The Doors catalog available now in Dolby Atmos! ("Best of The Doors" Atmos Blu-Ray out 4/26!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They were the original producers. The original quad LP credits only Botnick as the engineer, IIRC
Back when the AF SACD came out in 2015, Steve Hoffman referred to the '73 compilation as the "Paul Rothchild 1973 Quad attempt." I don't think there were pictures of the four-channel master included in the AF release or the more-recent Rhino Blu-Ray - so I suppose it's not 100% confirmed - but I'd take that as some indication Rothchild was involved.
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thre...adventures-in-mastering.428601/#post-12179730

This Atmos is super inconsistent. And that is unnecessary. The Quad is great and consistent. They could have leaned way closer to that style, which works, instead of pushing into territory that mainly doesn’t.
The quad mixes do make more consistent use of the back speakers, I can't argue with that - but I'd stop short of saying the mixing style on the '73 compilation always works. Like in "Love Me Two Times," does having the drums sitting directly behind your head and everything else upfront really make for a pleasent listening experience? Just because you can isolate something in the back doesn't necessarily mean you should.

Going back to the Atmos mixes - even with the songs that were recorded on 8-track, there are rarely enough instruments in play to fill the side, rear, and height speakers simultaneously. Hence why some tracks have different things in all seven floor speakers and then just ambience in the heights ("L.A. Woman"), while others have discrete elements in the heights and then next-to-nothing happening in the side or rear channels ("When The Music's Over"). Based on what the available elements for each song are, I'm mostly happy with Botnick's choices.

I've been jumping around between all three surround mixes of those 11 tracks on the '73 comp and it really is a mixed bag as to which versions work best for me. I think "Riders On The Storm" and "People Are Strange" (love the ending where the double-tracked "when you're stra-ANGE" pop out of the rear heights) are definitive in Atmos, but others like "Love Her Madly" and "Moonlight Drive" are superior in quad. It's all good fun to listen to though.

The quad mixes do make more consistent use of the back speakers, I can't argue with that - but I'd stop short of saying the mixing style on the '73 compilation always works. Like in "Love Me Two Times," does having the drums sitting directly behind your head and everything else upfront really make for a pleasent listening experience? Just because you can isolate something in the back doesn't necessarily mean you should.
It works for me, well enough. Beefy rear speakers essential. However, it would be easy to just flip that model around, keep the drums up front and place the guitars and keys in the surrounds.
That's why I wrote about leaning into the Quad style, not necessarily copying it.
I'm thinking of Bob Clearmountain's mix of that UK live blu-ray. Basically mixed in a triangle formation. Totally works, for me.

Back when the AF SACD came out in 2015, Steve Hoffman referred to the '73 compilation as the "Paul Rothchild 1973 Quad attempt." I don't think there were pictures of the four-channel master included in the AF release or the more-recent Rhino Blu-Ray - so I suppose it's not 100% confirmed - but I'd take that as some indication Rothchild was involved.
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thre...adventures-in-mastering.428601/#post-12179730
Anything’s possible. But the credits specifically list both Botnick and Rothchild as producers but only Botnick as the engineer. And since Rothchild had left the picture on less than good terms with the band, and Botnick was the band’s producer at that point, it makes more sense that he’d have helmed the whole remix project rather than sharing remix duties. Especially since he engineered all the Rothchild albums in the first place. So I’ll stick with that until perhaps Botnick himself says otherwise.

Last edited:
The more tracks used for the recording the better the mix is. Overall its me buying the a set of Doors songs for the umpteenth time. Good to have and I don't regret buying it but I think this is the lastime.
I agree. I doubt I will ever buy another Doors release again. Unless the reviews are so unanimously positive about the surround mix (especially for the first album) that I can't ignore it. It would be nice to have at least one really discrete mix of The End.

I agree. I doubt I will ever buy another Doors release again. Unless the reviews are so unanimously positive about the surround mix (especially for the first album) that I can't ignore it. It would be nice to have at least one really discrete mix of The End.
well, that will be the next release for sure. They will extract the various instruments from the first album into more tracks and make it more immersive and use that to sell us all yet another Doors collection. :D

That’s the best part of Riders! In surround, at least.
I played the original CD-4 for friends on my Quad system back when, I remember none were impressed with Jim's "Riders On The Storm" whispers from the rear speakers. Actually I don't think I had any friends that appreciated Quad all that much. One did buy me an SQ LP of the Mahavishnu Orchestra though. Still have it, no longer have the Doors.

I played the original CD-4 for friends on my Quad system back when, I remember none were impressed with Jim's "Riders On The Storm" whispers from the rear speakers. Actually I don't think I had any friends that appreciated Quad all that much. One did buy me an SQ LP of the Mahavishnu Orchestra though. Still have it, no longer have the Doors.
I still have friends for whom music was very important when they were young. I still have those same friends and still keep in close contact but none of them really give a crap about music anymore. Yeah, they still listen to the radio when they are in the car, but none of them will actually put an album on just to listen to it (maybe very rarely I suppose). Very disappointing.

I still have friends for whom music was very important when they were young. I still have those same friends and still keep in close contact but none of them really give a crap about music anymore. Yeah, they still listen to the radio when they are in the car, but none of them will actually put an album on just to listen to it (maybe very rarely I suppose). Very disappointing.
I have one old friend left, he's 80 now I think. He was not impressed with my quad back when, but we were both big time music lovers. I had a bigass portable 8 track that ran on about a case of "D" cell batteries and took it everywhere before the quad days and the Army.
My surviving friend lives on the other end of Florida, we talk but have not seen him in decades.

No friends still alive where I live now. Army of One.

I have one old friend left, he's 80 now I think. He was not impressed with my quad back when, but we were both big time music lovers. I had a bigass portable 8 track that ran on about a case of "D" cell batteries and took it everywhere before the quad days and the Army.
My surviving friend lives on the other end of Florida, we talk but have not seen him in decades.

No friends still alive where I live now. Army of One.
You’ve got all of us here at QQ.
And fellow vets, like me.
Not the same as old friends, I know.

I still haven’t had a chance to play my copy, but I note the mixed reviews from the qlub. The Doors were a fantastic quartet, and made a lot of amazing music, but I can see that there are limitations as to what can be done with minimal source material.

I expect great music and clear undistorted sound. I guess I shouldn’t expect immersion.

I have the "Singles" set and it's wonderful. The BD of the '73 release sounds exactly like the CD-4 disc without the surface noise (not that the surface noise is any way distracting, really).

EDIT: When I say the BD is exactly like the CD-4 disc, I mean music element location-wise. The sonics are better. I listened to it again today and I have never heard these songs sound so good. I had tears because it's emotional when music you have heard hundreds of times can still amaze and reach you like this.

Doug

Last edited:
Finally got a shipping notice for my copy last Tuesday (ordered at the beginning of March) so hopefully will be receiving it in a few days. I already have a lot of Doors in surround (both quad and 5.1) but always welcome more. Very intrigued to give this a listen after the mixed reviews, but whatever my reaction I expect it to be a pleasant task!

Back