Florida hurricane

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I live in Cali now, I still have a house in the Clearwater/Largo area that's for sale (still!). I have an awesome neighbor who was kind enough to
put my storm shutters up before he bugged out. The wife and I moved here in June. After 38 years of watching the hurricanes become bigger and more unpredictable we'd had enough. Florida's a mess. Good luck to all of you there.
The San Juaquin Valley has its own set of weather issues, too. I was born and raised around Bakersfield and I could never live there again. (n)

Milton is now intensifying into a CAT 5 or very close to it. According to the Weather channel the trajectory is still uncertain but it will hit the Western Florida coast Thursday morning and will also head inland towards Orlando as well. As rain is currrently falling in most of those areas the ground will also be saturated ahead of the hurricane.

Another problem has surfaced...all the debris from the last storm was never picked up by the city...so faced with all this debris in your yard...which would become projectiles aimed at your house....people have gone to landfills and dump site to unload this stuff...there are so many people that it takes 3 hours to get to the actual dump site

While I live in Cali now, I still have a house in the Clearwater/Largo area that's for sale (still!). I have an awesome neighbor who was kind enough to
put my storm shutters up before he bugged out. The wife and I moved here in June. After 38 years of watching the hurricanes become bigger and more unpredictable we'd had enough. Florida's a mess. Good luck to all of you there.
California's not immune to hurricanes, unfortunately. Global warming is making a mess of weather patterns all over the world. But at least we don't have earthquakes!

From the NWS this afternoon
IMG_1499.jpeg

This is a more precise description of the storm

A 25 minute explanation of 'deep doo doo.' Just communicated with a buddy in Florida. The last storm missed him, but he's concerned that Milt will cut his balls off. At least he's keeping up his sense of humor. [P.S. Like just about everyone else from the NY area, I've got relatives in the Tampa area.]

Milt.jpg

I know some people think I must have lost it by staying here...I actually considered leaving after I saw the wind velocity of the storm double in 24 hours.....but that option was closed today...my neighbor tried to get a flight, and they initially took his reservation and cancelled...my friends left earlier today by car and it's like a parking lot on the interstate..
Aside from the sturdiness of my building the other factor is that I'm in zone D...today they ordered mandatory evacuation of zones A,B, and C.. and mobile homes .and in Pinellas county that is over 500,000 people...so I haven't been included...and I doubt I will...it wouldn't make much sense to make it a mandatory evacuation at this late date for my zone...they cann't realistically make a mandatory evacuation of everbody..

I have friends that have homes that are pretty sturdy but they would trade places with me...why...because they will get flooded...it is almost a given...their lawns are saturated and this storm will have much more rain than the last one... I expect to get some water under my sliding glass doors...just hope the sliders hold up...I have to safeguard my Oppo's from water damage...that's something that can't be replaced:)

Regarding surge, nice summary from the WSJ of the $64 question:

“If the hurricane passes to the north of Tampa Bay, its counterclockwise rotation could send a surge of up to 12 feet into the mouth of Tampa Bay, threatening the region’s 3.2 million residents.

If the hurricane passes to the south of Tampa, its rotation could blow water from the bay. Such a reverse storm surge occurred in September 2022 during Hurricane Ian, dropping the bay by 7 feet and stranding boats on mud flats.”

🤞

Back