4 More Quadio titles coming in October!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Spinners and Lightfoot are amazing choices. Either of those should be solid sellers. The release of Holiday by America completes the pair of Quads and the trio if you consider the Homecoming 5.1 . Mingus .... I dunno. I'm not familiar with the album and the only reason I have the Q8 is to be a completeist. I'm in for 3 out of the 4, but might do all four just to support the program in hopes that they sell well enough for some heavy hitters (like the Eagles) finally get their poop in a group.

Hope springs eternal, right?

It could happen. If you asked me 10 years ago if we'd be getting consistent Quad releases today.... I'd have never believed it.

I'll be getting all four (hopefully they'll do another bundle price offer), but apart from "Sundown" & "Carefree Highway" on the Gordon Lightfoot CD of "Complete Greatest Hits" I have, I don't know the album.
Yes, bundle is to be offered, and the same prices here as last time. They are not soaking us for a gas and inflation hike, not yet anyway.

Hey, @JonUrban: sorry if someone has already asked this and I missed the answer, but would it be possible to update the WEA Checklist page with a new column indicating titles with a hi-res reissue (including cancelled/unreleased mixes that eventually saw the light of day, like Billy Cobham's Spectrum and Tull's Minstrel in the Gallery)?
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/WB.htm

Hey, @JonUrban: sorry if someone has already asked this and I missed the answer, but would it be possible to update the WEA Checklist page with a new column indicating titles with a hi-res reissue (including cancelled/unreleased mixes that eventually saw the light of day, like Billy Cobham's Spectrum and Tull's Minstrel in the Gallery)?
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/WB.htm

Well, you see, all of those QQ web pages I did and updated were there because I owned the web site and paid for the web server and space. Today I am a mere mortal, and no longer have access to the server or the pages.

It's really not my place anymore, although I still get PM's and questions just like the old days.........

Well, you see, all of those QQ web pages I did and updated were there because I owned the web site and paid for the web server and space. Today I am a mere mortal, and no longer have access to the server or the pages.

It's really not my place anymore, although I still get PM's and questions just like the old days.........
Ah, I bet @QuadSound would give you (or another mod/admin) access to those pages if you asked her. But maybe you're enjoying your "retirement"... ;)

Last edited:
So, first off. Thanks Jeff @quicksrt for attending the event, you did an awesome job of framing the event, and letting us know what's coming. I was hanging on your every word... (from out of town, that is)

Secondly, thanks Rhino @ForagingRhino for continuing this exceptional push to get historical quad into the masses. I simply cannot thank you enough. You are now our hero and you should be commended on the efforts you put forth. Can I buy you a $100 steak and a killer bottle of Cabernet? I would, in a heartbeat.

Now, about the titles being offered this time.

Are you shitting me? All 4 of these are simply killer offerings in the very best format available for a ridiculously fair price...especially compared to other titles in different packages. I cannot fathom not ordering every damn title that Rhino offers. I mean, shit!!! I am over the moon now, and can't wait to order all 4 of these.

Everyone...come on man! Quit procrastinating and buy all 4. You will not be disappointed. I was equally impressed with @JonUrban comments about Mingus. His comments about the superb quality of quad should easily be enough for everyone to buy that one as well. I just can't wait to own all 4.

So, first off. Thanks Jeff @quicksrt for attending the event, you did an awesome job of framing the event, and letting us know what's coming. I was hanging on your every word... (from out of town, that is)

Secondly, thanks Rhino @ForagingRhino for continuing this exceptional push to get historical quad into the masses. I simply cannot thank you enough. You are now our hero and you should be commended on the efforts you put forth. Can I buy you a $100 steak and a killer bottle of Cabernet? I would, in a heartbeat.

Are you shitting me? All 4 of these are simply killer offerings in the very best format available for a ridiculously fair price...especially compared to other titles in different packages. I cannot fathom not ordering every damn title that Rhino offers. I mean, shit!!! I am over the moon now, and can't wait to order all 4 of these.

Everyone...come on man! Quit procrastinating and buy all 4. You will not be disappointed. I was equally impressed with @JonUrban comments about Mingus. His comments about the superb quality of quad should easily be enough for everyone to buy that one as well. I just can't wait to own all 4.
Awe thanks, but that's so cool!

I've pretty much said everything that might need saying about the event itself. I will of course have more comments on the quad sound and music quality later.
But what I am going to do soon is post some short video clips of this fun event. I think everyone should get to enjoy a bit of it and see what it was like. But to tell the truth it was relaxed and slightly informal, like sitting in someone's living room while we talked about and played records on a really good system. The program started casually late, and ran much later than 9:00PM as well. At least I hung around well past 9:00PM. I didn't want to leave.

