Frank Zappa Waka/Wazoo Deluxe 4CD + Blu-Ray 5.1 and Atmos!!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had my Saturday morning coffee and a focused listen to Wazoo in Atmos. My God, what a gift that this exists. Cranking it just enough so that I could feel the thump of every bass drum hit, and I was fully enveloped by this otherworldly music... the sweet spot emerged and I was transported.

I really kinda can't believe this exists. If someone asked me to guess what Zappa might ever get mixed for Atmos I would have hoped for this but assumed something else, and also that there'd be a bunch in line ahead of these and we might never get here. To lead with Wazoo and Waka just shows that we've got some inspired minds pulling the strings and I can't wait to see what's next.

To me personally, this is everything I love about Frank—and is as good as it gets. The humor and playfulness is in the music itself, and it's a joy to see what he's gonna do next and to pick out the little nuances and nods. The arrangements, the layering, the construction of it all... just brilliant and complex without beating you over the head with it. Everything you love about a composer that can run rings around you but it's still accessible. The sleazy funk of the main groove of Eat That Question. The emotional and understated beauty of the whole feel of Blessed Relief, let alone the solos on flugelhorn, that candy-like electric piano, that signature guitar tone from Frank. Jeez, the tone selections and combinations on everything.

What a way to start the day. I sat there thinking "I'd like to start every day like this." A gem.

Just had my Saturday morning coffee and a focused listen to Wazoo in Atmos. My God, what a gift that this exists. Cranking it just enough so that I could feel the thump of every bass drum hit, and I was fully enveloped by this otherworldly music... the sweet spot emerged and I was transported.

I really kinda can't believe this exists. If someone asked me to guess what Zappa might ever get mixed for Atmos I would have hoped for this but assumed something else, and also that there'd be a bunch in line ahead of these and we might never get here. To lead with Wazoo and Waka just shows that we've got some inspired minds pulling the strings and I can't wait to see what's next.

To me personally, this is everything I love about Frank—and is as good as it gets. The humor and playfulness is in the music itself, and it's a joy to see what he's gonna do next and to pick out the little nuances and nods. The arrangements, the layering, the construction of it all... just brilliant and complex without beating you over the head with it. Everything you love about a composer that can run rings around you but it's still accessible. The sleazy funk of the main groove of Eat That Question. The emotional and understated beauty of the whole feel of Blessed Relief, let alone the solos on flugelhorn, that candy-like electric piano, that signature guitar tone from Frank. Jeez, the tone selections and combinations on everything.

What a way to start the day. I sat there thinking "I'd like to start every day like this." A gem.
Motivated by your post and my 50 year love of all things Zappa I did the same! Thank you!

I like his instrumental stuff best. Same goes for Robert Fripp and some Gentle Giant. Too avant guard... except of course the pieta of 20th century music, Dancing Fool. :D

Spanish, Cubano raised in P.R. and then moved to the states in 84'. The reason prog rock and fusion is my preferred choice of music, when you don't understand the language the lyrics get in the way of the music. By now I understand it but during my teenage years what a chore. Hey I am not alone I am sure plenty of Europeans and Japanese agree with me. Why prog rock and fusion is also very much liked over there and the reason I call apple music on being a massive discriminator on the atmos mixes of these two types of music that quite frankly are ideal for Atmos remixing....

Spanish, Cubano raised in P.R. and then moved to the states in 84'. The reason prog rock and fusion is my preferred choice of music, when you don't understand the language the lyrics get in the way of the music. By now I understand it but during my teenage years what a chore. Hey I am not alone I am sure plenty of Europeans and Japanese agree with me. Why prog rock and fusion is also very much liked over there and the reason I call apple music on being a massive discriminator on the atmos mixes of these two types of music that quite frankly are ideal for Atmos remixing....
As much as I like Frank going on about not eating yellow snow, it is the jam sessions that keep me coming back and wanting more.

For those of you who like previews. I never listen to them. I wait to enjoy the full releases when I get them.

His music is still ahead of our time.

The pricing on this one may be more than I prefer, but finally getting some studio albums in a modern surround physical format will be well worth it IMO. And two albums to boot, 😌

Reactions: SHB
$78 incl shipping and tax...that's not too bad. I'll wait to see if an online retailer like Amazon will have it cheaper though.

Reactions: SHB
Back