DVD-Video Audio Playback Error With Oppo 105

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wavelength

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I am playing a dvd-video (movie) on my Oppo 105. When I press the Audio option on the remote, 3 audio options pop-up: English Dolby Digital Stereo, French Dolby Digital, and English Dolby Digital.

English Dolby Digital Stereo is the default selection and plays fine through my left and right analog out channels.

When I select the 3rd option - English Dolby Digital - I get a "Operation blocked by disc" error. I am choosing this option to access the surround soundtrack and play it through the multi-channel analog outs.

The back cover of the disc case states that Dolby Surround is supported. Can someone tell me why I am getting this error and how to enable the surround sound option?

You're sure there's no audio/language setup menu accessible from the main disc menu? That's pretty unusual for a DVD.

There's nothing you can do about 'Operation blocked by disc' means that the authoring of the disc is such that it specifically forbids what you're trying to do, there's no way around it outside ripping the disc and making a file like an MKV or something and watching it that way.

You're sure there's no audio/language setup menu accessible from the main disc menu? That's pretty unusual for a DVD.

There's nothing you can do about 'Operation blocked by disc' means that the authoring of the disc is such that it specifically forbids what you're trying to do, there's no way around it outside ripping the disc and making a file like an MKV or something and watching it that way.
There is a Language setup menu but it only gives an English/French option - nothing in the way of a Dolby Digital selection. Guess I'm out of luck.

There is a Language setup menu but it only gives an English/French option - nothing in the way of a Dolby Digital selection. Guess I'm out of luck.

I wonder if they forgot to attach the actual 5.1 DD file when they were doing the authoring, so the 3rd audio stream is basically "empty" and that's why your player won't switch to it. The only way to know for sure would be to rip the disc and see what you get - have you tried searching around on the web for reviews and see if there are other mentions of the same issue?

Since you suggested it, I did some searching but didn't find anything about an audio issue. Maybe someday if I ever get into ripping discs I'll give that a go.

Field of Dreams. 1998 Universal Home Video
s-l400.jpg

My recollection on this is hazy, but this title has always been a hot mess on home video. In fact, I want to say the early DVD releases were sourced from the same master Universal struck for the LaserDisc box set. You appear to have a bare-bones, one disc DVD-9 version of the film that came out in 2003. According to the Blu-ray.com database, there are only two confirmed audio playback options...

Screen Shot 2024-08-27 at 9.10.26 AM.png

This version was quickly replaced with a two disc DVD-9 set boasting digitally remastered video and new audio. This is the one I had back in the day and I can vouch for it having (lossy) Dolby Digital and DTS surround playback.

Screen Shot 2024-08-27 at 9.12.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-08-27 at 9.34.33 AM.png

This edition came out in two formats, widescreen and also in a full screen 1.33:1 aspect ratio. Why anyone would ever want to watch this film in "pan and scan," is beyond me. BTW, the video on the 2004 disc still sucks. It wasn't until the 2019 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray disc sourced from a new native 4K scan, that the video presentation got the proper upgrade it had been sorely lacking on all previous home video releases.

The bottom line, IMO there is nothing wrong with your OPPO. I point the finger at Universal and a disconnect between the disc packaging and the actual disc.

That doesn't appear to be the case. The copyright/release date is the same on both the disc and the disc packaging - 1998.
Pretty sure the copyright/release date is 1989 and that is the copyright for the original theatrical release. The first DVD edition came out in 2003 as a two disc set, but Universal quickly followed up with the (scaled back) one disc "All Stars" edition you have. This was common practice at the time to provide rental chains and discount stores like Walmart with lower cost editions of "movie only" DVDs. The version you have is a clone of "Disc 1" from the original two disc set. Here's a DVD Beaver technical spec comparison of the original 2003 release with the remastered 2004 edition. AFAIK, the 2003 disc does not have a DD 5.1 surround encode. I hope this helps.

Screen Shot 2024-08-27 at 11.09.26 AM.png
Screen Shot 2024-08-27 at 11.09.54 AM.png

Back