2024 SURROUND RELEASES

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting discussion here.

In my case, my problem has never been not being able to listen to the stuff I buy (I'm not a collector and I only buy albums I really like, and only one edition most of the times). The problem is that I'm slowly but steadily running out of space... despite having a decently sized house, being young and therefore not having been buying music for too many years yet, and as said not being what you'd call a collector. Of course I have other hobbies that take a lot of space too (books especially, and I own 10 telescopes - I love astronomy and science in general!).

I honestly don't know how true collectors manage to organize themselves :oops:

In my case, my problem has never been not being able to listen to the stuff I buy (I'm not a collector and I only buy albums I really like, and only one edition most of the times). The problem is that I'm slowly but steadily running out of space... despite having a decently sized house, being young and therefore not having been buying music for too many years yet, and as said not being what you'd call a collector. Of course I have other hobbies that take a lot of space too (books especially, and I own 10 telescopes - I love astronomy and science in general!).

Yes, I get what you mean, but as a expeienced collector, The orginazational part is the real part of collecting.
Documenting what it is and what you have.
To be a collector (someone who cares about what they are collecting) it is almost a requirement to be OCD.
Now things are fairly easy with PC, spreadsheets, auto storage etc.
When I started my Concert Poster collection in the early1980's, with, pen, paper and typewriter, now that was a bitch. Fortunatelly I sold it in 2002 and made out well.

Markie, NEVER has the adage TOO MUCH OF A GOOD THING ISN'T A GOOD THING ANYMORE been more appropriate! I'm with you on that.

And as we speak, four more 'items' arrived from from THE SHARK today [can't resist those 15% off coupons] further inundating my house not to mention ALL those pre~orders from CDJapan coming at the end of November.

When IS enough ENOUGH?

A question I've been asking myself FOR YEARS! 🤷‍♂️
some of us will stop collecting once we stop breathing.

some of us will stop collecting once we stop breathing.
Well, if any of us end up like those people who die alone in our homes but aren’t found for a while, we’ll be collecting dust. Does that count?

So, to keep this on topic... I never started a separate thread (and I think it’s always been assumed) but one of the music mags did a feature on Rush a month or so ago and strongly hinted that Grace Under Pressure from Rush was coming this year which excites me to no end. Trouble is we’re running out of year.

With lead times for mags, I can imagine that if it was planned, a release date could have slipped.

EDIT: Found it. I guess strongly hinted that it was this year isn’t quite correct. I probably assumed this year since this is the 40th anniversary.

Attachments

• Rush_Grace.jpeg
    Rush_Grace.jpeg
    887.7 KB
Last edited:
Yes, I get what you mean, but as a expeienced collector, The orginazational part is the real part of collecting.
Documenting what it is and what you have.
To be a collector (someone who cares about what they are collecting) it is almost a requirement to be OCD.
Now things are fairly easy with PC, spreadsheets, auto storage etc.
When I started my Concert Poster collection in the early1980's, with, pen, paper and typewriter, now that was a bitch. Fortunatelly I sold it in 2002 and made out well.

I see. It's a labour of love!

When we moved to our present home, where we expect to live out our days, one of my requirements was a room I could build into a theater, and I’ve pretty much done that. Check my signature for the build thread. I left it with a promise to post some pics of another project, and I have yet to do that, and I have a few updates, but I digress.

I’m still fairly early in my process of listing my collection on discogs. They don’t let me list the movies in my collection, and I haven’t really started on over 1000 vinyl releases or my 78 collection.

I have divided the “music” collection into classical, pop and jazz, holiday, and spoken word/miscellaneous, with separate shelving for each. Construction took about a year, and I don’t have to go to work, so I recognize that this is not something most folks can arrange to have happen. I spent about fifty years not having such a good setup. My avatar shows my record collection as it was housed in our previous house.

I imagine I’m fairly average in these here parts as far as the quantity of media in my collection. I see tons of stuff posted by others here that I’ve never heard of, so I suspect my pile is wimpy compared to them.

Nice thread there @barfle!

I guess it also depends on each's own definition of what a collector is. In my eyes, I'm not a collector myself, but I know my friends see me as a collector (meaning: someone who buys lots of music in physical format). Personally I think the definition of a collector is a bit more complex than that.

For instance, out of the nearly 200 surround releases @haikubass has compiled so far in the first post of this thread, I've bought 13, and I'm planning on eventually purchasing 22-25 in total, so this is quite limited compared to others I suppose. But of course I keep buying many older releases, non surround titles and so on. Possibly around 120-150 albums per year.

Like you, I have a recently built, dedicated home theater style room, but I also have a piano and 7 guitars there, so most of the music must be stored in a different room(s). First world problems I guess!

Nice thread there @barfle!

I guess it also depends on each's own definition of what a collector is. In my eyes, I'm not a collector myself, but I know my friends see me as a collector (meaning: someone who buys lots of music in physical format). Personally I think the definition of a collector is a bit more complex than that.

For instance, out of the nearly 200 surround releases @haikubass has compiled so far in the first post of this thread, I've bought 13, and I'm planning on eventually purchasing 22-25 in total, so this is quite limited compared to others I suppose. But of course I keep buying many older releases, non surround titles and so on. Possibly around 120-150 albums per year.

Like you, I have a recently built, dedicated home theater style room, but I also have a piano and 7 guitars there, so most of the music must be stored in a different room(s). First world problems I guess!
I'm no musician, although I gave a try at the piano, cornet, and harmonica (no problem storing most harmonicas) and failed miserably at all three. I probably buy around one piece of media a week, on average. I go nuts once in a while, then force myself to abstain for some time after that so I'm not drowning in stuff I still haven't heard.

That said, I recently got a working (mostly) Laserdisc player, and that collection of around 125 discs needs to be revisited, and if and when I'm able to play records again, well, all hell will break loose. Oh, and there's a ten-hour sports car race on peacock that I'm about a third of the way through. Yeah, first world problems!

Back