Best/Easiest Program to Rip MKV Music Tracks from blu ray discs?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Bruzonsky

400 Club - QQ All-Star
I have bought some Dolby Atmos albums from Immersive Audio Album online, which I have placed on a flash drive which I can insert and then play the albums and tracks on either my Oppo 103 or a Pioneer Blu-ray player in my heater and Family Room.

I have many Dolby Atmos blu ray discs. I can play the discs on the above Blu-ray players or via Kaleidescape system, as I have them in my Kaleidescape Blu-ray vault.

I would like to rip the music, albums, and tracks to simply play the downloaded Dolby Atmos albums via the flash drive.

What Windows program provides the easiest and simple solution for doing this?

I just tried MakeMKV yesterday with the new Deep Purple Machine Head blu ray. I was able to easily rip it, but only the entire album to one file without individual tracks. I went through the menu and couldn’t see anywhere to list/rip the individual tracks.

Music Media Helper, super easy in splitting a single MKV file into chapters (tracks).
Invented by our own QQ member @HomerJAU.

Yes, MMH will split an MKV file created by MakeMKV and can semi auto rename the files (based on the song titles found from a lookup MMH does from the MusicBrainz online music database)

My experience with letting the apps mentioned above split to chapters is little boundary dropouts with audio that segues (gapless). I've been on autopilot with MakeMKV ripping to a single audio file and then splitting manually. Something to do since we don't get album covers to play with anymore, right?

Has that been surmounted by chance?

My experience with letting the apps mentioned above split to chapters is little boundary dropouts with audio that segues (gapless). I've been on autopilot with MakeMKV ripping to a single audio file and then splitting manually. Something to do since we don't get album covers to play with anymore, right?

Has that been surmounted by chance?

Splitting TrueHD and DTS-HDMA will break 'gapless' playback as players need a little time to sync at each new file when bitstreaming to AVRs. Than can be solved by using a CUE file with a single (unsplit) file (mka or mkv etc). There a re only a handful of truly gapless albums around. Most remain unaffected.

Players like Kodi can play TrueHD and DTS-HDMA in a m4a file which can be easily tagged including album cover art. Many players can't play TrueHD in a m4a though. (* TrueHD include Atmos TrueHD).

Typically (as a Kodi user) I split most my BDAs to tagged m4a and use a cue for gapless albums and concert BDVs (a concert is usually a continuous film of the event, so is gapless).

Both file tagging and using a CUE file enables Kodi to scan the metadata to load into Kodi's music database. Kodi navigates, filters, searches via its database - incredibly fast!

I figured the cue file might be the only workaround other than manual intervention. Funny how that made a resurgence with all this!

I guess I like the simple straightforward music player apps like VOX. I drag/drop whatever I want to play from a file browser window. The Kodi GUI is just... why?! Converting to something like flac with no encoded anything was always the old SOP too. Old habits and all. Not sure I mean to defend any of that mind you!

But if anyone splits their mkv file and does it before ripping to flac and if there were segues, now you have gaps. Remember the very old crippled CD ripping apps with that limitation? Just like that. So watch out!

Splitting TrueHD and DTS-HDMA will break 'gapless' playback as players need a little time to sync at each new file when bitstreaming to AVRs. Than can be solved by using a CUE file with a single (unsplit) file (mka or mkv etc). There a re only a handful of truly gapless albums around. Most remain unaffected.

It happens even with direct playback of the Blu-ray disc, when each song is authored in a different M2TS file on disc. This has been mentioned in other thread with a debate about "wrong" authored Blu-ray discs.

This has happened always with Blu-ray movies, when transitioning from one file to another, for example from intro banner short to the beginning of the movie. But we didn't care about losing initial sound seconds of the movie. BUT... with music it's quite annoying, especially if the song starts right away with something interesting. It goes unnoticed when the song starts with a slow fade-in.

Back