Worst Hit Radio Single Ever Recorded

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This kind of stereo was provided in receivers made before the FCC approved the Zenith-GE system of stereo broadcast.

In addition to a position for a forthcoming demodulator for whichever system won, these tuners could play stereo sent by:
- An AM station and an FM station
- Two FM stations
- Mono
That H-K tuner that was in the hifi I’ve been talking about had an AM - FM stereo mode, as it had separate tuning dials for each band. It also had a swith position labeled “FM-MPX” which needed an accessory module (the thing had tubes in it, and I never actually had the chance to dig into it - too you g at the time).

I believe it had a stereo preamp, so stereo (real stereo, not just band steering crap) records were known at the time.

My dad built a hi-fi in 1962 or so. The tuner was Harmon Kardon, and it had a strange combination of “stereo” modes
We had a circa 1972 Lafayette with a rotary switch that could do:
  1. Standard stereo
  2. Reverse stereo (channel swap)
  3. Mono
  4. Both channels to the right speaker
  5. Both channels to the left speaker
  6. The left channel to both speakers
  7. The right channel to both speakers
The tape monitor was also a rotary switch that could do:
  1. Off
  2. Stereo
  3. Left channel to both speakers
  4. Right channel to both speakers
I remember taking advantage of 3 and 4 to record mono material to one track of a 4-track stereo tape but get it to play back in both speakers.

Little Willy Willy won't, go home. You can't tell Willy no, Willy won't go.

I mean I loved it at the time, but what?

“Honey” by Bobby Goldsboro
Billboard Hot 100: #1
Billboard Hot Country Songs: #1
Billboard Adult Contemporary: #1
Canada Top Singles: #1
Canada Country Tracks: #1
UK Singles: #2
Australia Go Set National Top 40: #1
Ireland #1
New Zealand: #1
South Africa: #9

So yes, one of the greatest songs of all time at taunting Rock/Prog aficionados throughout the English speaking world.

Although, to this day, there are a lot of songs that I despised growing up, (I know, I’m going to piss a lot of people off with this one) I hated American Pie by Don McLean. Also, I didn’t much like Rock On by David Essex but this one eventually grew on me.

Feel free to Post as much as you like with as many songs that you can remember. I know I will. :)

"Rock On" trivia: It was produced by Jeff Wayne, who then went on to record his Musical Version of The War of the Worlds, which became an international sensation is now a multichannel classic.

Personally, I can't see how this thread has gotten to Page 9 with no mention of Anita Ward's "Ring My Bell" as the worst hit single of all time.

Billboard Hot 100: #1
Billboard Hot Country Songs: #1
Billboard Adult Contemporary: #1
Canada Top Singles: #1
Canada Country Tracks: #1
UK Singles: #2
Australia Go Set National Top 40: #1
Ireland #1
New Zealand: #1
South Africa: #9

So yes, one of the greatest songs of all time at taunting Rock/Prog aficionados throughout the English speaking world.
Right up there (or down there, in my estimation) with “Little Green Apples”:

“God didn’t make little green apples/and it don’t rain in Indianapolis in the summer time…”

Although, to this day, there are a lot of songs that I despised growing up, (I know, I’m going to piss a lot of people off with this one) I hated American Pie by Don McLean. Also, I didn’t much like Rock On by David Essex but this one eventually grew on me.

Feel free to Post as much as you like with as many songs that you can remember. I know I will. :)
I also didn't like "American Pie" when it first came out. At the same time I recognised it as big hit material and it was! Over the years it grew on me.
I always liked "Rock On" although not near the top on my hit list. The quad version (as is often the case) adds a lot, it's much wetter than) the stereo version. Don't forget Danny Romalotti (Michael Damian) from "The Young and the Restless" or as my friend used to refer to his favourite soap "The Hung and the Breastless"; I liked Michael's version better than the original!

That H-K tuner that was in the hifi I’ve been talking about had an AM - FM stereo mode, as it had separate tuning dials for each band. It also had a swith position labeled “FM-MPX” which needed an accessory module (the thing had tubes in it, and I never actually had the chance to dig into it - too you g at the time).

I believe it had a stereo preamp, so stereo (real stereo, not just band steering crap) records were known at the time.

The 45/45 system of stereo records (what we use today) began marketing in late 1957.

The FCC approved the Zenith-GE multiplex system for FM stereo in 1961.

The AM-FM and FM-FM systems used two stations to send stereo until a multiplex system was approved.

The multiplex adapter had to be an add-on because they didn't know WHICH multiplex system would be approved.

Most people expected the Crosby system (owned by singer Bing) would be approved with its lower noise. But the FCC approved the Zenith-GE system because it would be harder for an accidental out-of-band interference event to occur.

“Honey” by Bobby Goldsboro
Bobby Goldsboro deserves a lifetime achievement award for "protect your face" level sonic idiocy. Not just "Honey", but let's also recognize "Watching Scotty Grow" and "Summer (The First Time), where Bobby warbles about his first boink, "But I saw the sun rise as a man!" Just shoot me now! They should have looped all three songs for high-volume playback at the Waco Branch Davidian compound to force their surrender.

I think Bobby's still alive, but retired after a long residency at Branson. Fun fact: Bobby "produced" Burt Reynolds' only album, circa 1971 or so. Needless to say, Burt couldn't sing.

Back