options listed including a Steven Wilson Atmos (2022) mix!

The Atmos mix is Steven Wilson's and it is sublime.
The 5.1 is the 2013 Elliott Scheiner mix.
There are new stereo and instrumental mixes on the disc from Mr. Wilson.
We also included the OG remastered stereo mix from the 2013 Deluxe Moondance by Denny Purcell at Georgetown Mastering. I don't think I credited him properly on that release.
@ForagingRhino, any reason why no Steven Wilson 5.1 mix?

I listened to the Apple Music Atmos mix of Moondance, never heard the previous 5.1 mix. Does anyone else think the Dolby Atmos vocals from the center channel are way too loud and the horns are too low in volume? I feel the center channel vocals overpowers everything else particularly on It Stoned Me. JMHO

Last edited:
Not really, the horns on that first track are in the front right & rear right height speakers for me and sound plenty prominent. No issues with vocal level either.

What albums of Van Morrison does Warner Brothers have control over? I'm not sure how to even begin looking into stuff like this, and I only learned yesterday that Quadio doesn't have the rights to use any Hard Nose the Highway quad mix, if one exists.

And once he found out, he issued a statement saying (in part) "My management company at that time gave this music away 42 years ago and now I feel as though it’s being stolen from me again":
https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/van-morrison-unhappy-with-deluxe-reissue-of-moondanceCan only assume he won't be happy about this new release either...
Van and/or his management may not control what happens with Moondance, but would he not still earn royalties, performance and songwriting?

Back