Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming [Classical edition]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone else subscribe to Berlin Phil’s digital concert hall? It seems they haven’t released any atmos content since spring. Anyone know anything about this?

Anyone else subscribe to Berlin Phil’s digital concert hall? It seems they haven’t released any atmos content since spring. Anyone know anything about this?
I keep thinking about it, but it’s about as expensive as Prime and there’s plenty of other material to occupy my time. Most orchestras’ season is during the fall throuh spring times, with summer either off or at outdoor venues, which aren’t ideal for recording.

I keep thinking about it, but it’s about as expensive as Prime and there’s plenty of other material to occupy my time. Most orchestras’ season is during the fall throuh spring times, with summer either off or at outdoor venues, which aren’t ideal for recording.
Comparing a live-stream all-access season subscription to, easily, one of the greatest orchestras, to an amazon prime subscription is like comparing to a prime steak! As for the off-season, they do indoor chamber concerts.

I wrote to Digital Comcert Hall about this before coming to the (obvious) answer with MKT’s help, and they just responded with this informative reply.

“In order to make Dolby Atmos available, an appropriate mix of the sound signal must be made after each recording. Since every musical work has a different line-up and the instrumental groups are not always seated in the same place on stage, we create each mix with individual parameters for each individual work. This needs a bit time.”

Hyperion goes from no streaming to all this month's releases streaming in atmos.
And the first in atmos from Audite that I've seen.
And this one from BIS is surprisingly enjoyable to the ear.

Last edited:
I’m currently reading a Beethoven biography that’s over 1,000 pages and it’s just about killing me with deep explanations of some of the music.

But it does lead me to look up some music and then happily discover it in Atmos.

In addition to the West Side Story OST that someone pointed out on the "main" Atmos streaming page:
(Also Yo-Yo Ma's Bach cello suites--the original recordings, I think?--although I'm not sure what advantage an Atmos "mix" would have over whatever the DSU might do.)

Back