Fish - Vigil in a Wilderness of Mirrors and Internal Exiles to be mixed in Atmos (4CD+BluRay Deluxe Sets Shipping July 29, 2024)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My two copies arrived, separately. Vigil and Internal.
I am going to start ripping, I think I will just keep it simple.

Will rip CD's, 1, 2, 3, 4.
On the Blu Ray will just rip the 5.1 and the Atmos.

If I have time I will just watch/listen to the Docs and Concert Audios from the hard disc on player.

If I have time I will just watch/listen to the Docs and Concert Audios from the hard disc on player.
I think the full concerts are more interesting than the collection of individual live tracks on the CDs. Sound quality is so lala, not bad, but more enjoyable if you don't use headphones. But you get the whole live set together including sometimes nice versions of other songs, and of course Fish's banter in between. 😀 I ripped those from the BD into individual tracks to include them in my library.

I think the full concerts are more interesting than the collection of individual live tracks on the CDs. Sound quality is so lala, not bad, but more enjoyable if you don't use headphones. But you get the whole live set together including sometimes nice versions of other songs, and of course Fish's banter in between. 😀 I ripped those from the BD into individual tracks to include them in my library.
OK, thanks, I will check it out.

I have owned these 5 original “official bootleg” CDs since the big man started putting them out in the early '90s.
The best four are represented between the two deluxe sets. They haven't been touched up too much afterwards so the mixes are little harsh (and hence the bootleg labeling.

Missing is "Sushi" but that makes sense as it was a recording off the 'Songs From the Mirror' tour.

As my forum twin @splinter indicated, the sound recording is pretty good and provide a great glimpse at what a Fish concert was like back in the day.
A charismatic front man and a large, beer guzzling fan base that know all the words and are not afraid to out sing the lead lead singer.

'Pigpens Birthday' is my personal favorite. It is from the first solo tour era and is a bit heavy on classic Marillion era songs with the solo band.
"Punch & Judy", "Assassing" & "Lavender/Hearts of Lothian" are powerful and have a slightly different instrumentation. He goes for an acoustic "Sugar Mice" which is kind of a miss. "Kayleigh", on the other hand, with Mark Brzezicki's (Big Country) syncopated & ghost note style drumming gives the song a groove it never had before. Pigpen by the way was the tour bus driver.

"Kayleigh", on the other hand, with Mark Brzezicki's (Big Country) syncopated & ghost note style drumming
I heard that for the first time a couple of days ago and do not appreciate the (slightly) changed drum groove much 😁 Sugar Mice on the other hand I found interesting, although it misses the great moments of the second half.

Missing is "Sushi"
I own (only) that one separately because I attended that tour, so for me the set is complete now 😉

Otherwise everything that you said! He still had a really strong fan base back than, no wonder he thought he could take it up alone.

Before I ask my question just want to say how beautiful these two releases are, absolutely meticulous in every part, art and words, I can tell the passion that went into this from Fish. No stone left unturned.

For you rippers out there: Why are there two Dolby Digital 5.1's? One is called core audio and the other not. They are both
Lossy 24 bit/48Khz. I just don't know enough to have an answer.

As meticulous as the packaging is I, like you, wonder why the DD 5.1? I would have done lossless 5.1 and added the lossless 2024 mix at least of the stereo remix.
Maybe all the video/audio footage took up too much space?

I wondered about that, too, and they are both the same audio-wise. At first I thought one was the 5.1 core of the Atmos mix, but that is not the case. It is both the "tame" 5.1 mix.
Yeah, when I ripped Vigil, I ripped the 5.1 core, noticed it was lossy, so when I ripped Internal 5.1 I ripped both 5.1's and there the same? They must be different, but not for a commoner like me to figure out.

Why are there two Dolby Digital 5.1's?

As seen by MediaInfo, there are only two audio tracks:
- Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos
- AC-3 Dolby Digital 6 channels

Those are the audio tracks that can be selected by the Blu-ray menu.

Some tools 'see' the TrueHD-Atmos substream that is AC-3 DD 5.1, as a 'separate' track that can be extracted individually. This one is the 'downfolded' Atmos mix to 5.1 for retro compatibility players, and it has the 'mix quality' that the Dolby tools 'automatically' generate from the original Atmos mix.

While the stand-alone AC-3 DD track is an additional 5.1 mix crafted apart from the Atmos mix, with the best criteria from the mixing engineer. This is usually delivered in DTS HD-MA 5.1, but in this case it is delivered as AC-3 DD.

It would be a pitty that both AC-3 DD versions would be the same, as that could mean that NO additional 5.1 mix has been separated done.

Or it could be a failure when the authoring of the Blu-ray...

In any case, many thanks to Derek to produce all this... and Simone for the logistics.

As seen by MediaInfo, there are only two audio tracks:
- Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos
- AC-3 Dolby Digital 6 channels

Those are the audio tracks that can be selected by the Blu-ray menu.

Some tools 'see' the TrueHD-Atmos substream that is AC-3 DD 5.1, as a 'separate' track that can be extracted individually. This one is the 'downfolded' Atmos mix to 5.1 for retro compatibility players, and it has the 'mix quality' that the Dolby tools 'automatically' generate from the original Atmos mix.

While the stand-alone AC-3 DD track is an additional 5.1 mix crafted apart from the Atmos mix, with the best criteria from the mixing engineer. This is usually delivered in DTS HD-MA 5.1, but in this case it is delivered as AC-3 DD.

It would be a pitty that both AC-3 DD versions would be the same, as that could mean that NO additional 5.1 mix has been separated done.

Or it could be a failure when the authoring of the Blu-ray...

In any case, many thanks to Derek to produce all this... and Simone for the logistics.
Yes, correct and thank you for the explanation. The tool that I noticed the two selections was MKV for the rip, oh well obviously doesn't mean anything but I now know a little more.

Yeah, when I ripped Vigil, I ripped the 5.1 core, noticed it was lossy, so when I ripped Internal 5.1 I ripped both 5.1's and there the same? They must be different, but not for a commoner like me to figure out.
Mark, do you use the 5.1 rip in your car or something? Else, why bother ripping it?

Fish reported that all the pre-orders have been sent out as of today. The last yorkie was picked up and is gone. I guess if you don't receive a shipping email by Monday it will be time to send them an inquiry.

With tour rehearsal 4 weeks off, he also stated that he is going stop offering an autographed option on orders starting August 25th. Simple reason, he isn't going to be around to sign anything. I admit it seems a bit much to pay for the autograph but as he himself put it, it was funding the hot tub for the croft ;)

Mark, do you use the 5.1 rip in your car or something? Else, why bother ripping it?
Good question.
Usually the Blu Rays I rip all, just in case I sell a disc, or disc rot or something, and yes I do use the 5.1's in the car but I am so far behind as my car was out of commission for 10 months and just got it back 3 weeks ago, and have been aggressively working on it, hope to have it finished end of this weekend, then I will go through basically the last year of rips and see what makes it to car.
It's weird, music I like at home sometimes I don't like in the car. The car is super nearfield listening in either 4.0 or 5.1 and definitely sounds different in the car.
I kind of like that amped up rock music in the car, Rush in 5.1 is great.

Back