4 more Quadio titles coming in May 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Harman Kardon 8+. There's also an identical model made by Sony.
I've done extensive searching around the Web and can only find people asserting that there are identical Sony- and JVC-branded playback decks, but not a single mention of which actual products share the innards of the Harman/Kardon 8+. 😒

For anyone not getting the reference here, sperezmore is located in Gastonia, North Carolina. Ex-LA Lakers (NBA) and University of North Carolina basketball great James Worthy is from Gastonia also - this all coming from a lifelong fan of UNC's primary rival Duke, interestingly enough.:sneaky: Okay, my apology for the sidebar and back to surround sound matters!
I was a huge Lakers fan during Big Game James’ heyday, but didn’t get the reference, so thanks for that.

For anyone not getting the reference here, sperezmore is located in Gastonia, North Carolina. Ex-LA Lakers (NBA) and University of North Carolina basketball great James Worthy is from Gastonia also - this all coming from a lifelong fan of UNC's primary rival Duke, interestingly enough.:sneaky: Okay, my apology for the sidebar and back to surround sound matters!
I pledged Kappa Alpha Psi with James' brother Danny. Yep, I saw you were from Gastonia so I had to rib you. To this day, the game with Carolina and Georgetown that was fundamentally won by James and Jordan is the most exciting basketball game I've seen.

Last edited:
I got all four 2 days ago and I have listened to all four. I would rate them in this order:
1.) Robert Flack
2.) Seals & Croft
3.) Donny Hathaway
4.) Hot Tuna - Note: This one I am really disappointed in as there appears to be many things wrong with the mix. It was painful for me to listen to. I hope this may be one of those that after many customer complaints Rhino will send a new disc with the right mix!

I got all four 2 days ago and I have listened to all four. I would rate them in this order:
1.) Robert Flack
2.) Seals & Croft
3.) Donny Hathaway
4.) Hot Tuna - Note: This one I am really disappointed in as there appears to be many things wrong with the mix. It was painful for me to listen to. I hope this may be one of those that after many customer complaints Rhino will send a new disc with the right mix!
Could you be more specific about the problems with the Hot Tuna mix?

1.) Robert Flack
2.) Seals & Croft
3.) Donny Hathaway
It is the right mix from the quad master tape which is pictured in the booklet. There is nothing for Rhino to send out to you. But you have the stereo mix to enjoy if the quad is not to your liking right!

I guess there are 3 options to get a different Hot Tuna surround sound mix:

Hope for/ask for a Dolby Atmos (re)mix - perhaps for the Apple streaming service.

Use the demix/remix software discussed in another section of QQ to create one.

Use a QS matrix decoder (for example) to create fake surround sound from the stereo tracks.

Kirk Bayne

Purchased and listened to these latest 4 QUAD releases. My observations and opinions -

Each of these 4 albums are not ones I have been familiar with in both the stereo and QUAD releases, so I cannot compare these new releases to anything I have listened to before.

ALL FOUR releases - sounded great to me in their QUAD 2024 releases. The separation sounded equal and of superior quality. In fact, I enjoyed all 4 of them and their musical styles provided me new exposure to tracks I had not heard before in any format. So, I see Rhino's choices made in selecting the 4 releases every quarter...they are definitely trying to provide a broader range of sound and style.

As for technical observations, I noticed Rhino remastered CD4 Quad masters to produce these releases, EXCEPT FOR ONE - the Hot Tuna release. Based on my findings - the only QUAD release for Burgers was on a Q8 (8track) release....instead of CD4 which was used for previous releases...am I correct or was this release using an unreleased CD4 mix?

Overall, I'm enjoying Rhino's QUAD releases every quarter and hope they continue!

It is the right mix from the quad master tape which is pictured in the booklet. There is nothing for Rhino to send out to you. But you have the stereo mix to enjoy if the quad is not to your liking right!
While I have never HEARD any QUAD Hot Tuna mix until listening to this new BD release, I'm experiencing a discrete surround mix as I listen to it. Therefore, what quad source are you comparing this new release to? Tell us specific track and channel details -

While I have never HEARD any QUAD Hot Tuna mix until listening to this new BD release, I'm experiencing a discrete surround mix as I listen to it. Therefore, what quad source are you comparing this new release to? Tell us specific track and channel details -
I'm comparing this quad mix to no other source, as there is no other source. I thought that was clear by now.
This is all that there is to "Burgers" in quad.

As for technical observations, I noticed Rhino remastered CD4 Quad masters to produce these releases, EXCEPT FOR ONE - the Hot Tuna release. Based on my findings - the only QUAD release for Burgers was on a Q8 (8track) release....instead of CD4 which was used for previous releases...am I correct or was this release using an unreleased CD4 mix?
CD4 and Q8 are both discrete formats, there wouldn't be any difference in quad mixes done for those two formats. There might be mastering differences to cope with CD4 issues but that's all.

And while technically SQ and QS were supposed to get quad mixes that avoided the limitations of their matrixes, very often that was ignored and they just got a 4 corners quad mix the same as Q4, Q8 and CD4.

All of Rhino’s Quadio releases are from the original discrete four channel master tape, and while the albums got a CD-4 release back in the day (except Burgers, as you say) it has nothing to do with these Blu-ray quad mixes.

This discrete 4 track master would’ve been used to create the CD-4 or Q8 releases back in the day.

OKAY great - so the new RHINO release I'm listening to is the best remaster of whatever QUAD mix they had (used for Q8 or CD4)....I'm good with what I have listened to tonight - separation and quality sounds great. So when referring to a REQUEST FOR A CORRECTED RELEASE - I do have the the SPINNERS release to compare....as I DID have a QUAD transfer unofficial release to listen and compare to the new release. Yes, I noticed the issue with the rear channels....and a Rhino correction release was sent out. But as for this Hot Tuna release, it sounds fine so far...but I admit I have no comparison. Perhaps those complaining about this release have a source they can provide?

Ok I’m about over this batch and it’s time to start asking what’s next????
(Joke)

No really I’m very much enjoying this batch, and glad everyone has found things they like as well. I’m going to play “Hissing if the Summer Lawns” tonight for the first time in decoded quad.

Manifesting abundance and positivity!

Latest posts

Back