Jethro Tull 5.1 (“Bursting Out” box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in June 2024!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, one day late, it's finally here and I spent the day with it. Some preliminary thoughts, after a first listen:

When this release was announced, I thought it was the icing on the cake of the reissues, but I now think it's absolutely essential. This album has never sounded better. Steven Wilson took a much different approach than the original, and it results in some different choices. I can hear some of the overdubs a little better: for example, there are definitely some extra vocals on "No Lullaby" which aren't merely an echo effect. On the original mix, they blended better, here they get spread around. The ambience also changes during the guitar solo on "Sweet Dream." Those nuances can be a little disconcerting to those who are familiar with the original mix, but I gladly trade them for the clarity of the new version. The new tracks blend well with the program. I'm convinced that "Quatrain" is a different performance on the remix, though: it doesn't match how I'm familiar with it. I'm gonna have to investigate more.

The soundcheck tracks were interesting. The performances were a little tamed, but sonically they are great. The early version of "4WD" was a treat to hear: it's almost majestic (not an adjective that comes to mind when I think about that song) and even Zappaesque. Ian is definitely playing electric rhythm guitar on it! I can understand the thought that the placement of those tracks spoils the flow of the album, but I think of it as a lesser evil. Their running time isn't enough to warrant an extra disc (which would have, pardon my pun, inflated the price) and I'd rather have them than not. There was a break in the set anyway.

I have yet to watch the he MSG show. I only heard some of the stereo mix and it sounded really good, even though the arschloch with the airhorn is still loud and clear. I'm also curious to see how it compares to the 2009 DVD, video-wise.

I have also yet to finish the book, but it really is a fantastic item and one of the reasons this box is essential.

To anyone who's still on the fence, especially due to Ian's self-deprecating statement on the video (which was definitely meant to be humorous): you're missing out. And how!
Fabulous, worth the wait for this post.😁😁

The intro was recorded in Berne but as soon as we cut to No Lullaby we’re in Germany.
This group (technically?) better in sound?

Tracks from May 28, 1978 Festhalle Bern, Switzerland recorded by Robin Black (Maison Rouge mobile 24 track)

CD1
1. Claude Nobs - Introduction by Claude Nobs (Live) [2024 Remaster]

7. Heavy Horses (Live) [2024 Remaster]

9. Flute Solo Improvisation / God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen / Bouree (Medley) [Live] [2024 Remaster]

CD2

3. Too Old to Rock ‘n’ Roll: Too Young to Die! (Live) [2024 Remaster]

6. Cross-Eyed Mary (Live) [2024 Remaster]

8. Aqualung (Live) [2024 Remaster]
9. Locomotive Breath (Live) [2024 Remaster]
10. The Dambusters March (Live) [2024 Remaster]

Another question, I think my last.

CD 1&2 and DVD 1&2, not including soundchecks, have 21 songs (Track 1 is Intro with Claude) equal in order.
That means 20 music tracks.

Original Flat Transfer, has 20 songs, no intro from Claude.
CD2 and DVD2 do not have Track 1 Thick As A Brick, but instead on 2 has Hunting Girl as Track 1.
Note: The original Flat Transfer is only on the DVD 1&2.

Another question, I think my last.

CD 1&2 and DVD 1&2, not including soundchecks, have 21 songs (Track 1 is Intro with Claude) equal in order.
That means 20 music tracks.

Original Flat Transfer, has 20 songs, no intro from Claude.
CD2 and DVD2 do not have Track 1 Thick As A Brick, but instead on 2 has Hunting Girl as Track 1.
Note: The original Flat Transfer is only on the DVD 1&2.
Heavy Horses, Living in the Past and something like half of Songs from the Wood were not on the original release. Thick as a Brick originally was sequenced at the end of side 2 of the original LP but here it’s been moved to the start of the second set to reflect the actual concert order and presentation.

Heavy Horses, Living in the Past and something like half of Songs from the Wood were not on the original release. Thick as a Brick originally was sequenced at the end of side 2 of the original LP but here it’s been moved to the start of the second set to reflect the actual concert order and presentation.
OK, I see, my problem. I used DVDAE for ripping and my mega data tagging is incorrect, completely baffled me.
I went to Discogs, OK now I will just retag manually, the Ordinal Flat Transfer, copy and paste with Discogs, will take me 5 mins.
On the Flat transfer they have track 1 with Claude opening and go right into No Lullaby, whereas on DVD 1 The Claude intro is Track one.
Land mines, no big deal, thanks.

