HiRez Poll Ellington, Duke - NEW ORLEANS SUITE [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Duke Ellington - NEW ORLEANS SUITE

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this brand new reissue of the classic Duke Ellington album "New Orleans Suite".
This reissue on Blu-Ray audio is part of Rhino's ongoing Quadio series and is the first release of the original 1970s Quadraphonic mix for the first time since the 1970s!

(y) :) (n)

DukeEllington_NewOrleansSuite_Quadio_half_scale.png

At long last, the incomparable Duke Ellington in a superbly remastered QUAD BD~A! He wasn't a legend for nothing and his NEW ORLEANS SUITE dedicating many of the tracks to equally legendary jazz icons is no exception. Of course, the personnel on this recording. all jazz greats in their own right, add to the allure! Highest Recommendation and another perfect 10!

The revised liner notes indicate that this remaster was produced by Steve Woolard [aka foraging rhino] so you know the sonics are exceptional!

Product Image

I'd been thinking about my late mother & father when this arrived on the doorstep today (lucky for me as the package was just about open at both ends and unsealed) and The Duke was one of my Dad's musical favourites (probably after Oscar Peterson though), so I had to put it on rather than stick it on the to-listen-to mountain.

It is fantastic. The sound quality is great, the mix is great, and it did make me jump when the 'horns' blasted out of the right rear when I least expected it :ROFLMAO:
The musicianship is just incredible. It also brought back good memories.

So a very solid 10 from me.

I'd been thinking about my late mother & father when this arrived on the doorstep today (lucky for me as the package was just about open at both ends and unsealed) and The Duke was one of my Dad's musical favourites (probably after Oscar Peterson though), so I had to put it on rather than stick it on the to-listen-to mountain.

It is fantastic. The sound quality is great, the mix is great, and it did make me jump when the 'horns' blasted out of the right rear when I least expected it :ROFLMAO:

Dunc, another Ellington classic that'll make you JUMP

Have had this Ellington classic in heavy rotation. RHINO indeed knocked it out of the proverbial ballpark!

Mine was also packed loosey goosey with no tape, but the discs survived intact

I keep pinching myself as I just can't believe how much this quadio release is just jazz perfection.

I used to listen to a lot of jazz and big band music on the radio in the mid 70's.
The Big Band show was hosted by Alan Dell.
It was followed by Humphrey Littletons jazz hour.
The Duke was highly regarded then as he is now.
He's so good that Stevie Wonder named a song after him, 'Sir Duke'

This really is a cracking release...a Cool 😎 10

Had it not been for "Quadio" I never would have touched this. Duke Ellington for me congers up images of "Big Band" type music that my/our grandparent's might have listened to. I didn't think that I would like it, but I do.

It is jazz and as someone else stated more "assessable" than Mingus. While I much prefer something like Deodato and Airto over this, I was pleasantly surprised by this release. If you don't like jazz at all I wouldn't bother. If you do then go for it!

The mix is excellent, at times it became rather front oriented but then you are blasted by horns from the rear! I'm voting eight, my vote would be higher if I was a jazz fan!

When the rears come in this big, so big, and even bigger than that....it makes you wanna cry....this is stellar...a really big stellar disc. We are so fortunate. Oh, and by the way...the piano up in front is big too.

Hey dwight! Good to hear from you around these parts. Hope all is well.

This is one of those CD-4 albums that I bought in the cut-outs back in the late 70s, early '80s, because it was a Quadradisc that I did not have, and it filled a check box on my list. I honestly don't think I ever played it.

When I heard it was to be a Quadio, I wasn't that interested. I really don't know why but mostly because it wasn't my normal kind of listen.

However, when I got it and listened to it, I was really blown away. I mean sure, now I am 71 and not 30, and my musical tastes have obviously broadened and matured, but this is one heck of a listen and a great quadraphonic listen.

I love this type of music now and this is a real go-to for chilling and just relaxing and admiring the performance and the mix. It's really a great release.

I know it's hard for young rockers to get into stuff like Mingus, Duke, and Gil Evans, but really, these are gems and it's so great that they have been literally salvaged out of the scrap heap of the '70s and not just revived but reborn.

I would bet that Donald Fagen would love these disc!

Jon, Sometimes, with all the transitional change in audio, you forget that quad was four big ones in the corners. This brought to mind those great demonstrations I heard in NYC, before I could afford the equipment that defined my future.
Almost a year ago, we decided to move back to the east coast. I packed up all of my 40 yr old stuff and have just finishe d putting everything together for a listen....deprived for almost a year...the floor is still covered with my tears...the quality sound from every channel was a reminder of what caused this insane and delightful hobby....and thank god for QQ.

This is not my "normal" type of music that I usually listen to. Some jazz can really get on my nerves. That being said, this is another Quadio that totally blew me away!

Not only did I enjoy the stunning fidelity and the mix, but I really enjoyed the music -- something I never would have purchased if it weren't for quad. I've already listened a couple of times to this all the way through. It's like being on stage (or in the studio) with the band. The surround is exceptionally natural.

Another 10 by Rhino! (And thank you for expanding my musical horizons!)

This is not my "normal" type of music that I usually listen to. Some jazz can really get on my nerves. That being said, this is another Quadio that totally blew me away!

Not only did I enjoy the stunning fidelity and the mix, but I really enjoyed the music -- something I never would have purchased if it weren't for quad. I've already listened a couple of times to this all the way through. It's like being on stage (or in the studio) with the band. The surround is exceptionally natural.

Another 10 by Rhino! (And thank you for expanding my musical horizons!)
Thank you for this post! I was getting ready to post something similar!

I stay away from ranking the quality of these quadio's because honestly Ive been listening to them in stereo playing thru 4 speakers. It's a surround sound technically, but no separation. I truly envy our members when they describe their listening experience, of our beloved quad.
This disc has such a pleasant sound that I played it twice back to back. A solid 10 in stereo
It will be a hard decision once my quad arrives, between Duke and War, to be the first played thru my restored Sansui

Back