Article Describing the Top Prog Bands

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. My 'big 4' of prog rock would be King Crimson, Yes, Genesis AND Pink Floyd - for sure not Rush, even though I like them more than Genesis and also more than most Floyd (except for Wish You Were Here). I mean, Rush are great but they arrived late to the scene and were outliers in several ways. I don't think they can be put in the same league.

Usually I had heard about the 'big six' of prog (King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, ELP and Jethro Tull). I've seen that mentioned in multiple occasions. But then there's the perennial question of whether Floyd (and even Tull) are genuinely prog or not.

Interesting that the Top 50 Prog Albums list that follows the article has Pink Floyd (#4 Dark Side of the Moon) and Jethro Tull (#5 Thick As A Brick) charting higher than the highest charting Rush album (#6 Moving Pictures).

Arbitrarily limiting results to X number of bands = many being left out. Good click bait strategy though.

There's already more comprehensive lists out there. It's tough to reinvent the wheel.

For me, although it may not be a correct criterion, I have always defined the “Top” Prog bands by the most relevant album from the “center” of the glorious period of the first half of the '70s, that is, albums released in 1973:

King Crimson – Lark’s Tongues in Aspic

Genesis - Selling England by the Pound

Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon

ELP - Brain Salad Surgery

YES - Tales from Topographic Oceans

Jethro Tull – A Passion Play (err…) Should have been Thick as a Brick?

Not sure how this top 50 Prog list was assembled. I sense there is a personal bias from the author, rather than a collective view from listeners. Certainly not my top 50 list, but easy to see how Close to the Edge is ranked as #1.

Back