Billy Joel - Piano Man 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition (Mch SACD of Quad mix from Sony Japan)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has "Piano Man" really gone OOP on 7" SACD?

When you think about it, in terms of QUAD collectors and the desirability of titles, the 'Piano Man' quad SACD would have to be the most desirable of all of the Sony 7" quad releases, followed closely by the first Santana, Abraxas, and the third Santana, not necessarily in the order

Many of these titles had seen release in 5.1 or modified quad prior to this series, and if you look at Q8 pricing over the past 25 years on eBay, I do not believe any of these titles sold for more than the Billy Joel Piano Man Q8's that I've seen on eBay go for well over $100, sometimes twice that.

If I had to predict which of these 20+ titles would sell out, it would be Piano Man

When you think about it, in terms of QUAD collectors and the desirability of titles, the 'Piano Man' quad SACD would have to be the most desirable of all of the Sony 7" quad releases, followed closely by the first Santana, Abraxas, and the third Santana, not necessarily in the order

Many of these titles had seen release in 5.1 or modified quad prior to this series, and if you look at Q8 pricing over the past 25 years on eBay, I do not believe any of these titles sold for more than the Billy Joel Piano Man Q8's that I've seen on eBay go for well over $100, sometimes twice that.

If I had to predict which of these 20+ titles would sell out, it would be Piano Man
They are desirable on a few levels, but I didn't know about Piano Man Q8 causing sticker shock heart attacks. But for me what makes the Sony Columbia / Epic stuff so desirable is the lack of QR releases on all of the titles. With RCA and WEA at least we got those reels.

And I was not that thrilled (at first) with Piano Man for 60+ balloons, but then I read the reviews, and now I figure that I must not be left out here.

I listened to this album last night in stereo, and found the title track wonderful of curse. And "Captain Jack" is a stunner. But in between the earlier track and the last one there quite a bit of stylistic variation that did not knock me out so far as the songs. I'm going to hold out on this one until a sale or maybe used copy appears. I sense Billy is trying out a lot of things and has not quite yet completely hit his stride on this album.

Yeah, I'll hold out a bit on this one. Lots of the new things to listen to.

My copy from CDJapan arrived today and man, holding it in your hands is sooooo much more impressive than what I was expecting from the product listing pics - this thing is really well done and I'm delighted to add it to my collection. Looking forward to taking the quad mix for a spin this week-end and then voting in the poll.

I just noticed this posting:
EDIT: NOTE: Replacement discs limited to only those in Japan - no international shipments

https://www-sonymusic-co-jp.transla...2119?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US

[Apology and Notice] Regarding scratches on the disc of Billy Joel's "Piano Man 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition <SACD Multi-Hybrid Disc (7-inch Paper Jacket Specification)>" released on February 28, 2024​

We have discovered that there is a risk of scratches on the disc of the Billy Joel "Piano Man 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition <SACD Multi-Hybrid Disc (7-inch Paper Jacket Specification)>" Limited Edition (SICP-10151-10154), which will be released on February 28, 2024, due to a work-related problem during the product set-up process. We deeply apologize for any inconvenience caused to those who have purchased the copy.

Please refer to the information below regarding the defect and how to deal with it.

Details of the defect>

Due to operational problems when setting up the product during the manufacturing process, there is a risk of scratches on the signal surface of the disc (the back side of the printed surface of the disc).

If you would like to exchange your disc, please read the following instructions as they will be handled accordingly.

<How to exchange>

Please send us the three discs of the limited edition Billy Joel "Piano Man 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition <SACD Multi-Hybrid Disc (7-inch Paper Jacket Version)>" (SICP-10151-10154) with the disc mount and paper inner bag set in each. We will fold the discs over and place a non-woven cloth to protect the signal side of the discs before sending you the discs in good condition.

