Florida hurricane

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh. We're good here. Milton did nothing to us beyond a little wind and rain.
Helene was the (last) one that tore us up and damaged the house. We left and went East for that one.
Milton cut in across the state so far down it was a non event here. It did impact my Daughter in Bradenton, but they were only without power two days, and she only lost a wood fence in back. She has solar on the roof but I guess it's set up to feed the grid only. Don't understand all I know about that....

Idalia last year, Debbie and Helene this year, hit us pretty hard though, and cleanup continues.

A fellow forum member that does not live in Florida now, has family down in the general Brooksville area on the Withlacoochie River where the rising water and downed trees gave them major problems and his parents had to bail from their home.

She has solar on the roof but I guess it's set up to feed the grid only. Don't understand all I know about that....

Most home solar installations are set up such that if the grid is down, the solar system is down. They are rigged this way to prevent the solar installation from back-feeding power into the grid and electrocuting linemen.

Some more sophisticated systems have a grid isolation switch which allows the homeowner to get power from the solar system without backfeeding power into the grid.

I don't know why all solar installations typically do not come with this isolation switch. My brother in law's system has one and whole house generators have them.

Most home solar installations are set up such that if the grid is down, the solar system is down. They are rigged this way to prevent the solar installation from back-feeding power into the grid and electrocuting linemen.

Some more sophisticated systems have a grid isolation switch which allows the homeowner to get power from the solar system without backfeeding power into the grid.

I don't know why all solar installations typically do not come with this isolation switch. My brother in law's system has one and whole house generators have them.
Yes. Transfer switch.
I have a 30A plug connected to my power that I use a 10 gauge extension cord I made between the generator and the plug. I don't have a transfer switch, I just throw the main breaker so it doesn't backfeed.

I think next year I'm going to try and upgrade my generator, mine will only push 5kW steady draw, and get one that will at least do a 50A circuit so that means I'll have to get the plug/receptacle for 50A. Would love to have one to push 200A and connected to a transfer switch but that's out of my price range.

Back