Jethro Tull 5.1 (“Bursting Out” box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in June 2024!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I own every box set Tull has put out. But I'm not getting this one as I have finally come to the realisation that I don't play them more than once after I buy it. The cost of living in Australia has definitely been a huge factor in my decision.
Do you play discs or files? I wouldn't play them either if I had to get discs out. With files, I play selections of them pretty regularly.

So, one day late, it's finally here and I spent the day with it. Some preliminary thoughts, after a first listen:

When this release was announced, I thought it was the icing on the cake of the reissues, but I now think it's absolutely essential. This album has never sounded better. Steven Wilson took a much different approach than the original, and it results in some different choices. I can hear some of the overdubs a little better: for example, there are definitely some extra vocals on "No Lullaby" which aren't merely an echo effect. On the original mix, they blended better, here they get spread around. The ambience also changes during the guitar solo on "Sweet Dream." Those nuances can be a little disconcerting to those who are familiar with the original mix, but I gladly trade them for the clarity of the new version. The new tracks blend well with the program. I'm convinced that "Quatrain" is a different performance on the remix, though: it doesn't match how I'm familiar with it. I'm gonna have to investigate more.

The soundcheck tracks were interesting. The performances were a little tamed, but sonically they are great. The early version of "4WD" was a treat to hear: it's almost majestic (not an adjective that comes to mind when I think about that song) and even Zappaesque. Ian is definitely playing electric rhythm guitar on it! I can understand the thought that the placement of those tracks spoils the flow of the album, but I think of it as a lesser evil. Their running time isn't enough to warrant an extra disc (which would have, pardon my pun, inflated the price) and I'd rather have them than not. There was a break in the set anyway.

I have yet to watch the he MSG show. I only heard some of the stereo mix and it sounded really good, even though the arschloch with the airhorn is still loud and clear. I'm also curious to see how it compares to the 2009 DVD, video-wise.

I have also yet to finish the book, but it really is a fantastic item and one of the reasons this box is essential.

To anyone who's still on the fence, especially due to Ian's self-deprecating statement on the video (which was definitely meant to be humorous): you're missing out. And how!
Yes, I was put off by Ian Anderson's 'self-deprecating statement', which came across as dismissive. But your review has me re-thinking that.

Last edited:
Do you play discs or files? I wouldn't play them either if I had to get discs out. With files, I play selections of them pretty regularly.
Yes I have all the CDs backed up. The DVDs/BluRays are a bit of a problem. I don't have the space to back up 1000s of DVDs etc.
Hopefully they will invent a HD that is 100 TB or bigger

Back