Alphaville "Forever Young" BD-A w/ Atmos (Warner) 7/5/2024

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So has anyone heard this yet?

I've heard some dreadful things about the mix on social media.

That would be a shame because I love the album.

I have
I wouldn't say the mix is dreadful.
But a better mix should have been used with all the elements in use on this release.
I would say it's an slightly less than average mix.
Having said that I enjoyed it

I have
I wouldn't say the mix is dreadful.
But a better mix should have been used with all the elements in use on this release.
I would say it's an slightly less than average mix.
Having said that I enjoyed it
And, to be clear, the fidelity is superb. For me, the heights...especially rear heights are mostly some delayed vocals and instrumentation. It does add to the overall impression of depth. Especially compared to the stereo version. Not much in terms of discreet information I'd say, but overall I think it sounds pretty darn good.

If you're hoping for an Atmos tour de force, this is not it.

And we won on pens.... unbelievable 😁
1720608397556.png

🤫

Just gave my copy a listen. Not in Atmos though, but in 5.1. Seems to fold down nicely. Personally I like the mix, immersive in a sense that all speakers are working. It's not a subtle surround mix and it does have some nice discreet elements panned to the surround speakers. No regrets getting this.
I'm very familiar with this album. Listen to this loud :)

Always loved this album (with the exception of the title track, which I can't stand--am I alone in this?). Just got the Blu-ray in the mail. Really digging the mix. I don't have an Atmos setup but it sounds nice and full on my 5.1 system.

Wow, well to each their own, I actually believe this doesn't sound too bad. Sure you could probably boost the Rears and Rear Surrounds a little or drop the fronts a little (I'm listening to the 7.1 Atmos floor downmixed to 5.1) but overall there is plenty going on in the rears. Don't know about heights of course. But I do like this kind of Synth-Pop stuff.

FOREVER YOUNG ALPHAVILLE BD.jpg

Wow, well to each their own, I actually believe this doesn't sound too bad. Sure you could probably boost the Rears and Rear Surrounds a little or drop the fronts a little (I'm listening to the 7.1 Atmos floor downmixed to 5.1) but overall there is plenty going on in the rears. Don't know about heights of course. But I do like this kind of Synth-Pop stuff.

View attachment 107799
before even listening, one glance at those waveforms and you can see the mix will feel Front-heavy and that's with Side, Rear & Height content included in the other Channels in 5.1.. in 5.1.2/7.1.4 Atmos maybe it'd feel even less balanced!? 🤯🤷🏻‍♀️

My copy is expected in a couple of days, but I thought the Atmos mix on Apple music was very good. Not that directional or instrument placement specific but quite immersive with good fidelity. However, after this title I think I'm pretty done collecting 80's synth-pop.

before even listening, one glance at those waveforms and you can see the mix will feel Front-heavy and that's with Side, Rear & Height content included in the other Channels in 5.1.. in 5.1.2/7.1.4 Atmos maybe it'd feel even less balanced!? 🤯🤷🏻‍♀️
Yes, I also like it for it's overall immersiveness. The front business has very punchy percussion and bass, along with some vocals and synths (ergo the higher amplitude.) A lot of the rear action (5.1) can be subtle synth type stuff however at times, with ambient drums and vocals. Some more prominent synth and percussion action pops up occasionally. But sure, it could have been mixed much more adventurously IMO. 🧐

Back