5.1 Source playing as 7.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this has been discussed before multiple times. For instance, my Marantz Cinema 40 always outputs 5.1 mixes in DTS or DTS-HD Master Audio as 7.1. However, it outputs them strictly as 5.1 when it's LPCM or a multichannel SACD source.

Yep... Welcome to the confusing world of DTS.

For some bizarre reason 5.1 lossy and lossless DTS sources are outputted as 7.1 (the sides audio is also passed to the rears). Given this only happens with 5.1 DTS sources, it must be by (DTS's) design and not a fluke!

I'd like to add that, at least on my system, it doesn't seem to be a bad thing at all. My sides and rears are placed at 100 and 140 degrees respectively, so when I listen to 5.1 mixes in DTS format the rear sounds seem to come from around 120 degrees, which I actually prefer to the 100 degrees option (which feels too close to my ears sometimes). I have compared the LPCM and DTS options for the same mixes many times, and I tend to prefer the latter precisely because of that. I guess this will depend on how your system is set up. It works for mine.

Back