1720112874312.png

1720112883475.jpeg

<Shipping Method>

Please use the Japan Post's "Yu-Pack" service, or cash on delivery via Yamato Transport or Sagawa Express (shipping costs will be borne by us) and send only the disc and parts shown in the image above.

Please write your postal code, address (if you live in an apartment building, please be sure to write your apartment/condominium name and room number), name and phone number on the shipping slip and enclose a note with the same information.

<Shipping address>

〒421-0216

Sony Music Solutions Inc.

2001 Aikawa, Yaizu City, Shizuoka Prefecture

Billy Joel Good Disc Exchanger

TEL 0120-839-012

<Shipping time for good products>

Once we receive the defective disc, we will send you a new good disc in a paper bag with a new disc mount.

Shipments are scheduled to begin on Monday, April 8th, but please note that it may take 2-3 weeks for the items to arrive.

<Exchange period>

We will accept orders up to Thursday, October 31, 2024.

<Email address for inquiries>

[email protected]

You can contact us from 10:00 on Wednesday, April 3rd.

Please note that it may take some time for us to reply.

<Notes>

*Please send only the disks and parts shown in the image above. Please keep all other parts with you.

*We are unable to exchange the product at the retail store. Please send it to the exchange office listed above.

* Please send it in an envelope. A regular envelope or a store bag will do.

*Please keep the copy of the shipping receipt in a safe place until you receive the good disc from us.

*The good product replaced is limited to applicants from Japan Only. We will not ship internationally.

<How to distinguish a good product>

For future shipments, we will clearly distinguish between the discs and ship them with non-woven fabric to protect the signal surface of the discs, as follows:
1720112929871.jpeg

1720112941026.jpeg

The background color of the barcode on the 4th side of the label has been changed to yellow.

This concludes the exchange procedure. We would like to apologize once again for any inconvenience caused to our customers.

We intend to take steps to prevent recurrence so that we do not cause any inconvenience in the future, and we ask for your continued support of Billy Joel.

Last edited:
I just noticed this posting:

https://www-sonymusic-co-jp.transla...2119?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US

[Apology and Notice] Regarding scratches on the disc of Billy Joel's "Piano Man 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition <SACD Multi-Hybrid Disc (7-inch Paper Jacket Specification)>" released on February 28, 2024​

We have discovered that there is a risk of scratches on the disc of the Billy Joel "Piano Man 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition <SACD Multi-Hybrid Disc (7-inch Paper Jacket Specification)>" Limited Edition (SICP-10151-10154), which will be released on February 28, 2024, due to a work-related problem during the product set-up process. We deeply apologize for any inconvenience caused to those who have purchased the copy.

Please refer to the information below regarding the defect and how to deal with it.

Details of the defect>

Due to operational problems when setting up the product during the manufacturing process, there is a risk of scratches on the signal surface of the disc (the back side of the printed surface of the disc).

If you would like to exchange your disc, please read the following instructions as they will be handled accordingly.

<How to exchange>

Please send us the three discs of the limited edition Billy Joel "Piano Man 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition <SACD Multi-Hybrid Disc (7-inch Paper Jacket Version)>" (SICP-10151-10154) with the disc mount and paper inner bag set in each. We will fold the discs over and place a non-woven cloth to protect the signal side of the discs before sending you the discs in good condition.

View attachment 107256
View attachment 107257
<Shipping Method>

Please use the Japan Post's "Yu-Pack" service, or cash on delivery via Yamato Transport or Sagawa Express (shipping costs will be borne by us) and send only the disc and parts shown in the image above.

Please write your postal code, address (if you live in an apartment building, please be sure to write your apartment/condominium name and room number), name and phone number on the shipping slip and enclose a note with the same information.

<Shipping address>

〒421-0216

Sony Music Solutions Inc.

2001 Aikawa, Yaizu City, Shizuoka Prefecture

Billy Joel Good Disc Exchanger

TEL 0120-839-012

<Shipping time for good products>

Once we receive the defective disc, we will send you a new good disc in a paper bag with a new disc mount.

