Beaver and Krause Gandharva Japanese QS LP Report

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So let me get this straight. All three Beaver & Krause WB albums have dedicated quad mixes: In a Wild Sanctuary is a Dyna-encoded LP, but this is not acknowledged on the jacket or label; Gandharva was issued in SQ in Japan; and All Good Men has a stealth EV encode -- or maybe it doesn't.

So let me get this straight. All three Beaver & Krause WB albums have dedicated quad mixes: In a Wild Sanctuary is a Dyna-encoded LP, but this is not acknowledged on the jacket or label; Gandharva was issued in SQ in Japan; and All Good Men has a stealth EV encode -- or maybe it doesn't.
Maybe; Gandharva in (most likely) QS. Wild Sanctuary in Dyna (maybe). All Good Men, maybe EV or Dyna.

OD seems certain that "In A Wild Sanctuary" was encoded (choosing DynaQuad by the process of elimination) obviously he ran it through his script based decode process and it must have turned out OK or he would not have "released" it. Does a discrete version exist; I'm guessing not, but I hope that I'm wrong.

See posts above. Gandharva was only issued in QS in Japan. All other issues are plain non
Maybe; Gandharva in (most likely) QS. Wild Sanctuary in Dyna (maybe). All Good Men, maybe EV or Dyna.

OD seems certain that "In A Wild Sanctuary" was encoded (choosing DynaQuad by the process of elimination) obviously he ran it through his script based decode process and it must have turned out OK or he would not have "released" it. Does a discrete version exist; I'm guessing not, but I hope that I'm wrong.
A discrete version will exist because all Quad matrix versions will be made from a discrete quad master.

A discrete version will exist because all Quad matrix versions will be made from a discrete quad master.
Unless the encoding was simply done through the stereo mixing console, all that's needed is a bit of out of phase blend added to "encode" the rear "channels". That mixing technique could have been used with no special encoder required. Which might also explain why they were not labeled as quad. No separate stereo version of these early "stealth" quads is known to exist.

Pure speculation on my part of coarse.

Last edited:
Unless the encoding was simply done through the stereo mixing console, all that's needed is a bit of out of phase blend added to "encode" the rear "channels". That mixing technique could have been used with no special encoder required. Which might also explain why they were not labeled as quad. No separate stereo version of these early "stealth" quads is known to exist.

Pure speculation on my part of coarse.
That is not how it would be done. I know for a fact that discrete masters exist of Gandharva and All Good Men as it has been verified to me from someone at Warners. I work in the industry.

Why would a major record label spend money on encoding something in quad and then not tell anyone ? Time to end this discussion I think...

Back