Awe thanks, but that's so cool!

I've pretty much said everything that might need saying about the event itself. I will of course have more comments on the quad sound and music quality later.
But what I am going to do soon is post some short video clips of this fun event. I think everyone should get to enjoy a bit of it and see what it was like. But to tell the truth it was relaxed and slightly informal, like sitting in someone's living room while we talked about and played records on a really good system. The program started casually late, and ran much later than 9:00PM as well. At least I hung around well past 9:00PM. I didn't want to leave.
Did everyone attending get all four discs? Or were they offered for purchase there? Or did you just hit Steve up when the party was dispersing and he took pity and handed you a set?

I will buy the bundle, no doubt. Despite my pledge (kind of sort of somewhat fulfilled) last year to limit my spending to things I really, really want, and start listening more to all the gems already in my collection, I bought the last bundle, even though I wasn't a huge fan of any of those albums, except maybe Paranoid (how can you pass that up?), and I've been enjoying them, to various extents, so no regrets there. As for this bundle:

America? Was never a fan, in fact my kids are sick of hearing me quote the Horse With No Name line about plants and birds and rocks and things when trying to make a point about how much better the real stuff (Neil Young, in that case) is. But I do have a weak spot for Lonely People, which spoke to my teenage angst when I heard it on the radio in high school. Tin Man's not terrible either.

Mingus? I'm not familiar with this particular album, but I'm excited to get the chance, in a choice quad mix. Love hearing classic jazz in surround.

Gordon? I love Sundown (the track), Carefree Highway is pleasant enough, and I look forward to becoming familiar with the rest of the album, again via a great quad mix, per its reputation.

Spinners? Grew up hearing them on the radio in the 70s, maybe even to the point of tiring of them. Love the track Backstabbers (I know, that's not on this album), but I'd much prefer an Al Green or Staple Singers album instead. But I bet I'll end up enjoying this one as much as the others in the bundle.

In conclusion: getting this bundle will stretch my vow of purchase restraint to the max, but I'll do it anyway. As I said after ordering the first bundle, if @ForagingRhino can keep these discs coming, I won't be able to resist buying them! By way of request: barring a Joni album (which I'm guessing isn't possible, or it would have already happened), how 'bout some Randy Newman in the next batch?

Did everyone attending get all four discs? Or were they offered for purchase there? Or did you just hit Steve up when the party was dispersing and he took pity and handed you a set?
They had a handful of discs/bundles that were available for purchase at the end of the night… so cool to have the opportunity to get them in advance of the official release. Listened to them all in their entirety today. While I was familiar with and a fan of all of these titles… wow, the original quad mixes on a modern stage, so good… in fact… delicious. What a privilege that Steve is such a passionate fan… like the rest of us. Over the course of the many topics discussed, Joni Mitchell came up a few times… they are absolutely said to be coming!

Not sure if this will work, but I plan on taking advantage of this $100 shipping deal if possible.
Screenshot_20230922-103150.png

Essentially, when the discs are released, I plan on ordering the bundle (which should be just below $80) as well as preorder the Van Morrison Moondance Blu Ray that was announced today (around $25), all in one order.

Someone also suggested to use the code CC22SLA15WMG to take $3.75 off the order. I can't speak for if this all will work, but that'll be my plan coming into all this.

Although I'm not particularly excited about America or Gordon Lightfoot, I'm curious about the Mingus quad & I am most interested in The Spinners quadio, ...R&B/Soul with it's generous use of vocal harmonies, wide range of instruments, etc... is often more suited for surround sound than rock or folk music, at least in my opinion it is.
Opinions aside, ...I appreciate more quads getting the quadio treatment & hope to see more & more released in the future.

Several folks here are saying they're not enthused about the America title or just know the two hits from that album. "Holiday" is, in my opinion, one of their best. Great songs, harmonies, arrangements (with George Martin's help). If you like their style you will probably love discovering this album, as I did for the first time. So happy this one made it into the arena, it's the one of these four I'm most eager to hear on a legit release.

Just posted this in the other “preview” thread. We are looking at confirmed four Quadio titles.

They are:

1. America -Holiday
2. Spinners
3. Gordon Lightfoot - Sundown
4. Charles Mingus - Mingus Moves

More on event very shortly!

Lots to report!
Nice looking forward to the mingus disc

Back