Fish - Vigil in a Wilderness of Mirrors and Internal Exiles to be mixed in Atmos (4CD+BluRay Deluxe Sets Shipping July 29, 2024)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been following this thread with interest, as I've not decided yet whether this is worth purchasing or not (the editions aren't cheap), and I'm constantly getting confused between @splinter and @splinter7 :ROFLMAO:
I'd say they are worth it for sure. Both of these albums are top notch and I think the Atmos mix which I have heard so far (Internal Exile) is very well done. Throw in the beautiful packaging, book, documentaries, promo videos, associated tracks, numerous live shows etc... and I really can't think of what else you could realistically hope would be included. While these are not cheap per se I still say they provide immense value considering these are releases organized by the artist themselves and you aren't being help hostage by a several hundred dollar box set loaded with LP's, posters, etc....

It's a real shame they didn't give A Feast Of Consequences the same treatment. I'd love to hear that one in 5.1 or Atmos. Given the artwork and powerful, well reviewed music it's hard to understand why they skipped it for surround. Surely they didn't lose the multis for such a recent album. :eek:
Feast is his best IMO.

Received mine yesterday.
I've not listened to either before.
Comparing like for like, after a couple of plays, I'm leaning towards Vigil In A Wilderness of Mirrors, as having the slightly better content and mix.
Vigil was always the better album, IMO. Better songs and also sonically. I loved the Marillion albums that Chris Kimsey produced (Misplaced Childhood and Clutching at Straws) and always thought that he had a very important hand in the final result. When Internal Exile came out, I realised that when the songs just don't cut it, there is only so much that a brilliant producer can do.

Vigil was always the better album, IMO. Better songs and also sonically.

When Internal Exile came out, I realised that when the songs just don't cut it, there is only so much that a brilliant producer can do.

I disagree there.

While ‘Vigil’ probably works better together as a collection of songs - There is nothing weak about “Shadow Play”, ‘Internal’ , ‘Tongues” & ‘Dear Friend”.

The only cut doesn’t work for me is ‘favorite stranger’ which kind of equals ‘The Voyeur’ off of the first album.

And ’Credo’ It is an absolute monster of a song.

I think the cover of ‘something in the air’ does kind of throw off the album but that is cool remake.

To each their own but I think Fish did pretty good with solo album #2 but hey what do I know - Polydor dumped him right after that.

Last edited:
just got my "Vigil in a Wilderness of Mirrors" deluxe edition in today and it looks like my "Internal Exile" set will be delivered tomorrow, so I'll just say this once concerning these releases and then we can get back to enjoying them:
why on earth are we still getting the 5.1 mix as LOSSY Dolby Digital audio on a Blu-Ray?!
there should have been enough space for a lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 along with the Dolby Atmos mix (which is essentially Dolby TrueHD 7.1 at its core)
it's a slap in the face to everyone who still has 5.1 set ups and wants to hear the 5.1 mix in its best possible quality
so I will be doing what I did for 13th Star, which is I will create my own custom 5.1 mix from the lossless Dolby Atmos mix

ok, enough griping, now back to our regularly scheduled programming... ;)

why on earth are we still getting the 5.1 mix as LOSSY Dolby Digital audio on a Blu-Ray?!
there should have been enough space for a lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 along with the Dolby Atmos mix (which is essentially Dolby TrueHD 7.1 at its core)
it's a slap in the face to everyone who still has 5.1 set ups and wants to hear the 5.1 mix in its best possible quality
That is disappointing. Is the other audio material on the blu-ray (apart from the Atmos mix) lossy as well?

That is disappointing. Is the other audio material on the blu-ray (apart from the Atmos mix) lossy as well?
Yes. But I doubt you'll hear any difference, given the nature of the source material.

why on earth are we still getting the 5.1 mix as LOSSY Dolby Digital audio
I would not complain about that if the 5.1 mix itself would be better, but as the mix is so far away from the Atmos mix I doubt I will listen to it again anyway (and I do only have a 5.1 setup).

I didn't pre-order these, as I wanted to be sure that the mix was worthwhile, given how expensive they are. I ordered copies late last week after reading a few comments here, and they arrived *very* quickly.

Having given both a couple of spins, I'm certainly happy with both Atmos mixes, played as a Dolby TrueHD stream on a 5.1 system. They're consideably more dynamic than the original CD mixes, which results in the vocals losing a bit of their acerbic edge on some songs. Some may consider this a negative change, but it works for me: The original vocals "as recorded" are just beautiful and they sit perfectly in the extra space provided by the surround field.

They've not been afraid to change the mixes quite significantly, as well as the running order on Exile. The mixes overall are crystal clear, sounding like they were recorded yesterday, they're discrete in all the right places and "breath" with the songs that the CDs never did. Top class remixes IMHO.

I disagree there.

While ‘Vigil’ probably works better together as a collection of songs - There is nothing weak about “Shadow Play”, ‘Internal’ , ‘Tongues” & ‘Dear Friend”.

The only cut doesn’t work for me is ‘favorite stranger’ which kind of equals ‘The Voyeur’ off of the first album.

And ’Credo’ It is an absolute monster of a song.

I think the cover of ‘something in the air’ does kind of throw off the album but that is cool remake.

To each their own but I think Fish did pretty good with solo album #2 but hey what do I know - Polydor dumped him right after that.
With Shadow Play, Tongues and Credo indeed being the high points of the album (great songs indeed), the rest of the songs never really got to me.

Ordered both deluxe editions from the EU shop last Sunday and they were delivered today here in the Netherlands! Did not get a change to listen to them yet, though.

Way back in the beginning of this thread someone said, ask them to ship both together. I did, but got Vigil yesterday and the other one I think today, so looks like I had to pay the double shipping.

If possible, please package and send this and my order of “[Vigil/Exile]” deluxe together in the same parcel, refunding any difference in postage. Thanks!

Way back in the beginning of this thread someone said, ask them to ship both together. I did, but got Vigil yesterday and the other one I think today, so looks like I had to pay the double shipping.

If possible, please package and send this and my order of “[Vigil/Exile]” deluxe together in the same parcel, refunding any difference in postage. Thanks!

hmmm. I placed my original order(s) separately before Fish discovered the error in the mail order setup. It was Simone who suggested to cancel the individual orders and reorder the bundle. "I really don't want you to have to pay the excessive postage. I don't mind to cancel and refund both orders and you can order a bundle". Simone was clear that canceling and reordering was the safest way.

Gonna guess that given it is just the two of them dealing with it, just a request to ship it together was probably missed? I know that Fish asked the those in the UK who ordered separately to just deal with it as favor to him.

Back