The QuadraphonicQuad Craft Beer/Microbrew thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Florida at least, new , additional, liquor licenses are up for grab after the Census: it's based on population.
My former Brother in Law and his poker buddies put there hat in the liquor license lottery back in the '80's and got one for $200. Being a commodity, you are allowed to keep it, even unused, or sell it for whatever price you can get from it.
To give you a feeling, in downtown Lakeland, FL in the early '80's the going rate was about 120K$. I had the backing of a local prominent business man for a big portion of the kitty, but my 3 friends and I personally could not scrounge up enough cash to make the difference.

WOOO-E! I don't think you can sell 11% beer here. In fact when I moved here 40+ years ago, all the County would allow
Here's a pic of their taplist.
1000010581.jpg

You might have to zoom in. 😉

Not much of a beer drinker these days, but I like a Heinekin or 4 at the local bar maybe twice a year after a hot day of mowing.
No craft beer hereabouts that I'm aware of. But I'm not a bar person in my old age, and bars here are few and far between. Heck, the county only went wet a few years ago, now we have actual liquor stores without going to the next county. Mixed drinks harder to find.
Down in the boondocks, down in the boondocks...well y'all know the rest.
They do sell some kickass, local made gummies at the liquor store I do business with. That stuff will bust your ass faster than a broken grove ladder.

Not much of a beer drinker these days, but I like a Heinekin or 4 at the local bar maybe twice a year after a hot day of mowing.
No craft beer hereabouts that I'm aware of. But I'm not a bar person in my old age, and bars here are few and far between. Heck, the county only went wet a few years ago, now we have actual liquor stores without going to the next county. Mixed drinks harder to find.
Down in the boondocks, down in the boondocks...well y'all know the rest.
They do sell some kickass, local made gummies at the liquor store I do business with. That stuff will bust your ass faster than a broken grove ladder.
I had some experience with dry counties here in Texas when I was young. I could maybe understand the rural ones, but the ones near Dallas were a joke. "Private clubs" and such. As soon as we crossed a creek or whatever, there was a phalanx of liquor stores.

I remember the day when all domestic beer was no higher than 3.2% abv. That seemed to change around the time of the micro brewery’s, sometime around late 1970’s, early 1980’s.
It may have changed, but last I remember the limit in Florida is about 5.5%. What a joke. It's like going to the EU and drinking Heinekin, Heinnigan, Yager Pils, or anything from small breweries in Germany then returning to the US and drinking water. Or Budweiser.
Yuck. I'd rather (and did) drink Old Milwaukee later. ( going back in time now) Couldn't ever stomach much PBR though. We had a machine in this one barracks that had a great selection: PBR, Colt 45, Grape Soda, and no cola.
The dopers thought drinking Grape Soda would wash all the drugs out of their urine. (yeah we got drug tested, depending on your MOS I guess even back then)

WOOO-E! I don't think you can sell 11% beer here. In fact when I moved here 40+ years ago, all the County would allow was 3.2 near beer.
You wouldn't find one that strong in any of the UK pubs I've been in ( and :sneaky: I've been in 'a few' over the years!), not sure I've seen anything above 9% at a beer festival either.

You wouldn't find one that strong in any of the UK pubs I've been in ( and :sneaky: I've been in 'a few' over the years!), not sure I've seen anything above 9% at a beer festival either.
In my local Kansas City area there are a few dozen craft/microbreweries within easy driving distance. One of them that started out very small & is now a booming success (owned by InBev, of course) is Boulevard Brewery. So named cuz they are located on Southwest Boulevard. Any way...

Their unfiltered wheat is not my favorite but my go to for gulping down after yard work or sharing with friends. Much more flavor than a Bud/Coors/Miller but far away from a Guinness.

My favorite beer of theirs is Bourbon Barrel Quad. All beers with quad in the name is good. But this has a good chocolate first taste, a nice viscosity, & not overdone with carbonation.

https://www.boulevard.com/beerinfo/bourbon-barrel-quad/

And if you click on the link you'll see it's rated at 12.2 ABV. And the quad beer is rather expensive in a 4 pack but worth for special occasions. I usually pair it with a KC Chiefs game & enjoy one bottle per quarter. Win or lose I'm feeling pretty good by games end!

Out of curiosity I wondered what ABVs were found in the UK, I came across this UK Government report from 2018 (BTW: a typical UK wine is around 12%) https://assets.publishing.service.g...and_wine_purchased_for_the_in_home_market.pdf

View attachment 109320
Wow. That's really light weight. You'd have to work hard to get a buzz on. I guess there's always a bottle of Glenfiddich close by for emergencies. I wonder who that one person was that bought the 9.0?

The larger liquor stores in the US usually have an extensive selection of imports to explore. Is that how it is in the UK? Have you ever looked for 'merican beers mentioned here?

Last edited:
In my local Kansas City area there are a few dozen craft/microbreweries within easy driving distance. One of them that started out very small & is now a booming success (owned by InBev, of course) is Boulevard Brewery. So named cuz they are located on Southwest Boulevard. Any way...

Their unfiltered wheat is not my favorite but my go to for gulping down after yard work or sharing with friends. Much more flavor than a Bud/Coors/Miller but far away from a Guinness.

My favorite beer of theirs is Bourbon Barrel Quad. All beers with quad in the name is good. But this has a good chocolate first taste, a nice viscosity, & not overdone with carbonation.

https://www.boulevard.com/beerinfo/bourbon-barrel-quad/

And if you click on the link you'll see it's rated at 12.2 ABV. And the quad beer is rather expensive in a 4 pack but worth for special occasions. I usually pair it with a KC Chiefs game & enjoy one bottle per quarter. Win or lose I'm feeling pretty good by games end!
Boulevard was one of my gateway breweries, so to speak, into the world of craft beers. I was on a business trip in South Dakota, and I saw a bottle labeled "Lunar Ale" in a small refrigerator behind the hotel bar. I loved it and even bought it a few times back home, but I think they stopped making it. I still enjoy their other beers occasionally.

Speaking Of
Fabled Brew Works in Kentucky
Left to Right
Last Call of Cthulhu (Italian Pils, spot on slightly bitter lager with Italian ingredients instead of Czech)
Demon Door an OUTSTANDING English Barleywine
Lock a Carmel / Sour Apple Berliner Weisse. it tasted like it sounded but the wheat came though more than I would like.
Shock a Sour Patch Kid inspired Berliner Weisse that was like a sour grape bomb so it was outstanding.
20240914_125454.jpg

I had the Smordekaiser as well, it was waaaaaay too sweet and chocolaty for my taste, like chocolate milk with a high ABV.
A 32oz crowler of Demon Door made it home to share next weekend when we brew an ESB on my new gear

I can't say what the alcohol content was for sure, but IIRC the Heinekin and small brewery German beer was pretty potent. But that was decades ago.

Back