Camel – Air Born: The MCA & Decca Years 1973-1984 (box set with 5 albums in 5.1 on blu-ray)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The live gig cds are really great and highly recommended, especially Marquee 1974, Royal Albert Hall 1975, Hammersmith 1976 and Hammersmith 1977. What a great live band they were (and still are!).

I paid £156, less a £5 credit I had with Rarewaves. I would have paid £30 for each of the 5 studio albums in surround, so there's your £150 already. And we also got 2 more blurays of live video, plus numerous live cds, as well as 11 remastered studio albums and a nice book and box. What a great set!
I don’t enjoy listening to live albums (call me a freak), I do however love to watch a band live and have over 100 concerts on blu ray/dvd
I saw Camel twice in the 90’s, amazing live and played for 3 hours each time with a short tea break inbetween

I don’t enjoy listening to live albums (call me a freak), I do however love to watch a band live and have over 100 concerts on blu ray/dvd
I saw Camel twice in the 90’s, amazing live and played for 3 hours each time with a short tea break inbetween
I won't call you a freak, I'll call you a mad scot! I've seen Camel many times over the years, including the Hammersmith gig that Pressure Points was recorded at, so its nice that that is included in this set.

I won't call you a freak, I'll call you a mad scot! I've seen Camel many times over the years, including the Hammersmith gig that Pressure Points was recorded at, so its nice that that is included in this set.
I was a latecomer to Camel, strange how it came about, in 1986 I bought my first cd player (as well as 5 cd’s), a little while later one of my workmates asked me if I liked Camel, I said i’d never heard them and thought no more of it, the next day he gave me Stationary traveller as he didn’t like it, said he never wanted anything for it so I took it home and fell in love.
Thank you Davie, you are the reason I love this band

My copy arrived today, via Fed Ex from Burning Shed.
Notice said signature required, I usually tape a piece of paper with tracking # and signature to my front door.
My wife happened to be home and driver said additional requirement was to add her birthdate, the recipient.
Weird, never seen that before, but it was our regular driver?
Not sure if it was a Burning Shed or a Fed Ex thing?
Maybe cause of box size? But I have had bigger.

Thank you!!
Yes actually a lot of multitracks were missing, but there would never have been the budget or time frame to remix all of them anyway. It would have been nice to keep the sequence intact - but Rain Dances was missing.... SWTx
Interesting you mention "budget" in this context. What is the demographics of the market? I imagine that the Pareto part are people like us, mostly on the experienced side of a mid-life crisis. I keep telling to myself that we are currently enjoying a confluence of technology and a market of people exposed to the music back then getting out of the rat race and parenting duties thus having more time for ourselves. How long will this "window of opportunity" last?

Not talking about audio of this set, that will take awhile. I start the ripping process today, that will take awhile.

The Box Set, absolutely stunning, the most beautiful box set I have ever seen, the colors, the artwork, the paper, content/pictures, the feel and construction, absolutely beautiful.
#1 box set ever.

Received mine this week from JPC, a great mailorder service. The box is magical content wise. The live blu rays are heavenly even in stereo. Andy Ward was a magnificent drummer in his day! And for instance, on the track Pressure points on the live blu ray of the same name Andy Latimer shows his awesome skills on guitar. No wonder Roger Waters wanted him in his band at one point. I have spotted serveral typo errors here and there on the discs etc but content wise this is a HUGE 10. I am loading al the cds into my itunes so I can listen in the car. The 5.1 blu rays sound magnificent. The new mixes have differences to the originals and now its a whole new listening experience at the highest level thanks to SWT!

Ripping Notes CD's 1-12:
I used Windows Media Player set to FLAC rip.
Tagging of song titles, track #, time=all perfect.
Titles mostly rip as "Air Born - The MCA & Decca Years 1973 - 1984"
Special Notes:
There are 3, CD's 3, 5, 8 that rip titles as different.
Discs 6 & 8 rip with artwork, no others do.
Disc 8 tags as Disc 2, you need to change that.
The back of book, CD's 1-12, lists a fairly descriptive title for each disc, however if you want the perfect description look at the disc itself.

My suggestion, after each rip, at least add, as an example (CD 1), (CD 2), etc, if you do not do that at the time of rip it will be confusing later for you and your player based on the imperfect ripped titles.
Then go back when all done, what I am doing, you can do it at time of each rip if you choose of course, rename all CD's based on the actual title written on CD itself. All missing artwork will likely come from Discogs, after all eventually make it into my NAS and ultimately JRiver player.

I am sure this process will stay the same for remaining CD's 13- 27.
Any special notes, I will post.
My Blu Ray rips will come last.
As an organizing freak I love this challenge with my beloved hobby.

I don’t trust names & artwork pulled from the internet when ripping CDs, I always check and rename, when necessary, tracks, album and artist after each CD, and search for appropriate high resolution artwork.

I don’t trust names & artwork pulled from the internet when ripping CDs, I always check and rename, when necessary, tracks, album and artist after each CD, and search for appropriate high resolution artwork.
This tagging only comes from the info in the disc itself.

My post above is just info on initial rip.

Your plan of attack is identical to mine when doing final tagging and artwork.

There’s no info in the disc, only if it’s CD-text, and not all CDs are CD-text. Besides, does ripping apps do the tagging by using CD-text info? I don’t think iTunes ever did? Besides, I would not trust CD-text either! Even booklets have mistakes…

Ripping Notes CD's 1-12:
I used Windows Media Player set to FLAC rip.
Tagging of song titles, track #, time=all perfect.
Titles mostly rip as "Air Born - The MCA & Decca Years 1973 - 1984"
Special Notes:
There are 3, CD's 3, 5, 8 that rip titles as different.
Discs 6 & 8 rip with artwork, no others do.
Disc 8 tags as Disc 2, you need to change that.
The back of book, CD's 1-12, lists a fairly descriptive title for each disc, however if you want the perfect description look at the disc itself.

My suggestion, after each rip, at least add, as an example (CD 1), (CD 2), etc, if you do not do that at the time of rip it will be confusing later for you and your player based on the imperfect ripped titles.
Then go back when all done, what I am doing, you can do it at time of each rip if you choose of course, rename all CD's based on the actual title written on CD itself. All missing artwork will likely come from Discogs, after all eventually make it into my NAS and ultimately JRiver player.

I am sure this process will stay the same for remaining CD's 13- 27.
Any special notes, I will post.
My Blu Ray rips will come last.
As an organizing freak I love this challenge with my beloved hobby.
There are boxes like this (and the King Crimson boxes) where I think about how much extra I’d pay for a bonus disc that had everything already in FLAC for an easy drag & drop to my computer and backup drive.

Like you, I get joy in organizing my music. But these big boxes can be a real test.

There’s no info in the disc, only if it’s CD-text, and not all CDs are CD-text. Besides, does ripping apps do the tagging by using CD-text info? I don’t think iTunes ever did? Besides, I would not trust CD-text either! Even booklets have mistakes…
I am sure you’re correct.
Not that important to me.
I love tagging on my own.

Back