HiRez Poll Graham Central Station - GRAHAM CENTRAL STATION [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Graham Central Station - GRAHAM CENTRAL STATION

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this brand new reissue of the classic self-titled album from Graham Central Station.
This reissue on Blu-Ray Audio is part of Rhino's ongoing Quadio series and is the first release of the original Quadraphonic mix since the 1970s!

(y) :) (n)

GrahamCentralStation_GCS_Quadio_half_scale.png

Larry Graham was a huge influence on Prince, and toured with him a number of times in the late '90s/early '00s era. Prince also produced Graham's GCS 2000 album, and covered The Jam (from AIn't No Bout-a-Doubt It, the other GCS album with a quad mix, and a phenomenal one at that) a bunch of times in concert.

Graham Central Station set a gold standard in funkiness.
This album just makes me smile with it's gorgeous, funky sound.
Yep, Prince knew a good tune alright and Larry Graham knew how to get your feet a tapping with them funky licks.
How lucky are we to have these albums reissued with Rhinos remixing in fantastic quad.
A funkylicious 10

Wiki extract...
Larry Graham Jr. (born August 14, 1946) is an American bassist and baritone singer, with the psychedelic soul/funk band Sly and the Family Stone and as the founder and frontman of Graham Central Station.[1] In 1980, he released the single "One in a Million You", which reached the top ten on the US Billboard Hot 100. He is credited with the invention of the slapping technique on the electric bass guitar, which radically expanded the tonal palette of the bass, although he himself refers to the technique as "thumpin' and pluckin'".[2]

Still going strong at 77

My only quibble with this disc is a weird, obscure one: The 1974 WB Loss Leader Hard Goods opened with "We've Been Waiting" immediately followed by "Can You Handle It." So for half a century that's been the "proper" flow in my head.

But it's still a 10.

If it read like I was trying to start something negative, I apologize. I meant to just agree with you and point out that the influence ran deep.
Oh no, not at all, I was just trying to find a clever way to say I had a thought about mentioning that in my initial post too but it felt like it just wasn't going to end well, so I self-edited.

I was originally going to give this a 9, but upon further listens, I have to go with a 10. Really good. I just hope we get Ain't no bout... which is even better. I think we need an 11 on the poll. :)

While I've heard of Graham Central Station I was not familiar with it before purchasing it. As was pointed out it is a bit like Sly & the Family Stone. Perhaps a bit denser mix than most Sly. I think it was track five "Tell Me What It Is" that was the most Sly like, if you didn't know the artist you might have guessed that track to be Sly & the Family.

Great sound quality and great mix. I'm voting nine.

Back