The Doors catalog available now in Dolby Atmos! ("Best of The Doors" Atmos Blu-Ray out 4/26!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amazon Music left out some critical tracks The End, Light My Fire, Road House blues, etc.
WEIRD!
Overall, pretty good mixes
still like my Perception 5.1 box set better

What are you listening through on Amazon Music in Atmos?

I'll have to check out Apocalypse Now again, for some reason my memory of that song in that movie felt like there was a lot more going on than what is happening on this mix (or the perception box). Maybe there was a lot of extraneous sound effects filling it out in the movie and my impression isn't accurate.

Regardless, it doesn't change the fact that there isn't much discrete activity.
When I saw Apocalypse Now at the Ziegfield Theater in 70mm with 6 track Dolby in Manhattan upon its release, I was quite literally blown away by Walter Murch's sound design. Every nuance was articulated both in music and dialogue and I do believe Bill with those sound effects so skillfully blended in especially the segue from the overhead ceiling fan to the whirling helicopter blades I swear I never heard the Door's THE END sound so spine tingly magnificent!

Walter Murch, BTW, is a genius in sound design!

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004555/bio/

Last edited:
I suggest that lack of the ‘73 Quad mix is a miss, here.
Those who agree that the Quad is best, or want to explore whether it is, are forced to pick up The Singles on the OOP market.

Cheap, for now, but very limited supply…
OK, now I feel crazy. I own The Singles, clearly says 1973 Quadrophonic Mix (11 tracks) but my rip is 5.1, did I rip wrong, I should go back and throw it in MKV and see what I did.
R-10808418-1505509568-8823 (1).jpg

I also own the The Best Of The Doors, Audio Fidelity, 4.0.
R-7201053-1452998512-1707.jpg

Not to mention that Manhattan's Ziegfield Theater at the time was afforded a meticulous fine grain 70mm print and had a state of the art sound system which made the experience absolutely jaw dropping!

And to begin the film with The Doors THE END was prophetic in itself considering the outcome of the Viet Nam 'conflict'.....as the futility of that ill advised conflagration ended the age of innocence for the US on the world stage!

BTW, I likewise like Morrison's spoken intro to Riders On The Storm. As Jonathan suggests, it does add a new layer of studio banter absent from previous versions especially when Jim suggests we need some thunder......and thunder front to rear and overhead is what we get...as the song begins!
The good Reverend Jim!

Years ago I saw “Ladies and Gentlemen: The Rolling Stones” at the Ziegfeld. What an experience!

OK, now I feel crazy. I own The Singles, clearly says 1973 Quadrophonic Mix (11 tracks) but my rip is 5.1, did I rip wrong, I should go back and throw it in MKV and see what I did.
View attachment 105149
I also own the The Best Of The Doors, Audio Fidelity, 4.0.
View attachment 105150
Maybe silent center and LFE, for compatibility?

Botnick and Paul Rothchild were the original quad mixers.
I love it.
Here’s my thing: if we could get these 19 songs, or even better all six albums, mixed like that ‘73 Quad, THAT would make for gems in anybody’s collection.
Utilize the heights for spaciousness and certain accents, sure. Meaning, pan stuff more like classic Quad and nix the notion of aping modern mixes. Not enough multitracks for that.
This Atmos is super inconsistent. And that is unnecessary. The Quad is great and consistent. They could have leaned way closer to that style, which works, instead of pushing into territory that mainly doesn’t.

Back