Al Stewart "Past, Present, & Future" (New 5.1 surround mix from Stephen W Tayler!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And now, what you have all been waiting for...the announcement that my copy has arrived. :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, the package is must larger than I had expected. I thought we'd get something much more compact considering that there are no LPs in this set.
If I recall, this is the same size as both previous Stewart box sets.

If I recall, this is the same size as both previous Stewart box sets.
Just checked. Indeed it is the same as the previous two sets. But three of the discs in my set had become dislodged and were sliding around inside the sleeve. I don't see any obvious physical damage to the Bluray. I hope it plays OK.

Just checked. Indeed it is the same as the previous two sets. But three of the discs in my set had become dislodged and were sliding around inside the sleeve. I don't see any obvious physical damage to the Bluray. I hope it plays OK.
All 4 of mine came loose. All you'd have to do is tip the box upside down and they just fall out of the slots they are in.

I think I can beat you all, though I didn't take a picture, you know what sort of packaging the box came in (USPS I mean). Mine arrived and it was 100% unsealed. Not taped!!! I cannot believe the set arrived at all without either being lost or someone with sticky fingers simply stealing it.

I think I can beat you all, though I didn't take a picture, you know what sort of packaging the box came in (USPS I mean). Mine arrived and it was 100% unsealed. Not taped!!! I cannot believe the set arrived at all without either being lost or someone with sticky fingers simply stealing it.
People stealing CDs is such a non-issue these days. :confused:

I've played parts of this 2x now. I'm stunned at how great the mix is and how it opens the soundstage. The LP and CD versions have always had So-So sonics. Sonics are improved here and separating out the instruments of the sometimes dense production is noticable. Especially the keyboards.

I haven't listened to any of the CDs yet, but it's nice to have the bonus track.in 5.1. I could have done without the book and trinkets. Just more crap I'll never use collecting dust.

The only negative so far is the weird packaging.

How do you rate it in comparison to Parsons' YOTC and Time Passages 5.1 mixes?
Great question. I'm expecting it to be better.
I would say the mix is even more discrete where it can be. Some of this album is sparse, instrumentally, but every track offers something. The busier tracks are awesome. From the book, it looks like they used 16 Track to record this. Tayler had plenty to work with.

The sonics are analog like warm. YOTC was too bright. I thought TP was fine.

It's a tough call. This is easily as good as the Parsons stuff. It might be more adventurous than the Parsons releases. I am more partial to the material on PP&F though.

Back