Commercial Matrix Quadraphonic Cassettes?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Missed it. Will there be another?
Yes. We do Unknown Movie Night events every 4 months(ish) follow akp recordings or me on instagram for info on the next one. It should be late jan/early feb and for @jaybird100 our tapes are QUARK encoded (which is QS and compatible with the stellar involve decoder and pretty good dlp2 decoding too). Don’t know about the U2 ones but that would be incredible if they were matrix encoded.

I'll point out the early production run of Fosgate Tate 101A came with an SQ test & demo cassette. I know because it's mentioned in the owners manual. It was not included with my purchase, presumably discontinued because of poor performance from the cassette in SQ.

They also had a 2 cassette version . One cassette which was all SQ tracks, the 2nd was Stereo recommended listening.
Now if I had known about the twofer , I would definitely have requested the duece tapes.
Not certain who reviewed the unit though, maybe Bert Whyte ?

They also had a 2 cassette version . One cassette which was all SQ tracks, the 2nd was Stereo recommended listening.
Now if I had known about the twofer , I would definitely have requested the duece tapes.
Not certain who reviewed the unit though, maybe Bert Whyte ?
Well it took a while, digging through my physical printed media. The search function is pretty bad & requires a bright flash light but I found it it.

Stereo Review,October '83 page 32. Review by Julian Hirsch. Probably can be found on the Radio Archives website.

Briefly :" Our evaluation was greatly simplified by two demonstration test cassettes supplied by Fosgate containing 60 program excerpts to reveal the 101A's potential. . "

Read more elsewhere. Hirsch likes it.

Last edited:
Well it took a while, digging through my physical printed media. The search function is pretty bad & requires a bright flash light but I found it it.

Stereo Review,October '83 page 32. Review by Julian Hirsch. Probably can be found on the Radio Archives website.

Briefly :" Our evaluation was greatly simplified by two demonstration test cassettes supplied by Fosgate containing 60 program excerpts to reveal the 101A's potential. . "

Read more elsewhere. Hirsch likes it.

Oh great find Sonic.

I doubt that I could remember the year let alone the actual reviewer.
Now I wonder what both tapes contained , by that I mean the actual tracks.
I know the SQ side of my tape contained a variety of tracks , but the stereo side had partial tracks , perhaps due to licensing.
I saved a photo of what was on my Maxwell, and it did a pretty decent job of decoding .
The Stereo side was interesting.

One note of interest, The Moody Blues track is from a mixdown from the Quad.

And after finding out some more information regarding their Threshold studio set up...specific to quad recording that much like Tull's Maison Rouge set up,
the studio was set up especially for quad by Derek Varnals.
I can't say it's SQ encoded but the track sounds very good. I really should pick up this best of album as they (Threshold) tested SQ matrix with 7th Sojourn , and sometime in 75 aquired a QS Encoder. Did they use it ?? Who knows.

Anyway my pic of the Fosgate cassette relevant information. I have this posted elsewhere but a second Pic does no harm.

17283359167693935007055982091400.jpg
17283359606763150248069505368860.jpg

Back