ZZ Top - Greatest Hits DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked it up today and yes it does have DTS and Dolby surround but I am afraid it falls into the "Stunning 5.1 Surround" category. To me it sounded like the rears were basically the same as the fronts with the vocals not so prominent. Saying that I'm still a ZZ Top fan so I'm happy to have it in my collection.

MacDaddy said:
I picked it up today and yes it does have DTS and Dolby surround but I am afraid it falls into the "Stunning 5.1 Surround" category. To me it sounded like the rears were basically the same as the fronts with the vocals not so prominent. Saying that I'm still a ZZ Top fan so I'm happy to have it in my collection.

Thanks for the feedback. I bought it but it is unopened as I was not sure whether I wanted to keep it or not. I guess I need to make a decision on it. Even though it is not discrete is the sound quality at least decent?

Guy Robinson said:
Does anyone have this yet? It was released on Tuesday and appears to have DTS Surround.
Does the 50 minute disk have PCM also? Amazon doesn't even list it as dts, and neither does dvd planet. I guess I'll just have to check it out at Best Buy tomorrow.

narcopolo said:
Does the 50 minute disk have PCM also? Amazon doesn't even list it as dts, and neither does dvd planet. I guess I'll just have to check it out at Best Buy tomorrow.

Unfortunately I can't answer this as I returned it and picked up a few more SACD's instead. BestBuy has 20% off SACD's/DVD-A's this week so I took advantage of that.

Guy Robinson said:
Unfortunately I can't answer this as I returned it and picked up a few more SACD's instead. BestBuy has 20% off SACD's/DVD-A's this week so I took advantage of that.
I was just there and they have no 20% off sign near the sacd section. I saw the zz top for 16.99. says dts but nothing about linear pcm, so passed on it. saw a really nice new fleetwood mac live dvd set (linear pcm) in the cd section, but was sort of pricey (22.99 or so). Left empty handed.

narcopolo said:
The audio options available on the disk are listes as "Stereo, Dolby Surround and DTS Surround". There is no further information on sound. One more thing the picture aspect is 4X3 as it was originally.

MacDaddy said:
The audio options available on the disk are listes as "Stereo, Dolby Surround and DTS Surround". There is no further information on sound. One more thing the picture aspect is 4X3 as it was originally.
That's interesting. Wonder if the stereo is dolby digital. Hope not.

narcopolo said:
I was just there and they have no 20% off sign near the sacd section. I saw the zz top for 16.99. says dts but nothing about linear pcm, so passed on it. saw a really nice new fleetwood mac live dvd set (linear pcm) in the cd section, but was sort of pricey (22.99 or so). Left empty handed.
Best Buy Canada has the sale

Turns out the stereo track is dolby digital. Gotta wonder why they did that. LPCM would have fit fine, I think. Its almost a non-issue though, since the dts downmixes nicely. No booklet was inside. Got it for 12.99 at Smith's Marketplace. Coupon for $3 off up to 4 dvds and it was stickered at 15.99. Last one in the store, too, probably because it was totally mis-filed, probably by a customer who carried it around for awhile and then just put it back.

very old thread...i see for sale many used copies, some specify 5.1 sound, but the majority just say stereo on the back cover: so is a mistake or just some editions have a multichannel track? thanks to anyone would share this info

very old thread...i see for sale many used copies, some specify 5.1 sound, but the majority just say stereo on the back cover: so is a mistake or just some editions have a multichannel track? thanks to anyone would share this info
According to various listings on Discogs, there are some versions that only note a stereo track, and some that note 5.1 Dolby Digital and 5.1 DTS (with artwork that may or may not include those logos). My advice is to identify the version you want using Discogs. For example:
https://www.discogs.com/release/7712504-ZZ-Top-Greatest-Hits-The-Video-Collection

I wondered how can you have a ZZ Top greatest hits and leave off LaGrange. !

Back