Shipments are scheduled to begin on Monday, April 8th, but please note that it may take 2-3 weeks for the items to arrive.

<Exchange period>

We will accept orders up to Thursday, October 31, 2024.

<Email address for inquiries>

[email protected]

You can contact us from 10:00 on Wednesday, April 3rd.

Please note that it may take some time for us to reply.

<Notes>

*Please send only the disks and parts shown in the image above. Please keep all other parts with you.

*We are unable to exchange the product at the retail store. Please send it to the exchange office listed above.

* Please send it in an envelope. A regular envelope or a store bag will do.

*Please keep the copy of the shipping receipt in a safe place until you receive the good disc from us.

*The good product replaced is limited to applicants from Japan Only. We will not ship internationally.

<How to distinguish a good product>

For future shipments, we will clearly distinguish between the discs and ship them with non-woven fabric to protect the signal surface of the discs, as follows:
View attachment 107258
View attachment 107259
The background color of the barcode on the 4th side of the label has been changed to yellow.

This concludes the exchange procedure. We would like to apologize once again for any inconvenience caused to our customers.

We intend to take steps to prevent recurrence so that we do not cause any inconvenience in the future, and we ask for your continued support of Billy Joel.
Really annoying that they won't do this for international customers. I wonder if CDJapan could be cajoled into sourcing/shipping replacements?

Just got mine today. Plays fine, no discs have any scratches. I believe they may have ordered up another run as, at the time I ordered, the website declared in bold, red letters: ONLY 3 REMAINING. However, today, that note is gone.

Many thanks to sfactor23 for his post! In fact, I examined all three discs from this set and the SACD indeed have scratches.:( However, I played it once without any problem...

IMG_20240705_103241.jpg
IMG_20240705_103311.jpg
IMG_20240705_103202.jpg
IMG_20240705_103211.jpg

And yet I decided to try my luck and write to CDJapan customer support with a description of the problem. I also showed them this link to the article from the post above.
And you know what? They quickly answered me that they would send me a replacement (whole package) for free and there is no need to return this damage item back for exchange!
This is what I call customer support!(y)

Just got mine today. Plays fine, no discs have any scratches. I believe they may have ordered up another run as, at the time I ordered, the website declared in bold, red letters: ONLY 3 REMAINING. However, today, that note is gone.
Have you got a new edition with the yellow barcode like on this picture?

102724-1720112941026.jpeg

Have you got a new edition with the yellow barcode like on this picture?

102724-1720112941026.jpeg
When you say, new edition....are you saying they clearly acknowledge initial "run" all had some surface scratchings (mine look more like scrapes I'd say) and they pressed new copies and changed the barcode label to a yellow color?

EDIT - nevermind, I see there are more posts upstream here discussing.

For those saying your copy has no scratches. I initially thought mine didn't either. Then I held it under a brighter light and had to hold it on a certain angle, then the "scrapings" were visible with little problem to see.

If you stare at the disc straight on, you cannot see them. This is my experience just now.

Hour ago, I signed up to CdJapan and it showed 1 left.....So I put Billy in my cart.
Along with The Allman Brothers & Hotel California.
I see their shipping dept is on the ball with packaging. Now the wait begins with the shipping dept & FedEx

Many thanks to sfactor23 for his post! In fact, I examined all three discs from this set and the SACD indeed have scratches.:( However, I played it once without any problem...

View attachment 107284 View attachment 107286 View attachment 107287 View attachment 107288

And yet I decided to try my luck and write to CDJapan customer support with a description of the problem. I also showed them this link to the article from the post above.
And you know what? They quickly answered me that they would send me a replacement (whole package) for free and there is no need to return this damage item back for exchange!

View attachment 107284 View attachment 107286 View attachment 107287 View attachment 107288

After your post I checked and my SACD has the exact same scratch pattern. No problems playing and it was actually pretty easy to get rid of some of it with a quick buffing.

Back