How can I stream 5.1/Atmos audio to my PC?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

key_wiz

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I've tried searching the forum for discussion on this topic but couldn't find anything. Forgive me if I'm repeating something that has already been discussed elsewhere.

I stream Tidal and AmazonMusic Atmos titles via a Firestick through my AVR in my 'big' system in the living room. Works fine.

But what I've been trying to do is to get it to stream to my 5.1 PC system in my office. Neither Tidal nor Amazon (Nor Apple for that matter) allow for streaming of Atmos via their websites. I tried hooking up another Firestick to my PC via a small Video Capture device I have and that worked fine -- except that particular device only transmits the audio in stereo.

So I searched online for a video capture device that would send sound in 5.1. I THOUGHT I found one in the Hauppauge! HD PVR 2, so I bought I used one on Ebay, but I get nothing from it when I connect the Firestick. No picture; no audio; nothing. I don't know if the used device I purchased is defective, or if it simply doesn't do what I need it to do.

Is anyone doing something like this? If so, what devices are you using to hook it up?

Thanks in advance.

The simple answer is that so far, it's impossible, only the Android/Apple apps will pass Atmos.

I think this is by design as they're keeping Atmos playback off computers because they feel like it would be too easy for the average user to capture streams, sort of like how we never saw SACD-capable drives for the PC because of the fear of them being ripped.

• Sad
Reactions: GOS
The simple answer is that so far, it's impossible, only the Android/Apple apps will pass Atmos.

I think this is by design as they're keeping Atmos playback off computers because they feel like it would be too easy for the average user to capture streams, sort of like how we never saw SACD-capable drives for the PC because of the fear of them being ripped.
The Hauppauge! device is designed for gamers. Is there really nothing that allows gamers to pass from HDMI to USB in surround?

But as regards Apple -- are you saying that if I used an Apple TV box I'd be able to stream Apple content to my PC? How? Do they have a USB out?

Back