Camel – Air Born: The MCA & Decca Years 1973-1984 (box set with 5 albums in 5.1 on blu-ray)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weird there's nothing official yet when the release date is only 6 weeks away! Prog magazine even had Camel in their news yesterday - it was a piece about Andy Latimer well recovering from his recent back surgery, but with no mention of this box set.

I'm really looking forward to this box set. Camel have always been one of my favourite bands. I've seen them live many times over the years, including the concert when the Pressure Points dvd was recorded.
Understandably, more concerned with Andys health, I reckon.
I agree, always liked Camel 🐫
Never seen them live though...:(
Yes I read that article in Prog news, too.

I wonder how the European sellers get to sell this fantastic release, with no fan fare?...I mean this is right out of the blue without even a heads up...🤷‍♂️

Nope, Universal
Absolutely stunning news for me. First saw them in March 1975 - Mirage tour in a tiny hall at a university in Manchester - and have followed them ever since. Like Duncan I was due to see them in June - had the tickets for nearly two years. Andy Latimer's health is much more important and pleased to hear encouraging news about his post-op recovery. It was wonderful that he was able to come back with the band after his serious illness some years ago. Such a great live band!

I think this box should have been called "Holy Grail" as I suspect that none if us really ever though Camel would get such special treatment especially from Universal with a physical product.

So, just for clarity, is this the same Universal that manages the Elton John catalogue??!! :unsure:

It looks like none of the 'Camel Production' titles are included in this Box Set, "Dust & Dreams" through "A Nod and a Wink", which all came after 1984 (duh).
This may explain why the 'Camel Productions' web site has not announced this Box Set, or offering it for sale.

edit 4/17/2023:
I've been trying to preorder this set from JPC, but their web site is choking on the last name field in the 'shipping' details :(
This Box Set is stuck in 'Shopping Cart' limbo.

edit 4/18/2023:
Now this Box Set is "Currently Not Available" to preorder at JPC, and vanished from my Shopping Cart.

Last edited:
It looks like none of the 'Camel Production' titles are included in this Box Set, "Dust & Dreams" through "A Nod and a Wink", which all came after 1984 (duh).
This may explain why the 'Camel Productions' web site is not announcing this Box Set or offering it for sale.
Its quite possible Andy Latimer hasn't even been told about it!

A friend was working for Camel, his wife said to me have you heard of Camel, I said of course I've loads of their albums. The end result was Andy Latimer offered to sign all my LPs & CDs, and tried to get me a free ticket for one of the shows but couldn't as they'd all sold out! He said that he'd never seen the re-mastered versions of the CDs, and he had said to the record company he didn't want additional tracks on the same disc, they ignored him! I met Andy Latimer/Camel way back in the mid-70s when I was messing around with bands, really nice chap.

I ordered from JPC - I just couldn't pass up the price with shipping to US: $121.04. That's unbelievable for 5 blu-rays and 27 cds including three remixed concerts, multiple surround mixes, and all titles remastered. Compare that to ~$100 for the Moodys To Our Children's Children's Children - one title with a single surround mix and one concert. Normally I wouldn't order such an expensive box from overseas with so little warning and few details, but after a rough time getting the VDGG box I didn't want to risk missing this. Camel has always been one of my favorite prog bands.

Here's how the breakdown of the five blu-rays supposedly goes:

Disc 28:
Camel
(1973)
Mirage (1974)
+ Autumn (bonus track)

Disc 29:
The Snow Goose
(1975)
Moonmadness (1976)
+ Riverman (bonus track)

Disc 30:
Nude
(1981)

Disc 31:
Never Let Go (promo video)
Arubaluba (promo video)
Selections from "The Snow Goose" (Guildford Civic Hall 1973)
BBC TV The Old Grey Whistle Test 21st June 1975:
The White Rider
Lunar Sea
Preparation
Dunkirk
Another Night
Lady Fantasy

Live At Hammersmith Odeon 14th April 1976:
First light
Metrognome
Unevensong
Rhayader / Rhayader Goes To Town
Skylines
Highways Of The Sun
Lunar Sea
Rain Dances
Never Let Go
One Of These Days I'll Get An Early Night

BBC TV "Sight & Sound In Concert" 29th September 1977:
City Life
Lies

Disc 32:
1984 concert film “Pressure Points”:
In The Arms Of Waltzing Fraulines
Pressure Points
Refugee
Vopos
Stationary Traveller
West Berlin
Fingertips
Sasquatch
Wait
Cloak And Dagger Man
Long Goodbyes
Rhayader
Rhayader Goes To Town
Lady Fantasy
In The Arms Of Waltzing Fraulines

Shame I can't just buy disc 28 and 29!

🙃

I will of course buy the set.

Understandably, more concerned with Andys health, I reckon.
I agree, always liked Camel 🐫
Never seen them live though...:(
Yes I read that article in Prog news, too.

I wonder how the European sellers get to sell this fantastic release, with no fan fare?...I mean this is right out of the blue without even a heads up...🤷‍♂️
Same happened with the Blackfield box. I strongly think the 2 main German mail order services (JPC and Just for Kicks) are in fierce competition with each other and jump the gun on official release annoucement dates to gain that extra advantage of receiving more pre-orders...

There's better prices out there but I pre-ordered from LaserCD. They are very fast and reliable, so I do not mind paying extra because. as mentioned before, some of the stuff I order from across the pond spend weeks in customs. If I didn't dig Camel this much, I would have ordered from a European seller with a cheaper price and patiently wait. Talk about the "merry old month of May" a lot of cool stuff coming out in May. I think I preordered at least 7 items that are due in May.

Back