Grilling, Barbeque/Asado Thread - QQ Style :)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to a buddy's house to partake in some sort of 9-9-9 challenge: 9 hot dogs and 9 beers (Topo Chico mineral water for me) during 9 innings of baseball. Here are the dogs:
Screenshot 2024-05-27 at 9.49.01 PM.png

Here i am eating hot dog #6:

Screenshot 2024-05-27 at 9.45.56 PM.png

9 was too easy. I miss beer. And the White Sox lost . . . as they are wont to do!

So, my company bought me a Meater wireless probe. I can't get the piece of shit to work. I mean, I have a connection while I'm outside near the grill. The minute I go inside the house, no connection. REally? What's the point I guess?

Same with mine @GOS.
The original Meater Probe has almost zero range. You literally have to be within 150 feet and direct eyesight. My wife got it for me @xmas.

She thought I would love it. Didn’t want to tell her, she thought she did so good.

Secretly, I got competitive version called TempSpike. Still not the greatest, but it is light years better than the original Meater.

It has a repeater base so at least you stay connected for up to about 500 feet. I put the base on the kitchen window sill and I can stay connect around the first floor of the house.

Supposedly Meater has an improved version but I am not going to give it a chance.

Same with mine @GOS.
The original Meater Probe has almost zero range. You literally have to be within 150 feet and direct eyesight. My wife got it for me @xmas.

She thought I would love it. Didn’t want to tell her, she thought she did so good.

Secretly, I got competitive version called TempSpike. Still not the greatest, but it is light years better than the original Meater.

It has a repeater base so at least you stay connected for up to about 500 feet. I put the base on the kitchen window sill and I can stay connect around the first floor of the house.

Supposedly Meater has an improved version but I am not going to give it a chance.
Oh hell. Really??? What a disappointment. I can't believe it doesn't work better than this. Essentially, it's worthless to me. If I want to stand outside near the grill, I'd do that.

Oh hell. Really??? What a disappointment. I can't believe it doesn't work better than this. Essentially, it's worthless to me. If I want to stand outside near the grill, I'd do that.
Bummer. I looked at the Meater products and their kinda expensive. I just use a cheapie Maverick from Lowes I bought a few years ago. It connects by Bluetooth which is usually short range but the connection is always solid.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Maverick-L...459264?idProductFound=false&idExtracted=false

We have an outdoor TV. So I watch it when I grill. But you have one of those slow cook smoker beasts, right? So you don’t want to be out there all day!

The grill is 14’ from the kitchen window.
If the window is closed, I lose the signal on the Meater. If the window is open, I get maybe 4’ feet. Meater wasn’t that sympathetic when I complained about the weak range.

I really like the wireless probes as it is so much easier to pull a piece of meat out to wrap or unwrap without the wire from my grill’s control unit getting in the way.

Attachments

• IMG_5222.jpeg
    IMG_5222.jpeg
    3 MB
The grill is 14’ from the kitchen window.
If the window is closed, I lose the signal on the Meater. If the window is open, I get maybe 4’ feet. Meater wasn’t that sympathetic when I complained about the weak range.

I really like the wireless probes as it is so much easier to pull a piece of meat out to wrap or unwrap without the wire from my grill’s control unit getting in the way.
All companies seem to be full of shit when it comes to claims for the range of their devices. I have an Altec blue tooth speaker for the outdoor TV. The range is supposed to be 75 feet, but it is nowhere near that. Of course the Altec FAQ section has a multitude of reasons why that is the case.

Agree completely @ar surround

Meater tried to tell me use their cloud with the original Meater probe stating " Enable MEATER Cloud for unlimited wireless range". To do this they tell you to place a spare device near the probe. "leave one device within Bluetooth range of your MEATER device, ensuring it is connected to the internet via Wi-Fi or Mobile data. With the second device, you can now go anywhere with an internet connection and pick up the information for your cook via the MEATER Cloud". o_O Even with that solution, it isn't unlimited range. I have good wifi coverage in the house but my network doesn't extend to the local hardware store :LOL:

I really don't need the wireless temp spike but I thought it would be a cool gadget and I appreciated that my wife was trying to get me something I would actually use.

I'll stick with my cheaper Tempspike with Bluetooth repeater which give me a range of about 600 feet within the house.
If I was actually good at it, I guess I wouldn't need a probe at all.

Back