OK, all fixed and tidy, thanks.
Prepping for the Poll Thread.
I have listened to the Soundchecks, the original flat transfer, the 5.1 two DVD's and the 2.0 two DVD's.
I have watched/listened to the DVD 3 Madison Square Gardens, TV show.
I would vote 8 on this new 2024 release.
Significant reasons:
1. I own all the JT box sets and have listened to tons LIVE and this does not really get my wow going compared to the other studio releases witn live extras.
2. Steven Wilson, does not add anything special to this remix in 5.1. In fact I prefer the Steven Wilson 2.0 DVD's more. His phantom center and basically entire front soundstage is too much right and the rears are weak. On this particular live recording Steven Wilson does not rise above others like he is known to do.
3. DVD 3 The TV Show Madison Square Gardens is absolutely fantastic, not for sound but for the concert. The band and Ian Anderson are awesome to watch.
4. I'll just add the sonic clarity of everything is great a 10.

Maybe after writing all this I would vote 9?

Is the poll up for this yet?

I'm a Tull fan from way back, but I've never owned this before. Im not a live album guy. But got to spend a couple of hrs with this today before heading out for some backyard drudgery.

This isn't your run of the mill live mix by any means. It's quite good. Only DVD1 so far. I'm looking forward to the rest.

Not getting the "Around The World Live" DVD set? Same dimensions & format as the others.
I have that ! I kinda feel like it doesn’t belong in the conversation because the audio wasn’t mixed for surround sound and I don’t think it’s particularly presented well. In many ways it was the forerunner for the book packaging style for sure.

Not getting the "Around The World Live" DVD set? Same dimensions & format as the others.

Oh, I could barely afford "Bursting Out" so I'm not spending much in general. I have just started a new job, so maybe in the future. I already had most of that material before its release, though, which is why I never bought it before, even though the official versions are probably upgrades.

Does the bookset have an essay on it? If so, it's an incentive for getting it for sure.

Oh, I could barely afford "Bursting Out" so I'm not spending much in general. I have just started a new job, so maybe in the future. I already had most of that material before its release, though, which is why I never bought it before, even though the official versions are probably upgrades.

Does the bookset have an essay on it? If so, it's an incentive for getting it for sure.
Same talk: :)
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/the-all-jethro-tull-thread.34300/page-21#post-786737

Yes, I discussed it earlier with JulesRules who thought there was a dodgy edition around, but the one I got from jpc.de was kosher.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/the-all-jethro-tull-thread.34300/post-785146

Last edited:
Steven Wilson, does not add anything special to this remix in 5.1. In fact I prefer the Steven Wilson 2.0 DVD's more. His phantom center and basically entire front soundstage is too much right and the rears are weak. On this particular live recording Steven Wilson does not rise above others like he is known to do.
I'm in the middle of DVD 1 right now and I certainly wouldn't say the rears are weak. Aside from the venue ambience, there's usually a keyboard in the left back corner and a piano in right back. They're not completely detached from the front stage, but from the sweet spot these elements seem louder in the rears than the front.

I'm in the middle of DVD 1 right now and I certainly wouldn't say the rears are weak. Aside from the venue ambience, there's usually a keyboard in the left back corner and a piano in right back. They're not completely detached from the front stage, but from the sweet spot these elements seem louder in the rears than the front.
I think he was limited it what he could do with an 8 track recording, that’s why a lot of the audience noise comes in the rear channels. I feel he was able to achieve a balance between having discreet parts coming thru each speaker and also recreating the ambience of the hall (a lot of which, if you read the book, is taken from the Berne show to help smooth out the source changes!)

Agree, thank you.

I agree. There is a good amount of rear activity. Skating away is a trip.

Finally finished ripping the DVD's and listened once to Bursting Out 5.1, the Madison Square Garden Show 5.1 and the soundcheck recordings. Since I've never been a fan of live music without film or video, I never actually owned or heard Bursting Out prior to this release. I wasn't expecting much but was very pleasantly surprised at the fidelity and the mix. Having seen Jethro Tull several times over the years, going all the way back to the US tour for Benefit, the real treat was seeing the video broadcast footage from MSG. If anyone doubts that Ian Anderson was (and is) an incredible musician/showman should just watch any few random minutes of this. Too bad there wasn't more.

While I'm very happy to add this to the reissue collection, and it will get a high rating from me, I doubt that I'll be revisiting it as often as I do the other other studio titles. I'm still very much hoping that Under Wraps and Crest Of A Knave get the deluxe reissue treatment, but to have gotten this far in the JT catalog is still really something.

Back