Frank Zappa Waka/Wazoo Deluxe 4CD + Blu-Ray 5.1 and Atmos!!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure. I don't have a problem with mixes that are strong in the rears, as many quads are, if that's the mixer's intention. I didn't mean to start a controversy about the Zappa Atmos mixes, or impugn them at all; I was just reporting how they sound on my 5.1 system, as compared to most other streaming Atmos mixes. I think sjcorne explained it, that I'm hearing all content intended for the Atmos sides in my rear speakers, perhaps even more so since I don't have an Atmos-capable AVR. Maybe the Zappa mixes are more side-heavy than most Atmos mixes? No idea, all I know is that I'm barely hearing anything in my front speakers with them and the center is mostly bass, and I was just curious if others were hearing the same thing. That has been well-answered, so we can all move on.

I am very glad these albums have come out in surround, and I hope we will see lots more Zappa in Atmos. And 5.1, which some of us do still care about. My listening room is not conducive to adding side or height speakers (open floorplan on one side, fireplace & bookshelves filling up the other side, high vaulted ceiling).
I feel like I'm in a music bubble with these mixes, but there are lots of content in the heights and surround back speakers, and some tracks may seem a little towards the rear.

I've looked into upgrading my main listening room to Atmos and it doesn't make much sense. Too much equipment would need to be replaced or bought ($$$) and the placement all seems like a hassle for some newer platform that may not even last. Remember 3D TVs? I don't need 3D sound. 5.1 and QUAD is good enough, when the mixes are done right it's phenomenal, see King Crimson, Yes, Jethro Tull, Gentle Giant and all the great QUAD conversions that have been privately done over the last bunch of years.

I've looked into upgrading my main listening room to Atmos and it doesn't make much sense. Too much equipment would need to be replaced or bought ($$$) and the placement all seems like a hassle for some newer platform that may not even last. Remember 3D TVs? I don't need 3D sound. 5.1 and QUAD is good enough, when the mixes are done right it's phenomenal, see King Crimson, Yes, Jethro Tull, Gentle Giant and all the great QUAD conversions that have been privately done over the last bunch of years.
I have lots of 5.1 and 4.0 discs, but I don't play them much anymore, Atmos is so much more fun.:cool:

I feel like I'm in a music bubble with these mixes, but there are lots of content in the heights and surround back speakers, and some tracks may seem a little towards the rear.

I had To lower the rears slightly to get a more balanced sound too.

This sounds like you’re just trying to talk yourself out of it on a public forum ha

I usually have my rears set at slightly higher levels than the fronts, and assumed it is because my ears point in the forward direction (of course), and my hearing of the rear chans needs that extra boost because of that. And I love listening to those odder bits of music that appear in those channels so much anyway. All the cool overdubs, of harmony parts, supporting parts, etc. after knowing the main parts more intimately anyway, its often where the cream is for me.

Huh, are y'all able to listen to this in Atmos via Apple Music? When I open the links on my phone they do indeed say Atmos, but even when I then save those to a playlist and open them on my AppleTV (or do a fresh search for them), they're not showing up as Atmos and I can't play them as such.

Huh, are y'all able to listen to this in Atmos via Apple Music? When I open the links on my phone they do indeed say Atmos, but even when I then save those to a playlist and open them on my AppleTV (or do a fresh search for them), they're not showing up as Atmos and I can't play them as such.
Yes.
Don't scare me like that. 👻

Yes.
Don't scare me like that. 👻
Oh wow, I just figured it out, and it's next-level dumb. So, because I had both Wazoo and Waka-Jawaka saved in my "collection", no matter where I searched, where I found it, what playlist I added it to or where I played it from, etc., it was defaulting to the stereo version I had saved. Couldn't even locate the Atmos version, it was like "blocked out" by the saved stereo version (this makes no sense to me). I had to delete both albums from my collection and then when I searched, the Atmos version appeared—which I now can save and play. 🙄

Last edited:
Oh wow, I just figured it out, and it's next-level dumb. So, because I had both Wazoo and Waka-Jawaka saved in my "collection", no matter where I searched, where I found it, what playlist I added it to or where I played it from, etc., it was defaulting to the stereo version I had saved. Couldn't even locate the Atmos version, it was like "blocked out" by the saved stereo version (this makes no sense to me). I had to delete both albums from my collection and then when I searched, the Atmos version appeared—which I now can save and play. 🙄
That right there is the most frustrating thing about Apple Music. If you have a large music library of mp3-quality rips from way back when, there is constant conflict when you just want to stream the Atmos version. It got so bad for me, I deleted almost my entire music library (actually, I just moved it so that Apple Music doesn't see it anymore) and I now stick exclusively to the Apple Music streaming version going forward.

Last edited:
I’m not a Frank Zappa music fan (although I think he’s a musical genius), but I’ve been listening to Waka/Jawaka and it is very impressive to me in Atmos.

I think if this was available as a stand-alone Bluray, I’d buy it.

The full Zappa '75 Live in Yugoslavia is now available for streaming in stereo.

In the fall of 1975, towards the tail end of a typically productive and prolific year that included finishing production on the One Size Fits Allalbum, a spring tour with Captain Beefheart (immortalized on the live album, Bongo Fury, released in October of that year), and a performance of orchestral works, Frank Zappa and his band The Mothers played their first and only shows in Yugoslavia while in the midst of their fall tour. The “Mothers of Invention Yugoslavian Extravaganza” as Zappa called it took place in Zagreb and Ljubljana (now the capital cities of Croatia and Slovenia respectively) on November 21st and 22nd, 1975 with the short-lived and slightly stripped-down lineup of Andre Lewis (keyboards), Napoleon Murphy Brock (tenor sax and lead vocals), Norma Bell (alto sax, vocals), Roy Estrada(bass) and Terry Bozzio (drums). In characteristically Zappa fashion, The Maestro made sure to record these historical shows behind the Iron Curtain.

https://www.zappa.com/news/presenting-zappa-75-zagreb-ljubljana-coming-oct-14-2022-pre-order-now

Back