HiRez Poll Morissette, Alanis - JAGGED LITTLE PILL [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Blu-Ray of Alanis Morissette - JAGGED LITTLE PILL

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
I don't have an issue with your vote. It's the "feels to me like putting music in a software and just let it do the job" comment I found bothersome.

It had been awhile since I listened to this album and forgot how much I liked it. It is one of those albums that got played so much when it first came out and the singles were released, that I had to put it away for awhile. The new Atmos mix sounds great (I'm listening to downmixing in 7.1). The songs alternate between atmospheric minimalism and straight ahead Hard Rock - usually within the same song. The fidelity is great, so no complaints there.

Granted, the entire album is a pissed off, scorned girlfriend/mistress hate fest, and it mostly works, but that makes for a subject sameness across too many of the tracks. I think this actually hurt sales of her next two or three albums because many casual listeners felt they had already heard her message. "We get it. You're mad & hurt. Find a new boyfriend and call us when you get happy." For that reason I'm voting an 8.

Last edited:
Yep. This woman was pissed off. Once you get past thinking of this solely in terms of female angst, you get to a place where most of us have gotten pissed off like that about similar things at some point. It's all relatable.

The lyrics here are pretty awesome. Brutally heartfelt. When the band rocks out, which it does frequently, it reminds me of the Tragically Hip from the same time period. Mid 90's Grunge, seasoned with a little pop-rock. I don't like all Alanis but I really like this album. Unfortunately, the drums are canned, it's a casualty of the era.

Sonics are very good, but not spectacular. It's quite crackable. As @ar surround astutely noted The mix opens this album up in a great way. There is so much more detail to be heard now. Not a lot of gimmicky stuff, but I get the illusion of instrumentation coming from high up on the side walls in some places.

It gets a 9 from me. Close to a 10.

One thing that I've never quite liked about the stereo version of Jagged Little Pill is the perceived 'dense center' on many songs. While there really isn't much compression, that dense center is typical of many stereo recordings, and I don't like the way they upmix to surround. Consequently, I prefer the acoustic version of this stereo album.

However with this Atmos mix, I find that they have done a really nice job spreading the guitars (and everything else) around the sound field thus making the album a more listenable surround sound experience. I'm very pleased with it.

All I can find about the people involved with the Atmos remix is that it is credited to Dolby Studios. I wonder who actually made the mix.

Highly recommended.
I agree with everything you have said about the quality of the sound but there seems to be one huge abhorrent mistake. There is no Your House at the end. It was a "hidden" track on the cd where it appears after a few minutes of silence after Wake Up. How is this possible. It's like Abbey Road without Here Comes The Sun. Very frustrating. Rant over.

I agree with everything you have said about the quality of the sound but there seems to be one huge abhorrent mistake. There is no Your House at the end. It was a "hidden" track on the cd where it appears after a few minutes of silence after Wake Up. How is this possible. It's like Abbey Road without Here Comes The Sun. Very frustrating. Rant over.
I never knew that there was that hidden track on the end of the CD. And did you mean Abbey Road without Her Majesty rather than Here Comes The Sun?

Your House is an "a capella" track anyway, which isn't really suited for Atmos IMO. And, even though it's a nice one, I used to stop the album most of the times after Wake Up, so it's very far from a deal breaker for me. As usual, YMMV.

Most of the Atmos mixes I have purchased were recorded in the 70's. It was nice to see this mix took full advantage of having more to work with to create a very full surround sound. It definitely blows away what was a very nice stereo mix in its time. Not perfect, but I gave it a 10 for giving new life to one of the 90's biggest records.

10 from me. Love it! Somewhat adventurous atmos mix at times which I’m a fan of. Wish more atmos mixes stopped playing it safe. I ran speaker wire through my ceiling, let’s make those speakers work!

I come back quiet my tail between my slapped legs. The hidden track Your House, wasn't on the LP when it was released, only the CD. I ranted, was slapped, politely, by Rhino, and corrected. I still think it should have been on there and, I'm sure, you could do something beautiful with Atmos with an acapella song.

I never knew that there was that hidden track on the end of the CD. And did you mean Abbey Road without Her Majesty rather than Here Comes The Sun?
Yes, you are right but I was just making, as I now know, an ill-informed statement about how important I felt that track was to miss off. Although, it wasn't on the original LP, only the CD.

Back