A "new" system and a quad system -- advice on setup and components

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all,

I have been more on the vintage side of quad in terms of hardware -- I have a Sansui QRX-5001, QRX-6001 and a QRX-7500. The 6001 has been my main receiver (light refurb and problematic caps have been replaced.
I also use "vintage" Epicure M202 in the setup, these are 4 ohm with an 8" woofer and inverted dome tweeter on "two sides" of the speaker. I have a stacked pair in front and two for the rear -- my media is mostly blu-ray quadio and stereo albums -- no other media and no need for decoding from albums. I have an Oppo-105 set to downmix to 4.0 and hooked up through the rca outs to the 6001. Lastly my TV/Movie content is from an Amazon 4K stick plugged into the Oppo -- I am currently pleased with surround effects in movies from this setup and I won't every move to a 7.1 or atmost system.

What I have been considering is just going 5.1 for movies and if anything happened to the quad receivers or the Oppo I would switch to full HDMI from my sources and use a phono pre-amp for the turntable (a Dual 1229). Note I have speaker switches to connect different configurations and if I wanted to I could setup a dedicated stereo system (I have some older Toshiba seperates that I may use for that).

At the low end Yamaha has this receiver Refurb Yamaha RX-4VA 5.2 - at this price nothing "says 4 ohm" capable but I understand that at this price point.

I have spotted a used Anthem MRX 310 and 510 on the local marketplace which would be a used alternative.

What else should I consider in terms of modern or used AVRs, seperates or pre/pro --- I more often find used all analog gears like Marantz MA-500 monoblocks in my areas, Marantz DP-870 and an AV-6000 but all in for 4 mono blocks that is more than something brand new.

Thanks for your input - Bob

Back