Camel – Air Born: The MCA & Decca Years 1973-1984 (box set with 5 albums in 5.1 on blu-ray)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Huge box set (27 CDs plus 5 blu-rays) by Universal was announced on several German online shops, with release date being May 26:

https://justforkicks.de/detail/index/sArticle/15040For tracklisting see this link:
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/de...a-decca-years-1973-1984/hnum/11454621?lang=en
To quote Robin in Batman "Holy Priceless Collection Of Etruscan Snoods!" ( No.7 in the list! ). :SB:SG

I'm gobsmacked, totally unexpected. The first 4 are my favourites as it is, and since Andy Latimer has had to have emergency surgery on his back thus the tour has had to be cancelled it's a welcome diversion from not seeing them play in June. I also don't care how much it costs I'm buying it, its still better value than the new DSOTM.
I hope the opening drinks can sound effects at the end of Supertwister (on Mirage) goes round all the speakers 🤣 :51QQ

Camel-Mirage-Signed.jpg

I'm done with buying big expensive boxes, but I'll make an exception for this one. ;) I grew up listening to these Camel albums and this box seems to be good value. It's a pity they're not in Atmos, but I assume they'll lend theme self well to Auro 3D up mixing. :cool:

€110 (from jpc.de--that's with shipping & after VAT deduction for non-EU buyers) is indeed a very good price--for those who really want the full monty. But for those who don't: I wonder if, as with the VDGG releases, there will be an option to buy the surround discs individually?

€110 (with shipping, after VAT deduction for non-EU buyers) is indeed a very good price--for those who really want the full monty. But for those who don't: I wonder if, as with the VDGG releases, there will be an option to buy the surround discs individually?
Hope so, don't care for all the CD's.

OOF ! Camel - Moonmadness.

I boldly stated in Jan, 2020 "Forget Reality" thread I would pre-order this immediately should a Surround Version be offered. Why did it have to buried in a giant box set ? :cautious: I already have 14 Camel studio albums, and a few Live albums, on CD & SACD, I really don't need extra stereo copies.

I so wish I had held off buying the Camel stereo SACDs last year. I had no idea this was coming, even today there is no word of this release on the official Camel Productions website.

But, five Camel albums on Blu-Ray Surround Sound (all five I really like) for ~$28 USD each .....

edit 4/17/2023:
I've been trying to order this set from JPC, but the web site has been choking on my last name in the 'shipping' details :(
This Box Set is stuck in 'Shopping Cart' limbo.

edit 4/18/2023:
Now this Box Set is "Currently Not Available" to preorder at JPC, and vanished from my Shopping Cart.

Last edited:
Regarding the albums that get a 5.1 mix, interesting what they are. Obviously, we get Camel's killer first few...

Camel 1973
Mirage 1974
Snow Goose 1975
Moonmadness 1976

Then we skip Rain Dances 1977, Breathless 1978, I Can See Your House From Here 1979

Yet, we get Nude from 1981 in surround.

Regardless of the strategy/reasons....getting those first 4 is what I care about. I haven't heard any of the later stuff from Camel. :)
Key albums in surround but I do wish Rain Dances had been in there… if only to hear Highways of the Sun in surround.

wouldn't it be odd if jpc ended up being the best on price? I have an account with them, but never bought. Are they from Japan?
Germany (that's the ".de"). Placed lots of orders with them; they're often best on price--and always much better on shipping than pretty much anyone else in Europe or the UK.

This is probably a no-brainer compared to the overpriced and oversized PF 50yrs DSOTM box.
And my Penteo upmixes can retire. Not the first time this happened! But this is OK.

Oh, oh, this May will be very expensive!

BTW: who did these surround mixes? I've overseen this.

This is probably a no-brainer compared to the overpriced and oversized PF 50yrs DSOTM box.
And my Penteo upmixes can retire. Not the first time this happened! But this is OK.

Oh, oh, this May will be very expensive!

BTW: who did these surround mixes? I've overseen this.
No one has confirmed on who did the mixes, speculations are Stephen Tayler. We can only hope!

Thinking the price is seriously good value, if those albums were on individual Blu rays say at £20 each that's £100 (of course!) that may or very nearly covers the entire box set price. Unless you were only interested/liked one or two of their albums....

Back