Yes - Talk 30th Anniversary set (No surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Listening to the main album of this new set today reminded me of how good this album is. I only got it for the first time a decade ago, but immediately loved songs like The Calling and Endless Dream. There are a couple of moments of stereo panning that begs for a surround mix if it had been possible.

With all the classic Yes albums you could package and repackage, I’m still surprised we got this. I hope we get more from the Rabin era.

The bonus disc is a mixed bag. I think The Calling is one of the most joyous sounding songs Yes ever wrote, so hearing three versions back-to-back-to-back isn’t a problem. And a blast of the first part of Endless Dream is always welcome.

The Endless Dream demo did feel a bit... endless. It’s a one-and-done listen and I struggled not to press the button for the next song. The other instrumentals are OK, but I don’t think they’ll get repeated listens.

The live show is cool simply from the standpoint that they played six of the seven songs from Talk. I guess we were still in that period where a band would play the new album and not primarily the classics. Most of the setlist is from Rabin’s time in the band.

I already had that show. This new version appears to be missing Perpetual Change that started the show. And it seems they cut half of The Calling. Unforgivable.

The order of the show is slightly different, too. (Roundabout in the middle of the set instead of the end.) Sound quality edge goes to the new version for my ears, but not by a ton. Haven’t listened to it in full yet.

I’m OK if we need to work backward... bring on Big Generator.

With all the classic Yes albums you could package and repackage, I’m still surprised we got this. I hope we get more from the Rabin era.

I’m OK if we need to work backward... bring on Big Generator.
Different record labels Talk was on a new start up label, Victory Music, that self-destructed not long after Talk was released. So the rights to Talk were ripe for a licensing deal.

All the Atlantic Yes records have been getting Deluxe Box sets semi-chronologically. And Steven Wilson already did remixes of The Yes Album (1971), Fragile (1971), Close To The Edge (1972), Tales from Topographic Oceans (1973), and Relayer (1974) - so next up should be 1977's Going For The One

Different record labels Talk was on a new start up label, Victory Music, that self-destructed not long after Talk was released. So the rights to Talk were ripe for a licensing deal.

All the Atlantic Yes records have been getting Deluxe Box sets semi-chronologically. And Steven Wilson already did remixes of The Yes Album (1971), Fragile (1971), Close To The Edge (1972), Tales from Topographic Oceans (1973), and Relayer (1974) - so next up should be 1977's Going For The One
Good point on Talk.

I think if I’ve taken anything from the past couple of years it’s to look forward to the unexpected which includes:
  • A Talk deluxe version.
  • Creatures of the Night getting a deluxe version before other, earlier Kiss albums.
  • Rhino going all-in with quad.
  • Rhino creating new quad for Joni Mitchell.
The list goes on. At this point in my mind, just about anything is on the table and possible.

I lose track with Yes... was it confirmed that there are tapes available for Going For The One to enable surround? Or maybe the question was over Tormato? I believe someone was holding up Drama from getting the surround treatment, but then again I’m never sure how accurate these stories are.

I bought the album when it came out and saw the Montreal concert from that tour. The concert was actually done in Surround sound so I'm hoping it was recorded so it could be mixed and released in that fashion.

I was surprised to see that Supertramp's Roger Hogdson had co-written one of the songs from the album (which is a good song). I'm wondering how that came about.

Last edited:
I was surprised to see that Supertramp's Roger Hogdson had co-written one of the songs from the album (whoch is a good song). I'm wondering how that came about.

When Jon Anderson left Yes in the late 80's to form ABWH, Yes approached Hodgson as a potential replacement. Hodgson turned the offer down, but struck up friendships with both Rabin and Squire. The song "The More I Look" on Hodgson's 2000 album Open the Door features keys, guitar and vocals from Rabin. Apparently there is more material that Hodgson worked on with both Squire and Rabin that has never been released.

Last edited:
I was surprised to see that Supertramp's Roger Hogdson had co-written one of the songs from the album (whoch is a good song). I'm wondering how that came about.
According to the included booklet, the song originated with Roger and Trevor working together on something in 1990.

Back