HiRez Poll Pink Floyd - ANIMALS [Blu-Ray Audio/SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA/SACD of Pink Floyd - ANIMALS

• Total voters
For me, 'Pigs (Three Different Ones" is the killer track in surround that all by itself makes this worth a purchase.. Whereas 'Sheep' is further revealed to be kind of thin, musically (as in: not much substance there). I don't like 'new' vocoder' psalm either.
There's more subtle differences that reveal themselves , especially if you can quickly A/B against the original stereo mix (Audacity makes this easy).

For example, in "Pigs (3 Different)" , in the original mix there's a prominent string synth stab (a la 'Welcome to the Machine') at 5'43", but on the surround (5'45"), it's very muted by comparison. Meanwhile an octave lower, in the surround, there's a string synth drone on E throughout this section ,which doesn't seem audible at all in the stereo. Possibly this adds to the air of menace in the track, but I miss those high strings.

I wish I could vote 11. Really. Any issue of animals always sounded dull , rather weird to my ears, thin sounding, artificial... With big potential. Like listening to the ninth of Beethoven in the walkman 😁. Now this remix brings out everything. No other remix ever of any other album in music history made such a difference. And it's not the 5.1 (very good, aggressive to the sweet spot) is the REmix! Just in stereo the difference is day and night. C'mon now we want the wall 🧱 and meddle

10. totally 10. This is my demo album for showing off what Surround can do. My favorite surround mix overall. The mix is AMAZING. I have the Immersion versions of DSOTM and Wish You Were Here and this one blows them away, The packaging is first-rate as well (though it would have been nice to release it in a similar box to the Immersion versions. It's slightly bigger so it's a bit odd on the shelf with the others... but as a stand-alone, it's pretty amazing.

Bought it when it came out, played it twice, but I got disappointed by Sheep my fav track, felt that Sheep lacked balls, and anyway, with the impending Atmos release pulled it out and put it on Neural X to check my FOMO. What struck me was the depth of Dogs, the textures of Pigs (still felt Sheep was weak though the vocoder no longer tears my nightie), the bookends I can appreciate but leave me unmoved, HOWEVER as a totally new version it is extremely engaging.

Back